Morton Club Together Updates - Page 118 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

8 hours ago, port-ton said:

Interesting to see that one of our direct league rivals managed to not mess up negotiations with this brand as well. 

I'm sure the decent chunk of money they get from it will come in handy. 

Will MCT members ever get to hear about how at the EGM it was talked about like it was a done deal and now we get to watch competitors reaping the benefits of sponsorships and building relationships with major brands? 

Screenshot_20220722-231625_Twitter.jpg

How do we know that a) it was Footasylum and b) if it was that negotiations have collapsed, seen as partnerships with other clubs are just being announced now and we could be next?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

9 hours ago, port-ton said:

Interesting to see that one of our direct league rivals managed to not mess up negotiations with this brand as well. 

I'm sure the decent chunk of money they get from it will come in handy. 

Will MCT members ever get to hear about how at the EGM it was talked about like it was a done deal and now we get to watch competitors reaping the benefits of sponsorships and building relationships with major brands? 

Screenshot_20220722-231625_Twitter.jpg

I’m sure it will be. Perhaps it will reduce their annual losses from a million to about £850k.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

You had the perfect chance to implement change, Stuart, but opted to throw toys out the pram and leave in a huff didn't you

Maybe you should talk to Stuart rather than speculate on why he left.

• Downvote 2
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

How do we know that a) it was Footasylum and b) if it was that negotiations have collapsed, seen as partnerships with other clubs are just being announced now and we could be next?

I'd heard earlier in the summer it was foot asylum and was waiting for it to be announced by them and the club together at some point together like Gordon Ritchie said at the EGM and didn't really think about it again until I wondered wtf had happened to it earlier this week and was told that the deal was off. 

If the club have went back in to negotiations and it's announced on Monday that we've got a deal with them too and I look stupid then great, but I won't hold my breath.  

Edit to add: if I was confident in the club actually communicating this to the fans then I'd have waited for them to do so but since it's been radio silence ever since the EGM my hope is it being put on the forum will convince them to come put and clarify the situation for the fans. 

Edited by port-ton

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Pretty grim reading. My first impression on reading it is that MCT have bitten off more that they could chew and harsh reality has now well and truly hit home. 

One statement I found a quite baffling was, 'This has continued into the 2022/23 season, with energy and utilities being one of those unplanned costs that we have to pay. The club utilities bill has increased by 325% for example.'

Firstly, surely energy and utilities costs were not 'unplanned', and secondly, how the hell has the bill increased by 325%, when the average domestic energy increase is 36%??  

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant
  • Upvote 1

The most grim thing about the statement for me is that this is the PR version to be as positive as possible about the situation due to them relying on MCT member funds so much. 

I don't really see how fan ownership taking out loans after 12 months can be considered a viable option. Surely that's just kicking the can down the road. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

29 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Pretty grim reading. My first impression on reading it is that MCT have bitten off more that they could chew and harsh realty has now well and truly hit home. 

One statement I found a quite baffling was, 'This has continued into the 2022/23 season, with energy and utilities being one of those unplanned costs that we have to pay. The club utilities bill has increased by 325% for example.'

Firstly, surely energy and utilities costs were not 'unplanned', and secondly, how the hell has the bill increased by 325%, when the average domestic energy increase is 36%??  

Aye, talking about budgeting one minute and unplanned costs the next. Utilities are the kind of thing that should have been accounted for at best and worst case scenario. 

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Pretty grim reading. My first impression on reading it is that MCT have bitten off more that they could chew and harsh realty has now well and truly hit home. 

There's no cap on business energy rates. That's still quite high, but if they were leaving a good deal then it's quite the hit that they'll be taking. I managed to tie business energy rates in at the beginning of the year which were just over twice what they had been (and the previous deal wasn't even very good) - and that was before Russia invaded Ukraine. 

36% would be great, btw. By October, it looks like I'll be about 200% up on what I have been paying domestically up until early last month. 

