Morton Club Together Updates - Page 114 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

I see Ayr have released a fan consultation questionnaire regarding the clubs vote on the introduction of VAR. you'd imagine as a fan owned club and not a fan run club that this sort of decision would be within the clubs remit to consult MCT members and/or fans on before casting their vote. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

23 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I have gone from being anti-VAR to pro-VAR over the past year. I would assume any membership vote would be advisory and not binding, but for me it's "yes." 

It's a no from me. Firstly because I like the debates and controversial stuff that makes football good. Secondly, it's going to cost a bit for team like us if we got up and it's less of an impact for the teams that can afford it. 

• Downvote 1

I’d be inclined to lean towards no as it’s not going to improve the standard of refereeing. The money would be much better used on funding full-time officials, regular review meetings etc etc instead of having the same rubbish officials still managing to get things wrong watching a TV.

I don’t think it’s a solution to poor officiating, it’s a way to not have to bother finding one and the same old whinging and moaning will carry on as normal (or worse) when wrong decisions are still being reached or when something or other isn’t reviewed.

It’s a waste of time and money until such times as the core problem is addressed. 

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Yes for me. Move with the times like other European countries and if we have the chance to get more decisions right, I'm all for it. 

Find it slightly odd that all 42 clubs have a vote on this right enough; should just be the premiership clubs for me.

9 hours ago, Madton said:

Yes for me. Move with the times like other European countries and if we have the chance to get more decisions right, I'm all for it. 

Find it slightly odd that all 42 clubs have a vote on this right enough; should just be the premiership clubs for me.

The money to fund it is coming by changing the split of prize money, so all 42 clubs have to approve it even though no one outside the Premiership is seeing a change.

It is going to be incredible to see the reaction if Premiership clubs vote in favour then it gets blocked by League One and Two.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

In general it's a no from me, i don't agree that technology (VAR or Goal line cameras) should only be available to the top leagues. If they are going to introduce these things then every club should have the advantage of them (I know that there's an associated cost which most clubs couldn't afford) but why should a PL club get the benefit of a decision to win a title or stay up when a club in a lower league loses out on promotion or gets relegated on a similar decision without the "benefit" of the same technology.

As long there's have said use the money to improve the standard of officials.

5 hours ago, Toby said:

A large chunk of what would otherwise be sponsorship and prize money is being diverted to pay for VAR, of course the lower league clubs should have a say in how that money is spent. As well as that, the SPFL exists because the short lived basket case which was the SPL couldn’t keep it’s house in order. I’m afraid if you fuck things up so much as to have to go back cap in hand to the clubs you discarded 15 years previous, there are consequences when you invite them back into the fold.

As for VAR itself, personally I’m not a big fan but am in favour of it’s introduction in Scotland. It’ll be an absolute shit show for the first couple of years I’d imagine, but it’s in football to stay now and every other major nation will implement it (and yes, relatively speaking we are a major nation). As well as for our players, refereeing standards in this country should be something that we should seek to maintain/improve (delete as appropriate) and not allowing them access to VAR will stunt their development on a global scale.

I get the point that it should be implemented across the board but that’s not the case in football anyway- there are non-league games I go to with club officials in tracksuits running the line, something that wouldn’t happen in the Championship. Everything has to start with a small step.

This is what it comes down to for me as well. Much as summer football is the mark of a diddy nation, in a few years so too will having a top flight without VAR.

As Dunning says, that really needs to come with screens, because Scotland has such a huge culture of match attendance (which other major footballing countries, comparatively, do not.)

EOho8Pw.png

Irrespective of personal feelings there seems to be an inevitability about the adoption of VAR for the top league and it's probably only a matter of time before UEFA mandates it. 

However to further impoverish lower leagues in order to subsidise it seems very unfair. The quality of refereeing in Scotland appears to be getting worse and I see nothing from the SFA about how they intend to improve it or even recognise it as an issue. Perhaps the top league should be contributing something to improving professionalism amongst the woeful referees and gutless assistants we see on a regular basis. 

Edited by TaunTon

On 4/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, irnbru said:

It's a no from me. Firstly because I like the debates and controversial stuff that makes football good.

