Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates


Admin
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Mortonbug said:

This is really great news! Actually found out with STV News on in the background earlier and the club badge came up on screen, wasn't expecting this so soon after the last update! I think this could genuinely be the best news many Morton fans have had in a long time. 

We've witnessed quite a few false dawns as a support over the last 20 years since Douglas Rae stepped in to save the Club; with some fleeting moments of joy along the way of course. More than a few charlatans coming in and offering their expertise for hire but ultimately being chancers only interested in their own advancement. Hopefully no more.

It has felt like hundreds, if not thousands, of floating fans had gone for good. After being let down time and time again. I really hope that, despite the very uneven performances lately that things can improve and that, whatever the weather, we can get in a good crowd for Arbroath on Saturday. 

Like a fair few other folk, I had been very reluctant up until now to join, but I have happily signed up for MCT tonight. I don't think anybody is expecting miracles overnight, but with good people using their skills, for the most part voluntarily and with just a sincere interest in doing right by Morton as their motivation, surely we can have real cause for optimism. Hopefully the start of something special.

Well done to everybody who has worked so hard to inch this closer and closer to fruition.

C'mon the Ton!

This is brilliant to hear @Mortonbug, great to have you on board!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's been a struggle to reach this point but I'm grateful and glad that we can now take responsibility for the future of Morton. Thrilled this has been achieved while I'm still breathing.

Well done to all involved.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Congratulations to all involved, but having witnessed so many false dawns over the years my optimism is firmly in the 'cautious' category. While I'm glad it's finally done and dusted, I still have my concerns about the long term viability of fan ownership, especially as many of those heavily involved are doing it only on a free-time basis, and with a part-time general manager. It goes without saying that I hope these concerns prove to be unfounded and we go from strength-to-strength, but at this minute I'm far from 100% convinced. More than happy to give the guys the benefit of the doubt for the meantime though, and of course I wish them all the best. 

I don't really have any issues with the MCT people being volunteers but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had more paid staff running the club business. If we hire wisely then they'd pay for themselves. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Congratulations to all involved, but having witnessed so many false dawns over the years my optimism is firmly in the 'cautious' category. While I'm glad it's finally done and dusted, I still have my concerns about the long term viability of fan ownership, especially as many of those heavily involved are doing it only on a free-time basis, and with a part-time general manager. It goes without saying that I hope these concerns prove to be unfounded and we go from strength-to-strength, but at this minute I'm far from 100% convinced. More than happy to give the guys the benefit of the doubt for the meantime though, and of course I wish them all the best. 

^^^ what he said.  This basically sums up how I feel about it all.  I have no doubt that fan ownership could be viable and even successful, my concerns are whether or not we have the correct bunch of people in place to pull it off successfully.  I genuinely hope that we have, however from what I've heard the actions of Gordon Ritchie are a concern to say the least.

SACK THE BOARD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TRVMP said:

The volunteer thing isn't a big deal. Director of a Championship club isn't a full-time gig, nor even a paid one. It's par for the course.

 

Ha

The bit in bold, are you still laughing at Exeter's ticket booth guy expecting to be shoehorned into a plum role somewhere?

  • Upvote 1

SACK THE BOARD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, irnbru said:

I don't really have any issues with the MCT people being volunteers but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if we had more paid staff running the club business. If we hire wisely then they'd pay for themselves. 

Well the club's General Manager, Chris Ross, the club secretary, Brendan McEleny, the Commercial Manager, Lesley Anne Webb are all salaried employees of the club responsible for running the club business, i'd imagine there are others there too.  They seem like competent folk, I dont see there being a problem with some volunteers assisting about the place like there has been for years.

  • Upvote 1

SACK THE BOARD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I was going to type something like "Having a professional staff, on the other hand, is important..." but a cat jumped on me so I got distracted.

Cat my arse.  :lol:

Why not just admit that you find Exeter City's chief of ticketing operations pretty amusing.  I know that I do.

 

  • Upvote 1

SACK THE BOARD!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

Cat my arse.  :lol:

Why not just admit that you find Exeter City's chief of ticketing operations pretty amusing.  I know that I do.

 

It was chief of ticketing and retail operations thank you. Don't forget all those programmes I sold.

 

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, capitanus said:

Well the club's General Manager, Chris Ross, the club secretary, Brendan McEleny, the Commercial Manager, Lesley Anne Webb are all salaried employees of the club responsible for running the club business, i'd imagine there are others there too.  They seem like competent folk, I dont see there being a problem with some volunteers assisting about the place like there has been for years.

The GM is on a diddy-level contract that doesn't fully cover the responsibilities of the job though, not least given the shitshow that he is taking on at multiple levels (for example, dealing with Interstadia's continued, gubbins presence). I don't want to see an MCT director 'helping out'/sticking their oar in whenever the GM isn't around or is too busy to make a decision, unless it has already been agreed what that decision should be.

The club and MCT should produce some sort of organisation chart to explain how the two distinct bodies will now cooperate in practice. This will hopefully clear up legitimate concerns that many fans and members have about having a professional management and oversight of club affairs - there is a valid place in that structure for volunteers as well. They will have to stick to those defined roles and relationships though which is the most difficult task. 

  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

 

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The GM is on a diddy-level contract that doesn't fully cover the responsibilities of the job though, not least given the shitshow that he is taking on at multiple levels (for example, dealing with Interstadia's continued, gubbins presence). I don't want to see an MCT director 'helping out'/sticking their oar in whenever the GM isn't around or is too busy to make a decision, unless it has already been agreed what that decision should be.

The club and MCT should produce some sort of organisation chart to explain how the two distinct bodies will now cooperate in practice. This will hopefully clear up legitimate concerns that many fans and members have about having a professional management and oversight of club affairs - there is a valid place in that structure for volunteers as well. They will have to stick to those defined roles and relationships though which is the most difficult task. 

Aye, there's this and the others mentioned aren't really responsible for leading anything or developing us as a football club it business. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Congratulations to all involved, but having witnessed so many false dawns over the years my optimism is firmly in the 'cautious' category. While I'm glad it's finally done and dusted, I still have my concerns about the long term viability of fan ownership, especially as many of those heavily involved are doing it only on a free-time basis, and with a part-time general manager. It goes without saying that I hope these concerns prove to be unfounded and we go from strength-to-strength, but at this minute I'm far from 100% convinced. More than happy to give the guys the benefit of the doubt for the meantime though, and of course I wish them all the best. 

Ill be honest.  The only way I fear MCT will take us is on a continual downward spiral.  I've zero faith in the fan ownership model at this level therefore I'm completely underwhelmed.  I'll happily invest if I start seeing signs of progress but I won't hold my breath based on early evidence.

  • Upvote 1

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...