Morton Club Together Updates - Page 121 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

6 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

I'm not sure how you get from "a potential investor in MCT" to "buying the ground at an under market value price". You can't  "invest" in MCT it's a membership organisation based on one man one vote. You can donate money through your membership contributions but you can't invest. The members of MCT own GMFC Property Ltd and unless persuaded otherwise wouldn't sell the ground "at an under market value price" because once the ground is gone that really would be the end. 

I'm as far from a business expert as possible but the only two directors of GMFC Properties on Companies House will be shortly stepping down from the MCT board while remaining on the GMFC board which again seems strange to me. 

I genuinely don't know the answer but do the MCT members have voting rights on major decions made by GMFC properties Ltd the same way we do with the running of the football club? 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

How is it allowed that they can step down from MCT (the vehicle that got them on the GMFC board) but remain on the GMFC board? Surely if you step down from MCT you do the same for GMFC? 

I have absolutely no idea about this so if someone is happy to help explain that would be great! 

On 7/28/2022 at 6:35 PM, port-ton said:

I'm as far from a business expert as possible but the only two directors of GMFC Properties on Companies House will be shortly stepping down from the MCT board while remaining on the GMFC board which again seems strange to me. 

I genuinely don't know the answer but do the MCT members have voting rights on major decions made by GMFC properties Ltd the same way we do with the running of the football club? 

On 7/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, Tubes said:

How is it allowed that they can step down from MCT (the vehicle that got them on the GMFC board) but remain on the GMFC board? Surely if you step down from MCT you do the same for GMFC? 

I have absolutely no idea about this so if someone is happy to help explain that would be great! 

Under NO circumstances should people who are not directors of MCT be directors of GMFC Property Ltd. Both Gordon Ritchie and Stewart Farmer should resign from GMFC Property Ltd and be replaced by ALL the directors of MCT. NEVER should the people who are directors of GMFC Property Ltd be unnaccountable to the membership of MCT. 

That should be written into the MCT Articles of Association. 

• Upvote 1
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

On 8/1/2022 at 9:54 AM, Jamie_M said:

John Sutton confirming the binning of the development squad and as a result, him being away.

Would have been nice of the club to have bothered to update the fans on these sort of changes.

Club finally tell us.

Can't argue with the decision given the financial situation at the club. The best reserve players we had already make up a decent chunk of our first team squad this season. The ability to bridge the gap between the best youth team players and the first team with loan moves is a viable and more cost effective choice at the moment. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I don't think it's a bad thing as such, but not when you're just merging it with the first team and trying to pass it off as serious squad for Championship football. If the Development Team was going, then in all honesty, the likes of Garrity, McGrattan et al shouldn't have been given new contracts (those two were renewed in February, I think a couple of others were relatively recent too? ), they should have been released if the team they were part of was no longer there. This decision surely has surely been in the pipeline for some time and (hopefully) hasn't just been made on a whim.

As I've said elsewhere, this isn't a criticism of those players, but look how little game time McGrattan got last season even when he showed he had something to offer, and even look at Saturday when he didn't get off the bench when we weren't managing to get a grip of the game against 10 men. There's little to suggest Imrie really wanted these players, so why keep them? 

Was Imrie asked if he wanted those players signed up? When was he told he was getting hit with a bunch of youth/reserve players as a huge chunk of his squad? 

Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing to look to utilise loans etc, but given this is partly being presented as a footballing strategy as much as a cost-cutting one, it'd also be interested to know if any input was sought from Derek Anderson and Imrie too? Whilst it's true that the financial situation may have left no room for manoeuvre on it, I'd like to think that this wasn't just done at the behest of the seemingly unaccountable board members without fully considering the full picture of how it affects the youth set-up.

Also, once again, I just don't really accept this idea that the picture we're being painted is an inevitable one and I think MCT seriously need to provide a helluva lot more detail to explain why it is so. The money coming into the club is considerably higher than previous years, the MCT donations are significant, gate prices are up, season ticket sales are up so whilst acknowledging rising costs etc, it doesn't quite add up that we're in a position where we're reduced to such a threadbare operation and seemingly unable to have very many proper footballer players on the books.

AWMSC

37 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Instead, most people found this out through John Sutton announcing his departure on twitter. Then there was a Telegraph story, where the narrative was entirely "we've had to do this because we're skint." Only the day after that Tele story did we get a club statement on the matter.

Even more so when the actual decisions were taken several weeks prior, there had been relatives of released players posting about it, and the club has even bothered to delete the players and staff from the official site, all without mentioning it.

See that an MCT board member who's supposed to have a background in marketing saying the tone of the latest club update is good and it's good to see feedback from fans. 

This has been the message from MCT for a while and I fail to see what they're doing to help or hold the club to account. Instead it seems like he's distancing them. Not a good look.

Edited by irnbru

Whilst I appreciate the need for cost cutting, i.e getting rid of the reserves/ development squad, did this free up a financial gain for the budget for the Morton first team, and will this allow the manager to make some more signings to an already heavily depleted squad? Who knows! Also as an MCT member, can anyone please clarify what went wrong with the "exciting" sponsorship deal that never happened. ( and why). Ton fans are getting  a raw deal here, hence the lack of clarity on the official website and from MCT. Not asking for much, but the weekly update is poor, hence the lack of activity on this forum! I am getting increasingly worried about the direction that our beloved historic club is heading towards! 

3 hours ago, helensburghton said:

Whilst I appreciate the need for cost cutting, i.e getting rid of the reserves/ development squad, did this free up a financial gain for the budget for the Morton first team, and will this allow the manager to make some more signings to an already heavily depleted squad? Who knows!

Have you been living on a moon of Saturn for the past 6 months?

There's not a business in the country that is "freeing up budget" by making cutbacks right now - they're being made to keep their heads just above water. And unless there's either enormous government intervention or an enormous backtrack on the ridiculous energy war that western Europe has foolishly lolloped into, most of the businesses that even achieve severe cost cutting still won't survive the coming winter. 

At what point will people wake up and realise that the shit hitting the fan every day in the news also applies to GMFC? There is no energy price cap for businesses under the current system. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Have you been living on a moon of Saturn for the past 6 months?

There's not a business in the country that is "freeing up budget" by making cutbacks right now - they're being made to keep their heads just above water. And unless there's either enormous government intervention or an enormous backtrack on the ridiculous energy war that western Europe has foolishly lolloped into, most of the businesses that even achieve severe cost cutting still won't survive the coming winter. 

At what point will people wake up and realise that the shit hitting the fan every day in the news also applies to GMFC? There is no energy price cap for businesses under the current system. 

I'm well aware of what's happened in the last six months, just asking for a bit of clarity from the club just now,  that's all.