The Morton weekly podcast - Page 13 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Morton weekly podcast

74GMFC

goo

I’d recently fallen behind on religiously reading every single detail of the Falkirk Thread on Pie and Bovril and started to catch up last night when a couple of posts came to my attention about a podcast with John Hughes.

First of all about how the interviewer has is so far up the interviewees arse, and secondly, that he’s been banned from there for spamming so many threads.

However, the main thing that caught my attention was someone saying how he cringed listening to the start of said interview. It pains me to add a link and give him the audience figures, as it pained me to listen to it, but the first couple of minutes are absolute gold...

https://anchor.fm/footballCFB/episodes/CFB-with-John-Hughes-ee2426

Yogi- "Its good that you support your local team"  

That made me chuckle

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like some old jakey in a pub ranting at some wee guy who’s just never actually watched a game saying “aw aye, ah like aw the footballers, so I do” in an attempt to placate them.

Which, funnily enough, is almost exactly what it is.

I should’ve said, I was only really drawing attention to what was said in the first two minutes of the podcast. I’d heard enough and chucked it after that.

I should’ve said, I was only really drawing attention to what was said in the first two minutes of the podcast. I’d heard enough and chucked it after that.

Aye, me too. Wouldn’t have been inclined to listen to anything after that anyway, even if I didn’t know anything else about it.

AWMSC

Untitled.jpg 

Can someone explain why our official club videos have this image as their background? Is 'CFB' now sponsoring the club's YouTube output, or are we simply allowing himself to put himself front and centre again? 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Decent interview with Luca today, another player who was taken by surprise by the physical side of the scottish game but is enjoying his time.

Gave a shout to chris Buchanan aswell which i thought was pretty decent of him.

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Untitled.jpg

Can someone explain why our official club videos have this image as their background? Is 'CFB' now sponsoring the club's YouTube output, or are we simply allowing himself to put himself front and centre again? 

Presumably he's doing the editing and it's either happening by chance or hes doing it on purpose. Riddy

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Untitled.jpg

That just looks proper amateurish from the club. We’ve got a local Celtic fan and Kevin Keegan as the intro for our official content? I can’t really work that one out tbh.

That just looks proper amateurish from the club. We’ve got a local Celtic fan and Kevin Keegan as the intro for our official content? I can’t really work that one out tbh.

You won't find much disagreement here but it wouldn't be Morton if it was anything different. That young guy has somehow managed to hijack the club for his own ends, the very same club he was berating on here a couple of months back for not being supportive of whatever he was doing.

*insert signature here*

Surely someone should quality check the stuff we put out? A month or two ago, his face randomly appeared in another interview, absolute tinpot which is a shame as the actual interview content is the best it's ever been.

The club is on autopilot. Same as it ever was. I don't blame the guy, I blame the club for outsourcing this vital piece of club strategy and then ignoring it.

It's worse than autopilot, it's active neglect. Look at what other clubs have been doing during the lockdown on social media - Hearts, Raith, Falkirk and a few other clubs have launched next season's home kit through their social media feeds. Hibs and Partick (IIRC) have been rerunning old matches and asking supporters to pay for tickets for these matches. Stenhousemuir have used their social media to promote and advertise all the excellent voluntary work their Community branch have been doing. Even the likes of Berwick Rangers have been promoting their (excellent) sponsorship and social media packages. They offer sponsorship of their YouTube output for £500 a season, which makes you wonder how much a club of our size could make from a similar enterprise. 

What have we done in this period to generate income during this period? MacKinnon came on board and was given a simple mantra - breaking even. We should be attempting to maximise revenue, and more importantly cash flow, during this period. Our failure to do so is completely unacceptable. 

Our social media presence and output has regressed, potentially fucking over a club employee along the way. What have we gained from the new arrangement? I've yet to see a tangible benefit for the club. It's been a mixture of incompetence, poor decision making and neglect from the people tasked with ensuring the club survive the pandemic. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

What have we done in this period to generate income during this period? MacKinnon came on board and was given a simple mantra - breaking even. We should be attempting to maximise revenue, and more importantly cash flow, during this period. Our failure to do so is completely unacceptable. 

Yeah, the silence from the club is getting worrying. No one's expecting them to share details of their budget in public, but there's no indication of anything being done to generate income just now.

We've now got confirmation that furlough will start being rolled back from August, with employers being required to make NI & pension contributions again then start picking up 10% of wages in September. We don't know yet when our season will start or when we'll have fans at games, but we know we have players under contract and there's inevitably going to be a period where we have to pick up their wages without gate receipts even while furloughed, and there'll also be a point where they're being taken off furlough for pre-season training and need to be paid in full.

We could also be at a huge disadvantage if the clubs who have been generating revenue have built up the funds to make signings as soon as they know when their season's starting, whereas we might be leaving the likes of Cadden hanging not knowing if we can afford to renew his contract or not.

