Morton Club Together Updates - Page 86 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

I think it's also suggesting we may not see new signings before the window closes. I know this has always been the norm but it's pretty irritating given the current state of the team.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised that the answer to this would be to save as much money as possible. If we sign these remaining players in June we are owing say 3/4 players an extra two months wages. Let's just say that's £16k over those two months. The club may feel that this is a good area to save money.

11 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I think it's also suggesting we may not see new signings before the window closes. I know this has always been the norm but it's pretty irritating given the current state of the team.

Aye, Morton fans seeing an update referencing transfers and expecting to read 'we hope to get a few deals over the line before the window closes'. Instead we get 'don't forget, the bins are still accessible even with the window closed'.

3 hours ago, port-ton said:

Appreciate the update from them but I'm more concerned why Dean decided to leave the leadership team over concerns about the direction MCT is going in. 

Guy travels home and away, runs the forum and hosts a Morton podcast so if he's unhappy with things he's seeing behind the scenes then that's a real red flag for me. 

Intregue got the better of me today and I decided to have a snoop about at Dean McKinnon's experience and background today. He's been working in football for a decade as well as running the messageboard. I can't see anyone else the MCT Leadership Team with working football knowledge apart from a couple of players from yesteryear. Even if Dean had stayed on board that is an obvious weakness of MCT. Having accountants and lawyers making football decisions is the beginning of the death kneel for the club.

If a guy who works in the industry and spends his spare time running the club messageboard is concerned about the direction of MCT then I think it's time we all started asking some serious questions about the people running our club.

Edited by champagnebrianmac
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, champagnebrianmac said:

Intregue got the better of me today and I decided to have a snoop about at Dean McKinnon's experience and background today. He's been working in football for a decade as well as running the messageboard. I can't see anyone else the MCT Leadership Team with working football knowledge apart from a couple of players from yesteryear. Even if Dean had stayed on board that is an obvious weakness of MCT. Having accountants and lawyers making football decisions is the beginning of the death kneel for the club.

If a guy who works in the industry and spends his spare time running the club messageboard is concerned about the direction of MCT then I think it's time we all started asking some serious questions about the people running our club.

I don't think that's a huge problem in itself as long as you hire the right staff with the right skill set to run the club.

My worry though is that the general manager role seems to be to carry out what the board ask. With the set up we have now, getting an experienced CEO in would probably pay for itself within the season. 

Wonder if MCT regret the decision to buy the club? Directors stepping down, leadership team members moving on, many members pissed off, uncertainty and lengthy delays around the takeover, inexperienced candidates to replace outgoing board members, a general manager who has never worked anywhere near this level before, a good few board/leadership members with marketing experience yet our communications in the main has been feckin awful, too skint to have even a 16 man first team squad by the end of August.

It's been some start lads.

MCT are out of their depth. I hope to feck they can turn it around but I fear the worst.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Madton said:

Wonder if MCT regret the decision to buy the club? Directors stepping down, leadership team members moving on, many members pissed off, uncertainty and lengthy delays around the takeover, inexperienced candidates to replace outgoing board members, a general manager who has never worked anywhere near this level before, a good few board/leadership members with marketing experience yet our communications in the main has been feckin awful, too skint to have even a 16 man first team squad by the end of August.

It's been some start lads.

MCT are out of their depth. I hope to feck they can turn it around but I fear the worst.

I think Gordon Ritchie in particular, who is the main organ grinder, is too arrogant to regret or even open his eyes to any of his/their failings. Knowing Dean, and knowing how he would go out his way to ask difficult questions, which needed asked, I’d imagine this development is seen by Ritchie as a positive step, as it’ll give them a bit of peace and quiet for a while.

I’m sure most of us know Dean’s not the first to chuck it- Gerry McGeehan was another sad loss, but I don’t suspect he’ll be the last.

You reap what you sow, and Ritchie’s in the process of doing just that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, irnbru said:

I don't think that's a huge problem in itself as long as you hire the right staff with the right skill set to run the club.

My worry though is that the general manager role seems to be to carry out what the board ask. With the set up we have now, getting an experienced CEO in would probably pay for itself within the season. 

We had an 'experienced' CEO until recently, remind us how that worked out?

*insert signature here*

11 hours ago, Toby said:

I think Gordon Ritchie in particular, who is the main organ grinder, is too arrogant to regret or even open his eyes to any of his/their failings. Knowing Dean, and knowing how he would go out his way to ask difficult questions, which needed asked, I’d imagine this development is seen by Ritchie as a positive step, as it’ll give them a bit of peace and quiet for a while.

I’m sure most of us know Dean’s not the first to chuck it- Gerry McGeehan was another sad loss, but I don’t suspect he’ll be the last.

I said it before but I think one of the biggest failings is that they haven't actually structured it to be fan run and it's a bit of a closed shop. Since the start the message could have been closer to "its our club" or something and a real push on the message of how to be actively involved or change things if you didn't like it rather than simply being a member.

