Championship 20/21 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 20/21

Jamie_M

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given Hopkin's record on experienced signings I'm not sure it wouldn't be better to just sign up some younger players who might have a bit of value if they end up being good. Worked well enough at Livi.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Watson's one of the better centre backs in the division when fit, but they'll be doing well to get 20 games out of him. It'd be a big risk for us to bring in someone with that injury record when the budget will presumably be even more constrained this season.

Whittaker on the other hand was finished three years ago and I expect even at this level he'll get roasted. As it's a player coach role he's maybe there as a coach first and foremost, but I wouldn't want him near the Morton team as a player.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Hearts have more international goalkeepers on their books than Queen of the South have players.

Wild that Zlamal and Doyle have international caps. A pair of Ryan Scully level dunces.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

From what I’m aware, entry is compulsory to Premiership and Championship clubs and optional to League One and Two clubs, with only Rangers and Celtic getting byes, in spite of Motherwell and Aberdeen also being in Europe.

It would depend on numbers entering what the format is, but I suspect that the only certain entrants from Leagues One and Two would be FalkirKKK, Partick, Cove and Queen’s Park. Dare say the format will be established when numbers are confirmed, and the tournament starting around September.

Incidentally, I note from the Premiership fixture list being announced today that the first Old Firm game is as late as October this year (it was in the last week of August last season), whilst Celtic have on paper their easiest home game and Rangers their most difficult away game (outwith Celtic) to start with, the most likely games to be behind closed doors. It’s almost as if the fixture list has been designed with two clubs’ interests in mind.

I'd be highly surprised if League One and League Two clubs were involved in this season's League Cup at all. I'd imagine they might use the League Cup group stages as a guinea pig for closed door games or games at a neutral 'hub' venue. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

https://news.stv.tv/sport/football/spfl-expecting-full-participation-of-lower-leagues

Everything I have read says they are looking to start it in the International break in October, so basically 2 weeks of group stages before the October leagues start.

Think it was optional for all but Premiership and Championship clubs intimated early that they are all participating. 

Ian Blair expects most clubs to still participate therefore a pretty normal League cup, just shunted and finishing after Christmas rather than before.

The teams who qualified for Europe will continue to get a bye and any teams with players on international duty will be told to just deal with it and get it played.

Scottish cup replays look like being scrapped, for this season anyway, and still discussing the Challenge cup.

While deciding not to participate in the League Cup will possibly allow clubs to save money through not going back to training until a couple of weeks later than other clubs, I think most of them will be desperate to take part - they won't want to give up their share of prize money and it's not outwith the realms of possibility we'll have distanced crowds back in grounds by the start of October, assuming that's when it's held rather than slotting fixtures involving Premiership clubs into midweeks in September and having the all lower league ties at weekends while the Premiership is playing.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

While deciding not to participate in the League Cup will possibly allow clubs to save money through not going back to training until a couple of weeks later than other clubs, I think most of them will be desperate to take part - they won't want to give up their share of prize money and it's not outwith the realms of possibility we'll have distanced crowds back in grounds by the start of October, assuming that's when it's held rather than slotting fixtures involving Premiership clubs into midweeks in September and having the all lower league ties at weekends while the Premiership is playing.

Iain Blair seems to suggest that clubs won't get penalised for opting out so would get a share of prize money anyway.

5 minutes ago, TONgerine said:

Can go with the League and Scottish Cups .

Let's hope that idiot Doncaster has the decency to scrap The Scottish irn Bru,McGhees Rolls Tunnocks Caramel Wafer , invite everybody in the UK whatever it,s called cup .

It's the obvious choice to postpone this season if needs must, but the Challenge Cup and it's foreign entrants must stay. This hiatus gives us the perfect chance to arrange Shetland, Orkney and FC Luch Vladivostok's entry into the 2021/22 Challenge Cup. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Regardless of what you think of the Challenge Cup generally (the correct answer is that the inclusion of foreign teams is brilliant and the only change needed is binning the colts in favour of more Highland & Lowland clubs) there's surely an argument for running it as a pre-season tournament this year with Scottish teams only, also on an opt-in basis. This would obviously have to remain flexible to be decided some time in August when we have a clearer picture of whether crowds will be back at games, but if you get 16 teams interested it could run from mid-September before the League Cup starts? If clubs are back in training from the start of September and would be playing friendlies at that point anyway they're as well getting a trophy and prize money to play for, however meagre it is.

In the also realistic scenario that even distanced crowds aren't possible and/or teams aren't interested, scrapping the whole thing is obviously the way to go. There had been rumours about it not starting until 2021 but I'm not sure it's sensible to be planning fixtures for midweeks in March when there'll inevitably be postponed league games over winter to cram in.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived