Morton Club Together Updates - Page 74 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Finally got an email from MCT advising who was on the board etc. Better late than never and hopefully a lesson for them that transparency is so important. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

46 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Legal things take time. It's not uncommon for this sort of thing to take longer than expected to be honest. 

Heard the lawyers are working pro-bono as well which could explain 

Nobody forced MCT to set a June 1st date for the takeover to be completed by though. If 'legal things' to take time, then who exactly was advising them that this date was realistic and how does this breed confidence in their ability to manage projects in the future?

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

17 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Things happen. Its not as straightforward as is being made out by some. Business deals get delayed day in day out.

Who has made it out to be a straightforward process? The only person or group I can think of who are culpable of that are, erm, MCT, by slapping a June 1st date on the conclusion of the takeover process in the first place, based (or not) on all the advice of all their great legal experts. 

They have to own the fact that they have overpromised and underdelivered, on a task that was always going to be complex to do. 

"They've already said its not delayed due to any show stoppers. Benefit of the doubt etc for something of this magnitude."

1) "They've already said" glossed over the five or so weeks of radio silence that occurred in the meantime, in which responsibility was fobbed off on HMRC and nothing else was said about the takeover's progress. The communication on this has not been forthright at all.

2) The future custodians of the club do not deserve 'benefit of the doubt' for a task of this magnitude because they will be expected to complete other tasks of similar magnitude at GMFC. We need to build a club that earns money from a broader set of sources than matchdays alone. That requires building infrastructure and investment, which means that projects have to be successfully managed within realistic timeframes and budgets. Setting a daft, self-limiting timeframe on a task based on the assumption that nothing can go wrong is the opposite of that.

This is should be treated as a learning opportunity for MCT to get real about what is required when it comes to managing projects and communicating progress to the de facto owners of the club - the fanbase. Treating it as a free hit just leads us back down the road of buying stands and letting them rust away under covers, as our most recently discredited regime ended up doing. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

10 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Who has made it out to be a straightforward process? The only person or group I can think of who are culpable of that are, erm, MCT, by slapping a June 1st date on the conclusion of the takeover process in the first place, based (or not) on all the advice of all their great legal experts. 

They have to own the fact that they have overpromised and underdelivered, on a task that was always going to be complex to do. 

"They've already said its not delayed due to any show stoppers. Benefit of the doubt etc for something of this magnitude."

1) "They've already said" glossed over the five or so weeks of radio silence that occurred in the meantime, in which responsibility was fobbed off on HMRC and nothing else was said about the takeover's progress. The communication on this has not been forthright at all.

2) The future custodians of the club do not deserve 'benefit of the doubt' for a task of this magnitude because they will be expected to complete other tasks of similar magnitude at GMFC. We need to build a club that earns money from a broader set of sources than matchdays alone. That requires building infrastructure and investment, which means that projects have to be successfully managed within realistic timeframes and budgets. Setting a daft, self-limiting timeframe on a task based on the assumption that nothing can go wrong is the opposite of that.

This is should be treated as a learning opportunity for MCT to get real about what is required when it comes to managing projects and communicating progress to the de facto owners of the club - the fanbase. Treating it as a free hit just leads us back down the road of buying stands and letting them rust away under covers, as our most recently discredited regime ended up doing. 

Tl;dr.

Timeframes of this nature slip right often. Unforseen circumstances occur. Suck it up, accept you dont have a clue about a process like this, and deal with it. It'll be done when everything is squared away. 

Edited by TONofmemories

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Of course MCT set an ambitious takeover date which they were going to be hung by later, and if they’d set a more realistic date they’d have been hung at the time. It’s what happens with takeovers, mergers or even new projects, of which I’ve been involved in many. That’s where all the mistakes and unmet deadlines happen, when you’re learning to crawl before you can walk then eventually run. 

All bar none of the new ventures I’ve been involved in have started this way or usually worse, and every one of them bar none has turned out to be a success. The reason being that you have to go through a learning curve together and learn from you’re mistakes before you can be successful.

The main difference here (where I have sympathy) is that the learning curve is happening in the full glare of the social media platform that is this forum, with a good number of sharp business brains analysing MCT’s every move. Add to this the fact they were taking over a sinking ship, during a financially crippling pandemic, and I don’t envy them one bit. 

in fact I quite admire their courage in taking on this monumental project and putting their reputations on the line. They also appear to be doing their best to make things happen during the learning curve.

