Our football club, the great burden - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Our football club, the great burden

TheGoon

Unfortunately this is bang on the money.

About 4/5 years ago I was in Cleats with a group that included Crawford's son, who I had never met before and haven't again since. Perfectly nice guy btw. One of the group was from overseas and the conversation eventually went onto football and this person was told about how Morton was owned by the Rae's. This lad said to Crawfords son "wow that must be cool?!" to which the reply was a roll of the eyes and something along the lines of "Aye, you'd think so wouldn't you?"

From that point I knew as soon as Dougie was no longer running GC (or worse no longer with us), the Raes would be out of Morton tlike a shot!

Well I wish they would hurry up and sell it.

I see Salkeld is in the Telegraph today towing the party line talking about we have to survive and then see where it takes us. Well mate naw I want to hear we are aiming for the playoffs if people are paying for season tickets or 20 quid they don't want to be hearing that drivel attitude.

It must be hoped by all Morton fans that the strategy is fully implemented by the end of this season and that Hoppy successfully keeps us in the Championship.

That's not actually a credible target for this once-proud football club amid a sea of dross and the sooner that assorted club flunkeys ditch that line, the better. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Unfortunately this is bang on the money.

About 4/5 years ago I was in Cleats with a group that included Crawford's son, who I had never met before and haven't again since.  Perfectly nice guy btw.  One of the group was from overseas and the conversation eventually went onto football and this person was told about how Morton was owned by the Rae's.  This lad said to Crawfords son "wow that must be cool?!" to which the reply was a roll of the eyes and something along the lines of "Aye, you'd think so wouldn't you?"

From that point I knew as soon as Dougie was no longer running GC (or worse no longer with us), the Raes would be out of Morton tlike a shot!

And to be clear, he has every right to feel that way. If you don't feel a particular love for Morton, and/or aren't bothered about football in general, and come from a business background, it will look and feel like a millstone. My contention isn't that they're particularly evil for feeling this way and acting accordingly; rather it's that in doing so, they have completely surrendered any right to goodwill from the broader Morton support, and instead should be regarded as something approaching absentee landlords. All this "och, they saved the club" and "their heart is in the right place" stuff is now completely moribund. And that goes doubly when they start saying that Morton put GC's staff under threat.

EOho8Pw.png

And to be clear, he has every right to feel that way. If you don't feel a particular love for Morton, and/or aren't bothered about football in general, and come from a business background, it will look and feel like a millstone. My contention isn't that they're particularly evil for feeling this way and acting accordingly; rather it's that in doing so, they have completely surrendered any right to goodwill from the broader Morton support, and instead should be regarded as something approaching absentee landlords. All this "och, they saved the club" and "their heart is in the right place" stuff is now completely moribund. And that goes doubly when they start saying that Morton put GC's staff under threat.

Do you think Crawford would downsize from his Aston Martin to a Mini Metro if it meant he could keep Golden Casket operating with a skeleton staff of two?

Mind when all the fluffers for Golden Casket insisted on here that the parade of £300k annual losses at the club were really just a wheeze to save the parent company a shed load of tax? So what has changed in the last 18 months to turn this 'really useful scheme, no need for concern here' into 'disastrous loss threatening the livelihoods of the poor wee employees*' at the sweetie company? Answers on the back of a postcard please to the current financial director, who if I'm not mistaken was front and centre of that bullshitting campaign. 

* chinless wonder family shareholders

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Crawford is a great salesman. They'll be queuing up to buy the club based on that interview. Not once did he hold his hands up to any failings of his own despite riding shotgun with Dougie for years. We are where we are because of gross incompetence/neglect at boardroom level for 20 years and for no other reason. Get out our club.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Crawford is a great salesman. They'll be queuing up to buy the club based on that interview. Not once did he hold his hands up to any failings of his own despite riding shotgun with Dougie for years. We are where we are because of gross incompetence/neglect at boardroom level for 20 years and for no other reason. Get out our club.

Couldn’t have put it any better.

Putting aside the bigger point about how the club has been run in the long term, this wasn’t an interview with the Tele - it was a passage from the Golden Casket accounts which the Telegraph has published because it related to Morton. So you wouldn’t expect a reflection on how the club has been run for 20 years and who has been responsible for what over that period - it’s just a statement mainly for the benefit of GC shareholders about why the GC profits in one particular year were X instead of Y.

Archived