It would have helped the organisation too and taken some heat off but, without really knowing the individuals, arrogance was a word I used on a group chat the other day too. 

9 hours ago, capitanus said:

We had an 'experienced' CEO until recently, remind us how that worked out?

Suppose the caveat there should be a good one! My worry is that it's really the blind leading the blind and no one at the club has any idea of how to run a football club. 

Maybe even a consultant would help but their football advisors listed haven't been involved in the game for years or the running of clubs and seem to be figureheads more than anything. 

Edited by irnbru

"A budget was produced and a squad structure was agreed upon with the management team. Members of the incoming club board and the management team are in regular communication, processes that weren’t previously there at the club are now in place and discussions are constantly happening to add to the squad."

What does that second rambling sentence even mean? That no one has been available to sign off on transfers? That the budget has been overspent in the past? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

I said it before but I think one of the biggest failings is that they haven't actually structured it to be fan run and it's a bit of a closed shop. Since the start the message could have been closer to "its our club" or something and a real push on the message of how to be actively involved or change things if you didn't like it rather than simply being a member.

It would have helped the organisation too and taken some heat off but, without really knowing the individuals, arrogance was a word I used on a group chat the other day too. 

Suppose the caveat there should be a good one! My worry is that it's really the blind leading the blind and no one at the club has any idea of how to run a football club. 

Maybe even a consultant would help but their football advisors listed haven't been involved in the game for years or the running of clubs and seem to be figureheads more than anything. 

You don't need experience at doing something in order to become successful at doing something. 

Dare I say it, you could probably get a gig somewhere as a 'consultant' to a fledgling supporters trust just on the basis you were once the GMST chairman, especially if that same fledgling trust have a similar mindset to your own.

*insert signature here*

14 hours ago, Toby said:

Far to many chiefs and not enough indians. The leadership team is full of people who are qualified in one aspect of business or another. But nowhere does it say what they are responsible for at Cappielow if anything. There are far to many points raised that are not being addressed which says to me that nobody is willing to take responsibility for getting them fixed. Even the small things don't get addressed, there is no attention to detail. Like I would never have known that Gerry McGeehan had stepped down if it hadn't been mentioned here. Surely somebody is responsible for keeping the both MCT and GMFC websites current. All this does is gives the impression that MCT/GMFC are not on top of things. I would have got my arse kicked in my previous employment if I wasn't keeping information current and not being on top of what was going on.

What's happened to our SLO has he been muzzled as I can't remember the last time we heard from him.

This is all very disconcerting as it just gives the impression that nothing has changed since MCT moved in which is not what we were all hoping.      

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

I think that a lot has happened in a fairly short space of time, in terms of MCT becoming established, getting involved in a takeover, negotiating and re-negotiating that - then taking the reigns a few months ago. 

The reality is, these people are volunteers with day jobs. I think people are being overly critical of what has happened and the squad we have assembled. Probably more critical and / or more vocal than we would have been if GC had still been there. 

I obviously don't know the reasons why Dean McKinnon resigned and he has been fairly vague on this. 

MCT seem to have a team sizeable in numbers, but probably too big to make effective decisions. I would hope that is naturally whittled down to someone in charge of finances, someone on communications, someone on staffing / recruitment and one or two others to help out and be a sounding board. Ideally in time, more and more decisions will be made by hired professionals - but it takes time and money for these relationships to be established.  

Ultimately we don't have the Golden Casket overdraft facility that kept Morton operating on a larger budget than we could account for previously. That means players who sign, we have to reasonably expect that the revenue for that contract can be accounted for over the next 12 or 24 months.

Of course you could be aggressive or conservative with that budget, and hope that better players brings more revenue. I reckon / hope that we have been on the conservative side of that at this point. 

I'm also realistic that as a team who finished a fairly poor 9th last season and have gone through major upheaval off the park, we are unlikely to be in a position to go pushing up the league this season.  But I hope with MCT established and hopefully revenue streams maximised far more effectively, we will see improvements on the park within a season or two. 

My feeling is we have a better 1st team than last season, but are light on numbers and the youngsters will have a part to play during the season as injuries or suspensions bite.

I'd say, lets support MCT and give them time to make a difference. Because these guys want Morrton to do well and the alternative to MCT is probably not very palatable to any of us. 

Edited by piehutt
  • Downvote 4

9 minutes ago, piehutt said:

I think that a lot has happened in a fairly short space of time, in terms of MCT becoming established, getting involved in a takeover, negotiating and re-negotiating that - then taking the reigns a few months ago. 

The reality is, these people are volunteers with day jobs. I think people are being overly critical of what has happened and the squad we have assembled. Probably more critical and / or more vocal than we would have been if GC had still been there. 

I obviously don't know the reasons why Dean McKinnon resigned and he has been fairly vague on this. 

MCT seem to have a team sizeable in numbers, but probably too big to make effective decisions. I would hope that is naturally whittled down to someone in charge of finances, someone on communications, someone on staffing / recruitment and one or two others to help out and be a sounding board. Ideally in time, more and more decisions will be made by hired professionals - but it takes time and money for these relationships to be established.  