Erm yes, because the past two home games were really enhanced by having some dingbat arbitrarily applying the laws of the game and not awarding blatant penalties. 

If you think that VAR has removed debate about decisions then you must be living under a rock. It has only removed debate from egregious and obvious errors to about 99% effectiveness. 

There are valid arguments to make but 'och ah like controversy though' isn't one of them. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Erm yes, because the past two home games were really enhanced by having some dingbat arbitrarily applying the laws of the game and not awarding blatant penalties. 

If you think that VAR has removed debate about decisions then you must be living under a rock. It has only removed debate from egregious and obvious errors to about 99% effectiveness. 

There are valid arguments to make but 'och ah like controversy though' isn't one of them. 

Well actually, it is. Having football all about human error and performance is one of the things that makes it exciting. 

That said, Willie Collum has changed my mind. 

4 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Well actually, it is. Having football all about human error and performance is one of the things that makes it exciting. 

That said, Willie Collum has changed my mind. 

The playing of football is not the same as officiating of football. One of those is subject to human error as part of the sport; the other isn't. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

41 out of 42 have voted in favour of VAR.

Notice Sky advised that only the Premiership clubs would be paying for it so presumably we and the rest of the diddy leagues don't take the hit.

Edited by Madton

1 hour ago, Madton said:

41 out of 42 have voted in favour of VAR.

Notice Sky advised that only the Premiership clubs would be paying for it so presumably we and the rest of the diddy leagues don't take the hit.

Aye  it was announced last week that if voted through, it would be paid for by the Premiership teams based on league position.

League Position Cost Contribution (%)
1st 16.29%
2nd 11.67%
3rd 10.03%
4th 8.81%
5th 8.21%
6th 7.61%
7th 6.97%
8th 6.69%
9th 6.38%
10th 6.08%
11th 5.63%
12th 5.63%
  • Upvote 1

So it turns out it was us that were the only club that voted against VAR!!  Bit of a riddy seeing as it was clearly stated Premiership clubs would foot the bill.  

ETA if we actually had VAR at our disposal we'd potentially be a good few points better off!!  Can't help but think the club have made themselves look really daft on this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61173475

image.png

Edited by bob_the_builder

here today, gone to hell

9 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

So it turns out it was us that were the only club that voted against VAR!!  Bit of a riddy seeing as it was clearly stated Premiership clubs would foot the bill.  

ETA if we actually had VAR at our disposal we'd potentially be a good few points better off!!  Can't help but think the club have made themselves look really daft on this one.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61173475

image.png

On the other hand, if we had VAR on Saturday we'd all still be at Cappielow waiting for the match to finish after the amount of checks that would have been needed. 

I know it won't be at our level, but that was a top level ref. The level of refereeing better improve, or VAR will make things very messy. I'm generally in favour of VAR, but it has to be implemented really well or it makes the game worse (and general rules also need to be adjusted - the spirit of the offside rule, for example, has been lost in the showing off of technology).

It's probably something that needs to be done in Scottish football, but I don't have confidence that it will actually improve things. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

On the other hand, if we had VAR on Saturday we'd all still be at Cappielow waiting for the match to finish after the amount of checks that would have been needed. 

I know it won't be at our level, but that was a top level ref. The level of refereeing better improve, or VAR will make things very messy. I'm generally in favour of VAR, but it has to be implemented really well or it makes the game worse (and general rules also need to be adjusted - the spirit of the offside rule, for example, has been lost in the showing off of technology).

It's probably something that needs to be done in Scottish football, but I don't have confidence that it will actually improve things. 

True but then we may have also finished the game with that very valuable point or even all 3!

Total agreement with the rest of your post, it needs to be properly implemented which I'm not overly confident the SFA/SPFL will do!  I've not really managed to see much MOTD recently so not sure if it's still as contentious in the EPL but the set up seems to working quite well in the Champions League and Europa League and the WC qualifiers for Scotland.

Our referees do really need to improve but they also need all the help they can get, especially during the paranoia twins games for example.  As for Collum (and quite a few officials) imo the problem is his attitude.  He clearly thinks our games are beneath him and I doubt very much he applies the same effort to championship level games as he would to the televised PL games as he knows far less people give a toss.

here today, gone to hell