Morton Club Together Updates - Page 14 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

It all goes into the same pot as any money from other sources and the club will budget to spend less or equal to that. That will be the same whether it includes MCT money, new sponsorship or anything else.

A: Shan turnstiles and a squad of Dylan Dykes jobbers, because the club has been so chronically mismanaged by GC and their big mate Iron Man that it can no longer afford to do any better. MCT is there to step into the breach and provide a semi-competitive budget - until 2021 of course, when obviously the next James McCarthy comes through, nets us £2 million and we're laughing again.

We're already being asked to pay more in like-for-like admissions than any other club at this level, so why are we to become reliant on some hairbrained fag packet idea where 'ivry buddy chips in munny' to get a team on the park, whilst the normal clubs at our level just use their gate money and revenue from commercial activities and still don't have dung like Rory McKeown in their squads?

*insert signature here*

Certainly not, Paul, no.

Im not involved either, but you read the leadership team. There appears to be some credible businessmem within.

I saw the list, and there are a few folk on the list that I recognise that I can vouch as good folk and Morton-minded people who have been around for years.

There is also quite a few from the whole social enterprise industry, which is a sector that is reliant handouts and grants whilst pleading poverty, salivating about charity, harping on about community and inclusiveness in order to get the grants to justify their wages and expense accounts. To put it bluntly, they are the industry experts at the kind of crap which Warren Hawke was trying to get Morton involved with. Which all begs the question, are all these people on the 'Leadership Team' even Morton supporters?

Also, on the website it states 'lawyers, accountants, business experts, fundraising and investment professionals' - if there are people of this calibre involved then why is this hairbrained idea (which still belongs on the fag packet in which it was first devised) why are these people with legal, financial and business expertise not taking a more active role and getting a decent workable proposal to take to the supporters?

I just happen to see this as an opportunity. Alright there are things to be ironed out, but its not as bad as folk are making out. Ill gladly take a shot in the dark if thats what you want to label it and pledge some money per month. The small sum we're talking wont make a difference to me.

Good for you.

I would sooner shit on my hand and then clap, rather than give money to this hairbrained idea.

Shots in the dark are not what the club needs right now, neither is hairbrained ideas to generate short term funds which would only lead to them pleading poverty in a few years time again. It's the old adage:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

What is proposed won't solve anything in the long term.

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

While I agree with much of the above, i) I still have an active pledge, since I'm of the opinion that it's better than nothing, and ii) having people in the habit of milking the cash cow that is Big Grant can only be a good thing. Even in a parsimonious place like Texas I've seen firsthand how much money there is available for people with a sharp tongue and a slick presentation. In a bleeding-heart place like Scotland, with far lower stakes, I imagine it's a great deal easier. If Falkirk can get a new stadium from their council, imagine what a competent body could achieve? So bring it on, I say. Get all the third-sector pathfinders in on this and let's bleed the public fucking purse for every penny it's got.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

While I agree with much of the above, i) I still have an active pledge, since I'm of the opinion that it's better than nothing, and ii) having people in the habit of milking the cash cow that is Big Grant can only be a good thing. Even in a parsimonious place like Texas I've seen firsthand how much money there is available for people with a sharp tongue and a slick presentation. In a bleeding-heart place like Scotland, with far lower stakes, I imagine it's a great deal easier. If Falkirk can get a new stadium from their council, imagine what a competent body could achieve? So bring it on, I say. Get all the third-sector pathfinders in on this and let's bleed the public fucking purse for every penny it's got.

Pretty much this. Right now its all we have in terms of credible investment. Im happy to support it.

Still however hope theres additional external investors interested ready to put up some cash.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Pretty much this. Right now its all we have in terms of credible investment. Im happy to support it.

Still however hope theres additional external investors interested ready to put up some cash.

Agreed. I'm far from convinced but £2.50 per week for a chance of making a difference. It'll hardly break the bank ffs.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Agreed. I'm far from convinced but £2.50 per week for a chance of making a difference. It'll hardly break the bank ffs.

Ffs!?!

That must be another attempt to get me to toe the party line :rolleyes:

I'm far from convinced too, therefore shitting on my hand and then clapping seems like a better option right now. :)

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

I agree to a certain extent that all these kind of avenues should be explored, and it is a gravy train which if you can tick the right boxes, there will be jobs for the boys.