Edited by SpoonTon

The energy required for running a football ground is hardly scalable compared to that required to run a house!  Also my energy costs are up a helluva lot more than 36% since moving off my old fixed tariff and onto a flexible one sitting at the price cap! I can’t see why Morton coming off a business tariff wouldnt be similar!

The energy rises we’ve seen since March have also been astronomical and could hardly been planned for so I’m not sure what folk could expect the club to do in that respect 

Edited by bob_the_builder
  • Upvote 1

here today, gone to hell

It's true that energy costs have rocketed, but I don't think it's as much as a 325% increase unless I've missed something.

The reality is that the club needs to have income that matches expenditure.  All those who moan about the cost of admission need to realise that we can't have a title winning team and a tenner to get in.  Other sources of income can be maximised - there has been a noticeable improvement in the merch recently for example - but without sufficient income, it's difficult to achieve anything.  The old model of developing and selling on players is pretty much gone for good.

I note that two MCT directors are not seeking re-election but are remaining on the Morton board.  Why?  What particular talents do they have that can benefit the club?  Should these individuals not also resign?  For that matter, as we, the fans, own Morton, should we not be offered a chance to elect the Morton board ourselves?  Or is being a board member at Cappielow a hereditary privilege or a closed shop?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

28 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Aye, talking about budgeting one minute and unplanned costs the next. Utilities are the kind of thing that should have been accounted for at best and worst case scenario. 

Increases in utility costs have been on the horizon for a bit over a year, but the extent of it wasn't at all clear. I can't blame them for not seeing the extent of this coming when 'industry experts' have only in the past couple of weeks revised their prediction, for the domestic cap, up by an additional £400+.

20 hours ago, bob_the_builder said:

The energy required for running a football ground is hardly scalable compared to that required to run a house!  

Of course, but have commercial energy prices really increased by 325% from 2021 to 2022? If that's true, then that would be incredible, to say the least. So if the utility bill really has increased by 325% then a very large part of that must surely be because of increased energy consumption, and not only solely down to cost increases. That would then beg the question, why has usage increased so much in the last year?

By the way, I got the 36% from this....

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9491/#:~:text=Trends in prices up to 2021&text=The average bill for the,%2C a 36% real increase.

... but I see now that was the increase from 2020 to 2021, so it's not correct.

4 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Of course, but have commercial energy prices really increased by 350% from 2021 to 2022? If that's true, then that would be incredible, to say the least. So if the utility bill really has increased by 350% then a very large part of that must surely be because of increased energy consumption, and not only solely down to cost increases. That would then beg the question, why has usage increased so much in the last year?

By the way, I got the 36% from this....

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-9491/#:~:text=Trends in prices up to 2021&text=The average bill for the,%2C a 36% real increase.

... but I see now that was the increase from 2020 to 2021, so it's not correct.

I’ve obviously not looked into commercial prices but I’ve seen plenty of horror stories on social media about people claiming their domestic prices going up from double figures into horrendous treble figures, some well over 300% so I can believe the club aren’t taking the Mickey when they claim this.
The energy provider will also be a factor as many of the big ones have also taken the piss when putting up direct debits/payments etc in order to “meet the demands” of the customer’s bill so that could also be a factor.

here today, gone to hell

24 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

I’ve obviously not looked into commercial prices but I’ve seen plenty of horror stories on social media about people claiming their domestic prices going up from double figures into horrendous treble figures, some well over 300% so I can believe the club aren’t taking the Mickey when they claim this.
The energy provider will also be a factor as many of the big ones have also taken the piss when putting up direct debits/payments etc in order to “meet the demands” of the customer’s bill so that could also be a factor.

If commercial energy prices really have increased by 325% in the last year in the UK, and I take your word for it that they have, then I confidently predict that the whole economy will soon collapse as very few business could absorb that level of increase. 

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Aye, that does seem quite wild. As an idle thought, I wonder if solar panels on the stand and Cowshed roofs could be a viable option to try to bring costs down? 

