Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game - Page 25 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chinese Coronavirus threatens Dundee Utd game

capitanus

20 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I get the bit about coughing and then handling the champagne bottle etc, etc, but not the complaints about the players gathering for the council Christmas message.

After all, they are training and playing together every day, so to line up and shout Merry Christmas shouldn't be played up as a "serious" breach of the regulations.

Same with the club's video, these guys are coming into physical contact with each other every day of the week (no doubt while sweating and breathing heavily) just as the customers of Tesco, Morrisons, The Range and every other large store across the country are every day.

The protocols give them dispensation not to follow guidance when on the pitch, but standard distancing and hygeine rules are to be followed at all other times.

Whether or not you think these are minor breaches due to contact being allowed at other times does not negate the fact they are breaches of protocol (same reason Dundee Utd and Celtic are being hammered for orchestrating team photoshoots).

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I get the bit about coughing and then handling the champagne bottle etc, etc, but not the complaints about the players gathering for the council Christmas message.

After all, they are training and playing together every day, so to line up and shout Merry Christmas shouldn't be played up as a "serious" breach of the regulations.

Same with the club's video, these guys are coming into physical contact with each other every day of the week (no doubt while sweating and breathing heavily) just as the customers of Tesco, Morrisons, The Range and every other large store across the country are every day.

It’s the threat of sanctions rather than the risk of spreading the virus that’s the issue with the squad photo and videos. Jason Leitch made it perfectly clear on Off the Ball on Saturday how angry he was with Dundee United over their squad photo. If the club aren’t aware of what the Clinical Director has to tell the mainstream media about how clubs are conducting themselves then what chance do we have?

You might not agree with the guidelines or how the rules are administered, but football’s at the behest of the Scottish Government and is already on a yellow card. Clubs have to do what they’re told, whether they like it or not. Added to that, two Premiership clubs have already had results awarded against them for breach of protocol.

The worst thing for me is that none of this surprises me in the slightest. This season, and regime in general has been a catastrophe with one embarrassing episode after another, week after week. I’ve suggested before that we’re often just sitting back waiting on the next humiliation, knowing it’s just around the corner.

Meanwhile, there are some unread posts on the Ex-Player thread, so I’m going to pop over there and see who’s been up to what.

There's a rather attractive road near me that's long, sweeping, largely empty of traffic, with a perfectly manicured median and few junctions - and it's a 30 mph limit. I'd love to tear down it at 55 on a Sunday afternoon but I know that if I did so I'd get a massive fine.

It's like that. A lot of these COVID rules are completely arbitrary. But they're also very well-signposted and if we choose to ignore them, we do so at our peril.

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, ayrstorm said:

I assume all those calling out these human beings for momentary lapse as they try to bring some cheer (be nice if they did on the park as well though) are all contacting the health secretary calling out the film of the first person to be vaccinated in UK outside a trial today? Hope not as the person who in the corridor exit grabbed the old women's hand and shook it was also a human being and a momentary lapse in the moment of cheer she was feeling part of.
If we were robots in our behaviours perhaps we would be as close to normal as the chinese claim to be - but we all want a degree of freedom and personal responsibility/choice which is also shown by so many arguing their area is the one that should be in lower tiers and it is always another area, another business, another environment.

Give me strength.

This is a football club with a history of embarrassing episodes that you could write a best seller about and this regime in particular is writing the best chapter in the book with their monumental fuck ups at pretty much every opportunity.

It isn’t a momentary lapse- this is 11 (eleven) breaches of protocol on the same weekend that the Clinical Director got torn into another club, and a matter of days after two further clubs had to concede three matches between them.

You know what, I’ll not be calling the Health Secretary about this video you refer to. Why not? Because I don’t care. I do, however care about my favourite football club, and if they’re being run as poorly as they appear to be now, I feel obliged to comment and criticise accordingly.

People have, and will continue to make mistakes right throughout this pandemic. Up until now, I actually thought Morton had done reasonably well, the odd blip notwithstanding. But they’ve blown that reasonably good record out the window over the weekend.

But spare us the birthday caird pish about only being human and the big bad fanbase being the problem for not being accepting of their minor (lol) indiscretions. They should know fine well their responsibilities by now, and if they carry on the way they did in the last few days, it won’t be the fans’ fault if we’re conceding a couple of 0-3s without kicking a ball over the festive period.

