Morton Club Together Updates - Page 104 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

5 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I don't see that as a helpful way of viewing what a subscription is - it should be capital investment which is used to help build the club's infrastructure. It should be completely separate from the running of the first team squad, which as you say can be funded from season tickets, league prize money, sponsorship and commercial revenue. Not to mention the taxpayer money that the club is sitting on from last season's farce of a campaign across the Scottish leagues. 

If MCT does not clearly distinguish the purpose of a subscription from the first team affairs of the club then the scheme is bound to fail. The leadership needs to get out soon and explain what they are going to do off the park to improve the club. That is something that most of not all supporters can get behind: they are not going to fork out for a Gus (or any other manager's) transfer kitty. 

It wasn't me that concocted this harebrained 'ivry buddy chips in munny' idea, I can merely see it for what it is.  Nobody is under any obligation to follow through with their donations or 'subscriptions', it it is purely reliant on the goodwill of the Morton supporters coming good with their pledges.  If a large proportion of those supporters become disenfranchised for whatever reason and cancel their donations or 'subscriptions' that is when we will start to see problems with the scheme.

The likely scenario is that our 'committee men' will start chucking others under the bus, with the sex offender and the manager the most likely targets, as they will most likely do that rather than address the root cause of the problem - themselves.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Anyone looking at the accounts of Morton will quickly realise that the club has failed to make a profit or break even in all but one season in the last 20 years. If you think MCT can turn that around quickly you're not operating in the real world.

The club do need the money from MCT members to keep going until such time they get their act together and find other ways to generate revenue. How long that will take nobody knows, worryingly MCT don't appear to know either and the members will only give the current board a limited time to get it right. 

The quicker we make the changes at Cappielow that are required the better for all our sakes.

Edited by 9 Strathblane Crescent
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

22 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Anyone looking at the accounts of Morton will quickly realise that the club has failed to make a profit or break even in all but one season in the last 20 years. If you think MCT can turn that around quickly you're not operating in the real world.

The football club was being run for most of those 20 years as the personal plaything of an owner who signed Chris Templeman, Iain Diack and Tony Wallace for real, actual money. Not to mention 'Allan" McMenamin and the wrong Marc McCulloch, so we're not exactly dealing with Geoff Brown's Saint Johnstone as the starting point.

By far the biggest cost at the football club is wages paid to a bunch of full time players in name only. It is absolutely possible to rectify this shortfall in the short term by accepting that the current model isn't working and inform all but a select group of younger players to find a day job instead. That's the real world that GMFC are refusing to operate in, while being on track to record half the points total of part-time Arbroath in the same division.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

19 hours ago, port-ton said:

I noticed yesterday that because we didn't have a second goalkeeper (and probably a lack of bodies available ) that the bloody kit man had to take part in the warm up to help warm up Hamilton with his distribution. 

As far as amateur goes it doesn't get much more tinpot than that. 

Don't we have a goalkeeper coach? I thought we got one in a while back. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

1 hour ago, TONofmemories said:

Don't we have a goalkeeper coach? I thought we got one in a while back. 

We do. He was warming up Jack as well but they needed someone on the half way line for him to kick balls to. Obviously in most cases you'd have both keepers doing that warm up routine but we roped in the kit man due to our lack of a second keeper and presumably the fact that every first team player available was in the match day squad. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

On 11/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, Toby said:

This, incidentally is something that could cost the club a fine in a few weeks. I read recently that one of the non-league clubs was given a suspended punishment for not listing a reserve goalkeeper for their Scottish Cup tie this season.

Can we assume that those running the club know that they’re required to have two goalkeepers in their playing squad for Scottish Cup games?

Astonishingly, I think there might actually be some awareness of this from within the club based on the fact Wylie miraculously appeared on the bench last season for the Scottish Cup games before disappearing again for the league games.

Yet here we are, 2 weeks away from the cup game and the party line is that they will look at keepers in January. Are they choosing to take a fine over paying wages?

Penicuik got a £1000 fine for their breach.

35 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Not for a second saying this is what should happen, but does it have to be a "recognised keeper", could they not just name any registered player as sub goalkeeper for the day.

Some will recall Ally Maxwell coming on as an outfield player at Alloa.

There are slightly looser cup-tied rules applied to players whose 'customary position' is goalkeeper. Such players must only play in goal and nowhere else. However, you're correct in asking - in the reverse case, of an outfield player being named as a substitute 'keeper, that is perfectly allowed. And as long as the player was otherwise completely eligible to play for the club in the Cup, you could sub him on up front if you wanted to.

Like you, I am not saying this should happen, although it would be a tremendously Morton thing to do.

EOho8Pw.png

14 hours ago, dmcewan16 said:

It was more around the way the club involved the community. 

We were the same coming out of administration though. It's a lot easier in times of real adversity. 

Personally, I thought that documentary just came across as a programme about a rich guy with a new toy. 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, StuartTon said:

Genuine question. I know the Easdales are still regulars in the Directors box (this season both at home AND away games), but why was Crawford Rae back sitting in what is traditionally the Chairman’s seat for the match against Killie?

D79943EC-11D7-480E-8A88-0FF2FD0DEE3B.jpeg

Anyone from MCT able to comment on this?

On 11/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, StuartTon said:

Genuine question. I know the Easdales are still regulars in the Directors box (this season both at home AND away games), but why was Crawford Rae back sitting in what is traditionally the Chairman’s seat for the match against Killie?

D79943EC-11D7-480E-8A88-0FF2FD0DEE3B.jpeg

Would really like some clarification as to why the easedales, Rae and 2 councillors are all sitting in the directors box? I also hope that they all paid in or have season tickets.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come