Anyway, I'm not sure this really answers many questions. As has been said before, the amount of money coming into the club over the last year is significantly greater than it was in the previous years on many fronts partly due to the end of COVID restrictions, the MCT money is a huge additional source of income, and season ticket sales are up (and we have the most expensive tickets in the league).

Surely that has got to go some way to off-setting the increase in costs, bearing in mind that every single other club's costs will also be going up and yet nobody seems to be pleading poverty quite like Morton are? Is there particular reasons why Morton appear to be singularly incapable of having football players? If so, what are they and what is being done about it? What's the alternatives? Why aren't we talking about part-time football? Why was there an EGM for directors to talk shite about friendlies in England and a cobbled together on the back of a fag packet scheme and not to talk seriously about the way forward?

Calling this a squad of 20 players, whilst technically true, doesn't quite cut it either imo. I mentioned this in the squad thread, but who was responsible for the new contracts offered to the likes of McGrattan and Garrity? Two players who weren't getting near the team, one of whom is 21 and not exactly a young boy. Now don't get me wrong, I think the former in particular looks really promising, but nonetheless, I'm not sure doling out two year contracts to somebody who isn't getting a game makes a great deal of sense. My suspicion is that these decisions didn't come from the manager, but that's just a guess, and even if it was club decisions then Imrie has made bad ones too and isn't blameless. 

It just seems like a random selection of wee guys flung in alongside, as I said elsewhere, a mere 10 senior players with as much as a season's worth of meaningful football under their belts (and I mean no disrespect to the youngsters, but come on, they shouldn't be making up such a significant chunk of the actual, proper squad). Even with tightening the purse strings, this just seems like a total mess rather than a natural consequence of the circumstances  or the product of any kind of planning. 20 players it may be, but...well, it just sort of isn't a seriously assembled squad for a Championship football team, is it? 

Also, the share scheme falling apart isn't too surprising as it never seemed a hugely appealing proposition tbh, if I was loaded it didn't seem like something a thing I'd have been too attracted to, and nor did it do a great deal to project confidence in the project to be almost immediately wanting to offload a significant chunk of shares and wanting other parties to bail them out whilst keeping the MCT name on the front door. That just seemed a non-starter from the off, and not really a great situation for any party.

I think it's curious, also, that a number of things seem to have fallen through; maybe it's just how it went, but maybe there's a reason why it's happening. Vague statements about "not what we wanted" etc don't really cut it. On what grounds? Decided by who? Maybe the person deciding these things is wrong?

I think it'd be very helpful for MCT to provide a much more detailed explanation of what exactly has happened with all of these things as it's not impossible that individuals within the club or MCT have made a mess of it. We shouldn't forget that the MCT hierarchy thought the absolute nonsense regarding GC keeping the stadium was acceptable, which in itself should ensure their judgement on negotiations should be treated with some scepticism.

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust MCT at all to run this club well. It was botched in its conception ("look at me Crawford! Let me help you!"), it's been botched in its inception (its money for nothing to put shadowy, unaccountable figures in the boardoom) and I simply do not trust it and its representatives (if there even are any) on the board to not make a total fuckin cunt of it. I've tried to reserve too much judgement on it, I was even tempted to sign up towards the end of last season, but the last few months are just proving it to be a bit of a shambles, in all honesty.

Either there's a serious proposal put forward from MCT about how they're going to turn things around, or they accept they're not up to it and invite offers. 

Edited by EanieMeany
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

AWMSC

Invite offers for what, exactly?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Invite offers for what, exactly?

Cheap credit as opposed to genuine investment, by the sounds of it. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Pretty grim reading. My first impression on reading it is that MCT have bitten off more that they could chew and harsh reality has now well and truly hit home. 

36%?  Our gas and electric has nearly doubled and will treble at the turn of the year.  I'd imagine most folk are the same.   Ive said it a million times but fan ownership simply can't work at our level and we're now seeing alarm bells ringing.  We're about to sink without trace unless someone or a group take the club on.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"