Which leads us back to a question that Chris McCorkindale will be loathe to see and attempt to sweep under the carpet quickly - the big grant for the feasibility study into the new stand at Cappielow, what was the outcome? what was the point? Who got a payday out of it?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

I'm far from convinced too, therefore shitting on my hand and then clapping seems like a better option right now. :)

Sounds like you've been spending too much time with Ernie. 

• Upvote 2

Ffs!?!

That must be another attempt to get me to toe the party line :rolleyes:

Not at all. Just my personal view, you seem pretty entrenched in yours which is entirely your perogative.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

a sector that is reliant handouts and grants whilst pleading poverty, salivating about charity, harping on about community and inclusiveness in order to get the grants to justify their wages and expense accounts. To put it bluntly, they are the industry experts at the kind of crap which Warren Hawke was trying to get Morton involved with.

This is rubbish, at least if I take you to be referencing the community trust.

Edited by cmdc

This is rubbish, at least if I take you to be referencing the community trust.

How is it rubbish, Chris?

The whole charity/community/poverty industry is a gravy train and that is why Warren tried to get 'Thu Cummunity Trust' involved in all that pish. If only there were more black lesbians in wheelchairs knocking around, we wouldn't need an MCT.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

We're already being asked to pay more in like-for-like admissions than any other club at this level, so why are we to become reliant on some hairbrained fag packet idea where 'ivry buddy chips in munny' to get a team on the park, whilst the normal clubs at our level just use their gate money and revenue from commercial activities and still don't have dung like Rory McKeown in their squads?

I'm in between these points right now. On its own, a minimum £10 a month pledge isn't much at all - and would be something that could gain traction among expat supporters. But when you throw in a ST book for regular supporters, that's £420 a year, compared to less than £200 twelve months ago. That's a huge increase in commitment in an area where most jobs are precarious and wages are lower than the national average.

The ST hike was an own goal and will deter uptake of this scheme. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Christ. How anyone can look at community engagement (funded by money we wouldn’t otherwise get anyway) is mental to me. I completely agree it shouldn’t be the club’s main focus, but it has a place here. A lot of the criticism of something that’s offering a lot of good services, and promoting the Morton name is completely undeserved imo. Its becoming a weird scapegoat for us being absolute shite, when it’s a separate issue.

I'm in between these points right now. On its own, a minimum £10 a month pledge isn't much at all - and would be something that could gain traction among expat supporters. But when you throw in a ST book for regular supporters, that's £420 a year, compared to less than £200 twelve months ago. That's a huge increase in commitment in an area where most jobs are precarious and wages are lower than the national average.

Why not just buy your season ticket at the increased price, and ignore this altogether, saving yourself £120 a year.

*insert signature here*

A lot of the criticism of something that’s offering a lot of good services, and promoting the Morton name is completely undeserved imo. 

Why should 'the Morton name' be attached to some volunteers rocking up at an old folks home with a football to organise a kickabout? What tangible benefit does that offer to the club? If they want to attach the club's prestigious brand to their own daft pet projects then they should be paying a pretty sum for the privilege - just like a local business would be expected to do if they were brazenly ripping off Morton's products or brand to sell their own cheap tat.

If they really want to enhance Morton's place in the community and contribute something meaningful, then they should distribute tickets, merchandise etc. to the most deserving members of the community - and pay the club for the privilege. But that solid and obviously beneficial idea just doesn't have the same bleeding heart story or zany ring to it as under-12s gender awareness futsal does, so instead the club gets nothing in return for this total waste of time.

Lastly, if everything at the club was good or at very least stable, then this wouldn't be a big issue at all. GMFC however is a failing, midtable, second tier football club, run by a disinterested holding company and with more than £2 million of debt on its books. Indeed the last set of accounts specifically raised concerns about the club's going concern status in the near future. But instead of committing time, energy and fresh ideas to resolving that problem, people are too busy rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic in the hope that it'll look a wee bit nicer when it all sinks to the bottom of the fucking sea. 

Enough of this nonsense.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

How is it rubbish, Chris?

The whole charity/community/poverty industry is a gravy train and that is why Warren tried to get 'Thu Cummunity Trust' involved in all that pish. If only there were more black lesbians in wheelchairs knocking around, we wouldn't need an MCT.

I think we have had very different experiences of the charity sector. Maybe you've had that experience, and fair enough if it has made you cynical, but it is a million miles away from the experience of the community trust.

Edited by cmdc

Was the hike in prices really an own goal? The price is largely in line with most teams. Only looks bad becsuse of last years ridiculously cheap prices.

The real own goal was no early bird offer.

TIME FOR CHANGE!