Ultimately we don't have the Golden Casket overdraft facility that kept Morton operating on a larger budget than we could account for previously. That means players who sign, we have to reasonably expect that the revenue for that contract can be accounted for over the next 12 or 24 months.

Of course you could be aggressive or conservative with that budget, and hope that better players brings more revenue. I reckon / hope that we have been on the conservative side of that at this point. 

I'm also realistic that as a team who finished a fairly poor 9th last season and have gone through major upheaval off the park, we are unlikely to be in a position to go pushing up the league this season.  But I hope with MCT established and hopefully revenue streams maximised far more effectively, we will see improvements on the park within a season or two. 

My feeling is we have a better 1st team than last season, but are light on numbers and the youngsters will have a part to play during the season as injuries or suspensions bite.

I'd say, lets support MCT and give them time to make a difference. Because these guys want Morrton to do well and the alternative to MCT is probably not very palatable to any of us. 

But it's not a short space of time. They have known this has been coming for months and looked to be ill prepared for the changeover.

I get that people have day jobs but if you can't commit the time you shouldn't get involved. There must be a few retired Morton fans that can at least keep a website up to date in their spare time.

As for whittling down the numbers, what's keeping them?

I'm also realistic to understand that money is the driving force behind any succesful enterprise but if MCT keep pissing fans off then that money will dry up and we are well and truly fkd if that happens. Time somebody at MCT got their finger out and got this organised so that we at least act like a professional organisation rather than one looks good on paper.

• Upvote 2
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

17 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

But it's not a short space of time. They have known this has been coming for months and looked to be ill prepared for the changeover.

I get that people have day jobs but if you can't commit the time you shouldn't get involved. There must be a few retired Morton fans that can at least keep a website up to date in their spare time.

As for whittling down the numbers, what's keeping them?

I'm also realistic to understand that money is the driving force behind any succesful enterprise but if MCT keep pissing fans off then that money will dry up and we are well and truly fkd if that happens. Time somebody at MCT got their finger out and got this organised so that we at least act like a professional organisation rather than one looks good on paper.

No doubt mistakes have been made and things have probably been harder than they have foreseen. I'm sure a combination of inexperience and the way the club had been run previously have made things tough. 

But I still think people are very quick to criticise and we have had this gradual good feeling slipping away as people want things done now, want the takeover complete, want new players, want the kit released, update on absolutely everything all of the time etc. It's a lot of things to happen and we've just about gotten there, even if it wasn't all as quick as would be optimal. 

In terms of whittling down the numbers - I don't know if that's something they are planning (I hope it is) or if it will take time for this to happen naturally as they realise 15 or 20 people is unnecessary as things move away from takeover and change, to hopefully the day to day running of the club. 

I hesitate to be too critical as I have not put my own hand up to help out, other than being a member. 

And I would plead with the people who are criticising to be constructive at the very least. 

We all want the same thing, which is Morton to be successful on the park and secure off it. There seems to be a lot of gripes about personalities thus far with ultimately fairly minor practical criticism. I'm sure the main known unknown regarding the takeover being complete would be complete by now if it was possible for MCT to action this themselves, but of course there are multiple parties involved .

Edited by piehutt
change colour of text
  • Downvote 1

Two elongated posts from Piehutt about how we should give them the benefit of the doubt without any mention whatsoever of their arrogant refusal to address the concerns of the people who put them in office over the signing of a convicted sex offender, and their subsequent refusal to address the matter of fans lording this.

Well, colour me shocked.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Toby said:

Two elongated posts from Piehutt about how we should give them the benefit of the doubt without any mention whatsoever of their arrogant refusal to address the concerns of the people who put them in office over the signing of a convicted sex offender, and their subsequent refusal to address the matter of fans lording this.

Well, colour me shocked.

it's a democracy. Vote in new directors, stand up to do the job yourself if you feel so strongly about the direction. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, piehutt said:

The reality is, these people are volunteers with day jobs.

As opposed to the directors of the other Championship clubs, who are on 40-hour weekly contracts with lavish salaries and a company car?

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, piehutt said:

it's a democracy. Vote in new directors, stand up to do the job yourself if you feel so strongly about the direction. 

That doesn’t mean that whilst in office they’ve got a free pass to do whatever they like without being called out on their failings.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Toby said:

That doesn’t mean that whilst in office they’ve got a free pass to do whatever they like without being called out on their failings.

No, but people could at least be constructive and worry about the big stuff and let some of the trivia go - eg spelling mistakes. 

Your most recent criticism, as an example, about Gordon Ritchie being arrogant is vague. It's also disrespectful in the way you've said it, which I'm sure was intended. 

What is the point? 

If you are going to comment, provide detail and context rather than just a blank statement that could be anything from a serious failing, to poor communication to a personality clash. 

MCT are there and this is the way we are going to be run going forward. Obviously the faces will change and evolve. So lets try and improve it and make the most of the groundwork that's been done and ensure fan ownership is successful. 

Edited by piehutt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1