If you watch any games on TV that involve team photos before kick-off, they’re all (as far as I’ve seen) done with distancing in place. There’s no excuses for not doing so, if nothing else it sets an example to the wider community and reminds people of the necessity of such restrictions, no matter how much of a pain in the arse it might be.

AWMSC

9 hours ago, Toby said:

But spare us the birthday caird pish about only being human and the big bad fanbase being the problem for not being accepting of their minor (lol) indiscretions. They should know fine well their responsibilities by now, and if they carry on the way they did in the last few days, it won’t be the fans’ fault if we’re conceding a couple of 0-3s without kicking a ball over the festive period.

There's been an equal amount of birthday caird pish on both sides of this particular debate though. The idea that the greater Greenock public needs to be gormlessly hang on the example of Robbie Muirhead and the gang to abide by existing restrictions being at the top of that list.

The remainder of this farce of a Scottish football season is going to be crammed with wee grasses rummaging through social media accounts to try and get condemnation/sanctions from the authorities. It's utterly tragic stuff all round.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On the subject of covid breaches, there's a particular Morton player that's been posting on Instagram since March disregarding social distancing with him and his mates hanging off each other. It's not been so bad since the season started but as recently as today he's posting a video of him in his mate's house.

I'm not here as the covid polis but a bit of self-awareness as a professional footballer to at least not post these things on social media would be nice.

I doubt anyone at Morton has even spoken to the players about what is allowed. The rules are fairly simple - social distancing can be suspended while players are on the pitch. Not while on the bench or even while training generally. Anyone can make a mistake with a momentary lapse, and frankly the risk is probably worse when they are not at training but just down the supermarket. However taking part in videos and the like, they should be wearing masks and/or maintaining a 2m distance. Ignoring the rules completely is not a good look and won’t end well. Do any of them car share? Do they even know that is banned?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 12/8/2020 at 10:01 PM, Toby said:

The worst thing for me is that none of this surprises me in the slightest. This season, and regime in general has been a catastrophe with one embarrassing episode after another, week after week. I’ve suggested before that we’re often just sitting back waiting on the next humiliation, knowing it’s just around the corner.

Well that didn't take long.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Scott said:

All football below the Scottish Championship suspended for 3 weeks. Championship allowed to continue as long as weekly testing is done. That’s a heavy cost incoming for us id imagine? 

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/

The statement mentions the £30mil grant, I assume that will be the only money given to us to help. 

2 minutes ago, so72 said:

The statement mentions the £30mil grant, I assume that will be the only money given to us to help. 

So the grant that was given to help support clubs will now be used to pay for expensive testing.. I reckon they’ll have to null and void the football from League 1 and below. There’s no way they’ll let them play again in 3 weeks and anything longer than that will cause fixture chaos for the rest of the season. 

Edit to add - GIRUY Falkirk & Patrick. 

10 minutes ago, Scott said:

So the grant that was given to help support clubs will now be used to pay for expensive testing.. I reckon they’ll have to null and void the football from League 1 and below. There’s no way they’ll let them play again in 3 weeks and anything longer than that will cause fixture chaos for the rest of the season. 

Edit to add - GIRUY Falkirk & Patrick. 

As much as I would like to see Falkirk fucked over, there's no way they can null and void the season after what they did last year. However, Partick will be staying down regardless. 

How sad, never mind. No one cares about these stupid wee leagues, just cancel them now and start from scratch in August.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

21 minutes ago, so72 said:

As much as I would like to see Falkirk fucked over, there's no way they can null and void the season after what they did last year. However, Partick will be staying down regardless. 

The majority of the season had been played last year whereas now I don't think we're halfway through? Have the SFA said what the likely outcome would be if the season couldn't be completed? I think they were right with their decision last season however this time around there's plenty of game time left for things to change significantly. Get it null and voided and have those two stupid wee League 1 clubs suffer another year. 

45 minutes ago, so72 said:

They can and most likely will in the event of the situation not improving by the start of next month.

Clubs at this level have a decision to make on testing and if there is any camp in favour of putting the Championship on hold then  GMFC should join it. Wasting a large chunk of grant money on testing before a set of games played BCD is the height of folly given our recent financial scares. 

1 hour ago, so72 said:

They made a big deal of the '75% complete' factor last season. They certainly can't award titles based on what has already been played with so much still to go.

Correct decision to suspend the diddies. Would have been perfectly happy if the Championship also was suspended.

Celtic after their essential trip having to play tonight with 13 players isolating as well as Lennon (although that part probably helps them).

Archived