This post is not based on “happy clapping” or naivety, it’s simply meant to put some balance and perspective into the situation.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the point is mct should never have announced a takeover date when it wasn't set in stone. As you've said things can drag off course pretty quickly in deals so it's was stupid to say it's done by this date or that which now leaves fans asking questions as to there competence in getting other things done. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

I think the point is mct should never have announced a takeover date when it wasn't set in stone. As you've said things can drag off course pretty quickly in deals so it's was stupid to say it's done by this date or that which now leaves fans asking questions as to there competence in getting other things done. 

It’s less to do with competence than how well they’ll learn from their initial mistakes.

28 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Of course MCT set an ambitious takeover date which they were going to be hung by later, and if they’d set a more realistic date they’d have been hung at the time.

Based on what?

EOho8Pw.png

23 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

It’s less to do with competence than how well they’ll learn from their initial mistakes.

See that's where I disagree these initial mistakes should never have been made in the first place. Some on the mct board have been fans for a long time by there own admission. They've seen the levels of incompetence first hand for 20 years at this club n have continued in that vein by not hitting the ground running just about everything has been delayed tops tickets takeover n the silence is deafening from a communications point aswell. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

Questions would have been asked either way. Like it or not, its the nature of the beast. Lawyers and legal issues are never straightforward and often take longer than anticipated. It's not like we're just buying a house here; there'll be all sorts of legalities/HMRC involvement etc. So what? It's taking longer than we'd hope, but in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. The club is still running - they've said as much and have confirmed there's no show stoppers holding this up. We're at the mercy of lawyers. Not sure what more folk want them to do?

FWIW, i think they could have done certain things better over the summer thus far, but this isnt the stick to beat them with. 

Edited by TONofmemories

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

Tl;dr.

Timeframes of this nature slip right often. Unforseen circumstances occur. Suck it up, accept you dont have a clue about a process like this, and deal with it. It'll be done when everything is squared away. 

^^^ MCT communications director in waiting

MCT should evaluate how such a complex task was handled, in terms of both what they did well and areas that require improvement, after the takeover is complete. This should include identifying concrete steps to improving the overall process so that when the next complex task comes to pass, the organisation is better for the experience. This sort of 'lessons learned' exercise should be absolutely routine after any significant project at a professional organisation. And the views of fans as both proprietors of the club and its dominant customer base are in fact a relevant (but not exclusive) source of feedback informing that exercise.

That a wagon-circle is forming against such an entirely straightforward and cost-free element of project and organisational management is utterly bizarre. 

Edited by vikingTON

1 minute ago, TONofmemories said:

To be fair, probably based on certain fans being absolute wet-wipes. 

If certain fans won't be pleased no matter what, that's one thing. To say on the other hand that this failure to communicate and plan effectively would have had the same reaction - from everyone - if it were 100% reversed is just wishful thinking. Why do anything at all if the outcome is identical no matter what?

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

^^^ MCT communications director in waiting

MCT should evaluate how such a complex task was handled, in terms of both what they did well and areas that require improvement, after the takeover is complete. This should include identifying concrete steps to improving the overall process so that when the next complex task comes to pass, the organisation is better for the experience. This sort of 'lessons learned' exercise should be absolutely routine after any significant project at a professional organisation. And the views of fans as both proprietors of the club and its dominant customer base are in fact a relevant (but not exclusive) source of feedback informing that exercise.

That a wagon-circle is forming against such an entirely straightforward and cost-free element of project and organisational management is utterly bizarre. 

Having a lessons learned isn't what's being debated here though, is it? I'm sure, as you suggest, the entire process will be reviewed and improvement suggestions will be evaluated and, hopefully, brought forward to the next task. 

They're being beat with a stick over something which, by all accounts and from limited experience, is completely out with their control at the moment.  

TIME FOR CHANGE!

51 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Will they be more likely to both identify and learn from mistakes based on open scrutiny and an honest assessment of what did not go according to plan, or from a 'nothing to see here, this happens all the time' exercise in whataboutery and buck-passing? 

Nobody is calling for heads to be delivered on pikes, but the idea that they're going to get a free pass on this one for being newbies is categorically wrong. Whether you or I or MCT like it or not, the clock has been ticking on the credibility of the new ownership since the end of April. There is no beginner's shot at this.

On that note, I think yesterday's email to the membership was well written and informative. It spelled out who will be on the new BoD without having to wait for the takeover to be formalized. It spelled out that the previously-named working group is effectively running the show right now, and also that there's 850 members and 600 STs sold so far.

EOho8Pw.png