We really need some indication of what's going on. You'd assume the board are meeting regularly to discuss their contingency plans for various different levels of revenue based on when fans are at games. With that in mind I respect the club maybe don't want to say anything about season tickets until they know how many games we'll get on them, but they're at the point now where they need to be telling us how they plan to generate revenue.

When's the new kit being launched? Are we releasing players when contracts expire in less than two weeks? Are we planning to build a squad entirely from the £25K raised by MCT during the lockdown? Has the club actually made contingency plans or are they just plodding on without adjusting budgets and hoping for the best, failing to appreciate the severity of this situation? An update would be nice.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yeah, the silence from the club is getting worrying. No one's expecting them to share details of their budget in public, but there's no indication of anything being done to generate income just now.

We've now got confirmation that furlough will start being rolled back from August, with employers being required to make NI & pension contributions again then start picking up 10% of wages in September. We don't know yet when our season will start or when we'll have fans at games, but we know we have players under contract and there's inevitably going to be a period where we have to pick up their wages without gate receipts even while furloughed, and there'll also be a point where they're being taken off furlough for pre-season training and need to be paid in full.

We could also be at a huge disadvantage if the clubs who have been generating revenue have built up the funds to make signings as soon as they know when their season's starting, whereas we might be leaving the likes of Cadden hanging not knowing if we can afford to renew his contract or not.

We really need some indication of what's going on. You'd assume the board are meeting regularly to discuss their contingency plans for various different levels of revenue based on when fans are at games. With that in mind I respect the club maybe don't want to say anything about season tickets until they know how many games we'll get on them, but they're at the point now where they need to be telling us how they plan to generate revenue.

When's the new kit being launched? Are we releasing players when contracts expire in less than two weeks? Are we planning to build a squad entirely from the £25K raised by MCT during the lockdown? Has the club actually made contingency plans or are they just plodding on without adjusting budgets and hoping for the best, failing to appreciate the severity of this situation? An update would be nice.

I emailed mackinnon yesterday to ask if there would be a streaming option if games come back behind closed doors and he got back to me within half an hour which is unheard of in my time supporting Morton.

He replied with the following:

" We have been working behind the scenes on developing a new website and streaming service for live games and exclusive content.

We are ready to go with these new platforms as soon as the season start is confirmed.

We believe that the Championship may start, subject to Government and medical advice, 6 weeks after the Premiership, possibly October.

We will incorporate a streaming package for season ticket holders and subscribers.

It is also anticipated that a % of capacity will be allowed in a couple if months after start.

We will update the fans once we get confirmation of start. "

Maybe this information should have been communicated to all fans earlier, but with the season over I can imagine they want to wait until the details for the new season are announced before detailing their plans for it.

Rather than the club being secretive and closed off to fans as they have been in previous regimes, I'll stick up for Mackinnon this time as not for the first time he's shown himself to be transparent and willing to engage with fans.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I emailed mackinnon yesterday to ask if there would be a streaming option if games come back behind closed doors and he got back to me within half an hour which is unheard of in my time supporting Morton.

He replied with the following:

" We have been working behind the scenes on developing a new website and streaming service for live games and exclusive content.

We are ready to go with these new platforms as soon as the season start is confirmed.

We believe that the Championship may start, subject to Government and medical advice, 6 weeks after the Premiership, possibly October.

We will incorporate a streaming package for season ticket holders and subscribers.

It is also anticipated that a % of capacity will be allowed in a couple if months after start.

We will update the fans once we get confirmation of start. "

Maybe this information should have been communicated to all fans earlier, but with the season over I can imagine they want to wait until the details for the new season are announced before detailing their plans for it.

Rather than the club being secretive and closed off to fans as they have been in previous regimes, I'll stick up for Mackinnon this time as not for the first time he's shown himself to be transparent and willing to engage with fans.

All that’s well and good, and certainly in my experiences of meeting him I’d agree, he’s open and willing to discuss his plans.

But none of this is communicated until you go asking yourself for the information. If he’s working on projects such as this (and they sound encouraging) why isn’t he shouting from the rooftops about it and letting us know this before we start asking questions? If it’s at an early stage and might not come off he’s as well not telling you until he’s more confident that it will, but if he’s at the stage that he can tell fans that ask, the information should be out in the public domain already.

There’s a big difference between being secretive and just not mentioning things that could show the club in a positive light.

All that’s well and good, and certainly in my experiences of meeting him I’d agree, he’s open and willing to discuss his plans.

But none of this is communicated until you go asking yourself for the information. If he’s working on projects such as this (and they sound encouraging) why isn’t he shouting from the rooftops about it and letting us know this before we start asking questions? If it’s at an early stage and might not come off he’s as well not telling you until he’s more confident that it will, but if he’s at the stage that he can tell fans that ask, the information should be out in the public domain already.

There’s a big difference between being secretive and just not mentioning things that could show the club in a positive light.

I'm not saying I disagree completely with what you're saying, but given the choice between the club doing nothing during this time off or the club making what seems to be promising developments to deal with the return of football which havent been communicated to fans as early as we would hope, then I can live with the latter.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived