Morton Club Together Updates - Page 107 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Received an email yesterday saying two guys have been out forward to join the board. Scott Gillan and Stewart Duncan. Not sure if they post on here or not. Hopefully it's a good appointment for the club.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

32 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Terrible stuff and no acknowledgement of anything that really matters. 

3 minutes to tell us things are back to normal after lock down and we've bought a new lawnmower. 

Everything mentioned is something that every club in Scotland does, including most junior sides. 

I don't care we've got a Christmas Carol thing when the crowds are dropping, fans aren't happy and the communication is terrible. 

Aye. All good if you're the lady Alice club master. Not so much the GM of a championship football club.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

30 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Terrible stuff and no acknowledgement of anything that really matters. 

3 minutes to tell us things are back to normal after lock down and we've bought a new lawnmower. 

Everything mentioned is something that every club in Scotland does, including most junior sides. 

I don't care we've got a Christmas Carol thing when the crowds are dropping, fans aren't happy and the communication is terrible. 

To be fair, the biggest criticism there is that he's had to spend so much time and energy getting the club back up to a minimal standard. Most of this stuff should have been prepared and ready to go before the summer. He's started from a low base. 

That being said, it's time to build on this and start getting some other issues sorted. And more than anything else, there's needs to be a completely different attitude fostered by the club. We desperately need some optimism and ambition. 

Very disappointing update. Everything mentioned should be a given. We must be the only club in Scotland that thinks selling tickets online, offering hospitality and accommodating disabled fans is something to 'boast' about. Where are the new ideas on engaging with fans and increasing turnover? We really are a tinpot outfit under MCT.

They must think we button up the back. If this is what we’re getting from a 3 minute interview designed to show the club in the best possible light from their internal media, this podcast that they’re telling us they’ll be putting out will be a fucking hoot.

Despite it being completely underwhelming progress, they are still tangible things that take time and needed done even if it only takes us back to a pre pandemic point, so I've not really any complaints about that.

The clear lack of any action or even vocalised plans from anyone in a position of power to bring the club forward are hugely concerning. Getting quite bored of being sold the bare minimum as if we've won a speedboat, or being told that the board have plans to make plans over and over again. 

Chris is quite new to the club and especially to the CEO role and judging by the wording in the article announcing his promotion he clearly felt he was doing more work than his role and pay intended him to so I'm not going to sit and criticise him.

The board again though have had a foot in the door for the whole year getting to know how to run the club pre-takeover and the fact that what's mentioned in that video is all the progress made behind the scenes falls entirely at their door yet again. 

• Upvote 1

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

33 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Despite it being completely underwhelming progress, they are still tangible things that take time and needed done even if it only takes us back to a pre pandemic point, so I've not really any complaints about that.

The clear lack of any action or even vocalised plans from anyone in a position of power to bring the club forward are hugely concerning. Getting quite bored of being sold the bare minimum as if we've won a speedboat, or being told that the board have plans to make plans over and over again. 

Chris is quite new to the club and especially to the CEO role and judging by the wording in the article announcing his promotion he clearly felt he was doing more work than his role and pay intended him to so I'm not going to sit and criticise him.

The board again though have had a foot in the door for the whole year getting to know how to run the club pre-takeover and the fact that what's mentioned in that video is all the progress made behind the scenes falls entirely at their door yet again. 

The part in bold really bears repeating. I'm sure these guys were doing something during that transition period but you'd be hard-pressed to see what it actually is.

While Chris just got the full CEO job and deserves a chance to prove himself, does he remember that the object of the enterprise here is running a professional football club which might be expected to win a match every now and again? I didn't hear a single mention of the football structure in his interview, nor the first team. Not even the youth team, come to think of it. This would have made sense when he was General Manager, but what is the structure now that he's CEO? "Do everything you were previously doing, only moreso" seems to be the size of it. Do footballing matters still lie with that unnamed coterie of four Board members? Does Chris have any input into them or any responsibility towards them? Coz no offence n'at but I can do without someone making hot chocolate for the carol singers if they'd be better served getting guys like Nick away from footballing decisions.

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

The part in bold really bears repeating. I'm sure these guys were doing something during that transition period but you'd be hard-pressed to see what it actually is.

Well the chief beard managed to swan around and get on everyone's tits by the time of the play-offs, which has set the tone nicely for their reign so far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

53 minutes ago, DumfriesTon said:

He mentions reaching out to the Inverclyde community to get them into games. Have we done anything?

I don't live in the area (and I'm happy to be proved wrong here) but I'd guarantee you the club is doing nothing/very little to do that. 

In any case community engagement should largely be the domain of the Community Trust. I get that the CT's remit isn't to get fans into games but it's a nice side-effect of people being engaged with Morton. If part of MCT's remit (and by extension the Board's remit) is to get fans paying into games then community outreach is the thin end of the wedge; a competitive first team and a buzz about the place on the playing side are by far the most meaningful ways of doing that.

I'm not complaining about things like the carol singers, events like these being good and nice things and a positive aspect of the club... but if the club's Board and CEO (separate from the Community Trust) starts treating these things as either ends in themselves or ways of engaging with the support then we're in deep bother. The primary reason why most people who care about Morton care about Morton is that it's a professional football club whose first team competes in the SPFL. That is the core product, that is the part that people stand in the rain for, that is the part that people pay money for. And I think a few Scottish clubs are, if you'll pardon the expression, sniffing each others' farts and talking about governance and community engagement and best practices to the expense of their core business. I think Morton are in real danger of becoming one such club.

Again, this is not to impugn in any way the Community Trust, nor the work they do, nor the community stuff the Club does in addition to it. These are good things. But the club's board's main focus absolutely must be first team affairs, and I'm increasingly concerned that it isn't.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

41 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Not that it’d be met with much enthusiasm, but there hasn’t been a single mention of our Scottish Cup game on Tuesday or how to obtain tickets for it. 

But at least cappie will have the mcgills logo on for it.