Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread - Page 17 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Keep/Get Rid Contract Thread

Assuming he hasn’t regressed too much from his first spell here a player like Gunning could be the difference between staying up or getting dragged right into the relegation mix. MCT funding should be going there.  

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

If we were to assume the same system we're now looking at a line up like this:

I don't think that assuming the same line-up provides the best reflection of our current squad and your effort also doesn't show the extent to which certain positions are covered. I prefer this way of picturing our squad, with the alternative cover provided for each position within reason:

GK New/Wylie

RB New/Jacobs CB McLean/New CB McGinty/McAlister LB Strapp/nae cunt

CM Jacobs/McAlister/Blues CM Colville/Millar/Lyon

RAM McGuffie/Nesbitt/Salkeld CAM Oliver/Nesbitt/Omar LAM Nesbitt/Omar/Colville

CF Orsi/Muirhead/Salkeld

Obviously you could argue for Oliver playing on the right or as a centre forward etc. but that's plenty for now. The main positive that I can see is that there is a lot of versatility in the current squad, especially in the attacking areas where covering injuries/suspensions should not be an issue at all. We're also stacked in the centre of midfield where I don't have too many concerns about being able to compete at this level. The defence on the other hand still needs first choice options as well as extra cover so finding a player or two who could do both would be ideal. That central defence would struggle to keep weans out of a close and as previously set out there is no track record of goals from our forward options either. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

"If we can get another 2, 3 quality players, we'll have a really good squad."

😬

Having set the squad out as above I'd kind of agree with this now actually - if by 'very good' Hopkin means 'solid midtable'. The concern though is that the squad will need two or three genuine quality players to make that happen and not completely flounder at the bottom of the league instead. If we add another set of Billy King/Kris Doolan types who have a decent to good CV but can't hack it anymore then we'd be in serious trouble. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There's being polite and there's ripping the pish - I hope it was the latter.

As VT has outlined, we have loads of mediocre options in the middle and wide up top while the defence and goalscoring options are laughable - on a positive though imagine if Ramsbottom had stayed as our first choice keeper! If survival is the height of our ambition this season we are still seriously short of quality. I also suspect the football on offer will be brutal - maybe just as well spectators cannot attend.

The other hooped prototype looks like a ZX Spectrum graphic.

I like it.

23 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

We're so tinpot its unreal. What goes through folks minds??

There's a real air of the blown-up Kick Bishop Brennan Up The Arse graphic in that video. Marvelous stuff.

Everything about that tableau is fucking magnificent. Nothing is quite symmetrical. The current Morton top is hanging off something at a jaunty angle. The ghost of DDF looms over all. The less said about the Anglian Lives segment after the 10 minute mark (during which someone slightly tilts the camera) the better.

None of this is a dealbreaker but it's amazing watching anything that Morton put out, they never, ever check their work and there's always something slightly weird and Craggy Island about it. I love it - genuinely.

EOho8Pw.png

I can't believe that the high production standards of 'A Celebration Of Craggy Island's Ethnic Diversity' is being tarred by association with Morton tbh.

EFL Questionnaire | Sky Blues Talk

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

Where are we pulling all these kits from? We’ve went from not hearing a mouse fart for months to four weekly interviews In the space of 24 hours. 😂

Prototypes before choosing the new home top.

With business effectively recommending on Monday, increased activity isn't all that surprising.

There must be more to this kits stuff. Although if it was never explained it'd be brilliant.

On the subject of 'tinpot' and shoddy marketing etc., does it bother anyone else how many variations of the Morton badge are floating around these days? I saw that Rangers went through a bit of a brand refresh a few weeks ago and it really emphasise how shoddy ours is (although their Photoshop of the crest onto the Finnieston Crane etc. was pretty weird).

Morton quietly launched an updated crest a few years ago but I'm not even sure those currently at the club are aware or if they've just completely forgotten about it. Aside from the mismatch between that and the older version, we've got all sorts of variations that go on to club marketing materials. I'm no branding expert but with all the chat in the last few years about getting the Morton brand out into the community via the Community Trust's work etc., should we not be focussing on putting one version of the club crest out there (at the very least, having the main one and properly defined variations for particular use)?

Here's some examples (with the first having three versions in the one picture, FFS):

DSC_0286-min_925x581_acf_cropped.jpg

D7qnqs6XYAUC5ns?format=jpg&name=medium

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.04.25.png

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.01.05.png

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.05.14.png

ENL6k2mXsAAVVZ5?format=jpg&name=large

EIEEIiMX0AAiqqN?format=jpg&name=large

ESguK0kXYAA56k1?format=jpg&name=large

ESsOl64X0AATINm?format=jpg&name=large

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.12.37.png

This last one is just outrageous:

logo.png

Maybe it's not a big deal but it does my nut in anyway.

32 minutes ago, Deego said:

There must be more to this kits stuff. Although if it was never explained it'd be brilliant.

On the subject of 'tinpot' and shoddy marketing etc., does it bother anyone else how many variations of the Morton badge are floating around these days? I saw that Rangers went through a bit of a brand refresh a few weeks ago and it really emphasise how shoddy ours is (although their Photoshop of the crest onto the Finnieston Crane etc. was pretty weird).

Morton quietly launched an updated crest a few years ago but I'm not even sure those currently at the club are aware or if they've just completely forgotten about it. Aside from the mismatch between that and the older version, we've got all sorts of variations that go on to club marketing materials. I'm no branding expert but with all the chat in the last few years about getting the Morton brand out into the community via the Community Trust's work etc., should we not be focussing on putting one version of the club crest out there (at the very least, having the main one and properly defined variations for particular use)?

Here's some examples (with the first having three versions in the one picture, FFS):

DSC_0286-min_925x581_acf_cropped.jpg

D7qnqs6XYAUC5ns?format=jpg&name=medium

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.04.25.png

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.01.05.png

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.05.14.png

ENL6k2mXsAAVVZ5?format=jpg&name=large

EIEEIiMX0AAiqqN?format=jpg&name=large

ESguK0kXYAA56k1?format=jpg&name=large

ESsOl64X0AATINm?format=jpg&name=large

Screenshot 2020-08-06 at 22.12.37.png

This last one is just outrageous:

logo.png

Maybe it's not a big deal but it does my nut in anyway.

Variety is the spice of Morton life.

Interesting to hear from hopkin, mackinnon etc. All saying pretty much the same things. In terms of the squad it's the every least to expect players, to fight for the jersey but is that enough? Hopkin saying we can add 2/3 more players to have a good squad. There has to be a goalkeeper, right back and a centre back coming in which means we won't be bringing in any other players. Think it's clear to see that we need someone who is going to at least replace the goals that mchugh scored but ideally do better. Can't see a 10/15 a season goalscorer in that squad. 

I like the idea of the crowdies and it sounds like mackinnon has been working behind the scenes to get the new website up and running and also looking at the commercial side and how bring in income. 

All of these prototype tops are just bizarre though. Surely something has to come of these although I wouldn't be surprised if they are auctioned off. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived