Morton Club Together Updates - Page 101 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

9 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

His actions over a decade ago aren't really for us to worry about though. The endless tail wagging over this is OTT

Direct discrimination no matter the previous circumstances is totally unacceptable in any workplace! No wonder the team don't applaud the crowd before kick off! Totally on the same level as you!

16 minutes ago, helensburghton said:

Direct discrimination no matter the previous circumstances is totally unacceptable in any workplace! No wonder the team don't applaud the crowd before kick off! Totally on the same level as you!

You seem like a right fanny.  The type of fan who'll clap the club I love into its grave.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

18 minutes ago, helensburghton said:

Regardless of where everyone stands on Lithgow’s crimes and suitability to be employed by Morton, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse take on any subject on this, or any other forum, in my life.

If Ian Huntley ever gets out of prison, would you be happy with him taking up a role as a janny at your kids’ primary school?

Mental.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Since Lithgow came through the door we've had members here turning into the local "beast hunters".

"But especially under community ownership" seems to be thrown around a lot too. The club have hired some horrible bastards down the years and some clubs still do, even in the league above us! I understand that Lithgow's crimes may be "worse" than severe assault or drug dealing however.

My worry is that this club and it's supporters are becoming very closed off. It has been for the past decade of me attending anyway. If you don't agree with the majority there you're not very welcome at Cappielow without folk jumping down your throat. This Lithgow situation being one of those things.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

His actions over a decade ago aren't really for us to worry about though. The endless tail wagging over this is OTT

Okay the precedence has now been set, what should be our next move?

Should we go after Graham Rix and James Torbett as our new coaches, since we now recruit sex offenders and their crimes no longer matter (at least in your eyes) because they happened a long time ago?

Considering you have never been shy in voicing your opinions about the numerous paedophiles at Celtic over the years, i'm surprised at you being so comfortable with Morton having a sex offender in our ranks.  

Regardless of his talents, he's not the next Paolo Maldini, he's a championship level jobber at best and he'll be off to Falkirk or Kelty Hearts at the first opportunity for an extra £20 a week, so he's not worth sacrificing our principles over.  Its the wrong place for him.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, ChampTon said:

Since Lithgow came through the door we've had members here turning into the local "beast hunters".

"But especially under community ownership" seems to be thrown around a lot too. The club have hired some horrible bastards down the years and some clubs still do, even in the league above us! I understand that Lithgow's crimes may be "worse" than severe assault or drug dealing however.

My worry is that this club and it's supporters are becoming very closed off. It has been for the past decade of me attending anyway. If you don't agree with the majority there you're not very welcome at Cappielow without folk jumping down your throat. This Lithgow situation being one of those things.

This is well over the top. Given that the club doesn't think it's a big deal, MCT doesn't think it's a big deal, and the only time anyone's made a deal of it at games they were making light of Lithgow's past, there just isn't this big anti-Lithgow cabal making people unwelcome at Cappielow.

You can think the discussion here is moribund or excessive or whatever but it absolutely hasn't bled through to Cappielow at all. Quite the opposite.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, LargsTON said:

You seem like a right fanny.  The type of fan who'll clap the club I love into its grave.  

At least I only seem like one! For a fan who "loves" the club, I've not witnessed much love from you towards them, .....just absolute pish!! 

Edited by helensburghton

8 hours ago, capitanus said:

Okay the precedence has now been set, what should be our next move?

Should we go after Graham Rix and James Torbett as our new coaches, since we now recruit sex offenders and their crimes no longer matter (at least in your eyes) because they happened a long time ago?

Considering you have never been shy in voicing your opinions about the numerous paedophiles at Celtic over the years, i'm surprised at you being so comfortable with Morton having a sex offender in our ranks.  

Regardless of his talents, he's not the next Paolo Maldini, he's a championship level jobber at best and he'll be off to Falkirk or Kelty Hearts at the first opportunity for an extra £20 a week, so he's not worth sacrificing our principles over.  Its the wrong place for him.

You're comparing apples with organges here and I suspect you know that but would rather continue the tail wagging.

The celtic stuff is hardly comparable. 

• Upvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

8 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

I'm not going to try to argue with anyone with differing views on the signing itself, because I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and people have different thresholds of what they'll tolerate.

Some people couldn't care less about the past of players and are solely concerned with their ability as footballers, some people expect footballers to be role models and never want to see people with past convictions (either of a certain nature or at all) at their club. Most people probably sit somewhere in between that where they feel the rehabilitation and remorse argument is valid in some cases but not in others; eg I think the rehabilitation argument can be applied to Lithgow, but if Morton were to sign David Goodwillie I wouldn't set foot in Cappielow again until him and everyone involved in approving the signing was gone.

Therefore, considering that there's no right or wrong answer here, then just as I'm not going to tell you you're somehow in the wrong to not be concerned by Lithgow, I think your "I personally don't care and want to move on so anyone who does care is just attention seeking" take is absolutely ridiculous.

In any case you're missing the whole point here, which isn't about whether the signing was right or wrong but how the club handled it. Regardless of whether anyone personally has an issue with the signing or not themselves, the fact is that several fans did, some of them MCT members who the board of both MCT and GMFC are ultimately supposed to be accountable to. The club could have addressed those concerns at the time of the signing - the reaction of fans was after all entirely predictable - or in the days immediately following it when they did get that reaction.

If they'd simply put a brief statement out at the time no one would still be asking questions about it now. No one would have had to like the justification given and some fans might still have been unhappy, but the club would have addressed the matter by giving an explanation which people would have been free to take or leave. Having stated their logic about rehabilitation, contrition, second chances and whatever else, no one could argue that the club was ignoring the views of fans (the same fans whose funding is the sole reason this board is in place) or just running away from the issue.

Instead we got total silence, which created exactly the impression that the board don't give a toss about the views of fans and would rather everyone just pays their money then shuts up and eats their cereal. That's an appalling impression to create at the start of fan ownership when the board are only there because fans have put them there. The feeling they were running away from the issue was only exacerbated by the response to some fans singing a song glorifying Lithgow's crime at Firhill, when they took the frankly cowardly step of having MCT publish a statement condemning it but no official club statement.

Their complete refusal to address the issue on any occasion they've had the chance is being taken as indicative of their attitude to the fanbase and MCT membership in general. That's the reason people are still asking about it, and with yet another opportunity to address it they have once again failed to do so.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'm not going to try to argue with anyone with differing views on the signing itself, because I don't think there is a right or wrong answer and people have different thresholds of what they'll tolerate.

Some people couldn't care less about the past of players and are solely concerned with their ability as footballers, some people expect footballers to be role models and never want to see people with past convictions (either of a certain nature or at all) at their club. Most people probably sit somewhere in between that where they feel the rehabilitation and remorse argument is valid in some cases but not in others; eg I think the rehabilitation argument can be applied to Lithgow, but if Morton were to sign David Goodwillie I wouldn't set foot in Cappielow again until him and everyone involved in approving the signing was gone.

Therefore, considering that there's no right or wrong answer here, then just as I'm not going to tell you you're somehow in the wrong to not be concerned by Lithgow, I think your "I personally don't care and want to move on so anyone who does care is just attention seeking" take is absolutely ridiculous.

In any case you're missing the whole point here, which isn't about whether the signing was right or wrong but how the club handled it. Regardless of whether anyone personally has an issue with the signing or not themselves, the fact is that several fans did, some of them MCT members who the board of both MCT and GMFC are ultimately supposed to be accountable to. The club could have addressed those concerns at the time of the signing - the reaction of fans was after all entirely predictable - or in the days immediately following it when they did get that reaction.

If they'd simply put a brief statement out at the time no one would still be asking questions about it now. No one would have had to like the justification given and some fans might still have been unhappy, but the club would have addressed the matter by giving an explanation which people would have been free to take or leave. Having stated their logic about rehabilitation, contrition, second chances and whatever else, no one could argue that the club was ignoring the views of fans (the same fans whose funding is the sole reason this board is in place) or just running away from the issue.

Instead we got total silence, which created exactly the impression that the board don't give a toss about the views of fans and would rather everyone just pays their money then shuts up and eats their cereal. That's an appalling impression to create at the start of fan ownership when the board are only there because fans have put them there. The feeling they were running away from the issue was only exacerbated by the response to some fans singing a song glorifying Lithgow's crime at Firhill, when they took the frankly cowardly step of having MCT publish a statement condemning it but no official club statement.

Their complete refusal to address the issue on any occasion they've had the chance is being taken as indicative of their attitude to the fanbase and MCT membership in general. That's the reason people are still asking about it, and with yet another opportunity to address it they have once again failed to do so.

I've said countless times on this thread or another that it could and should have been handled better but we're now in November and folk are still gripping onto it for dear life.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

TIME FOR CHANGE!

For an organisation intending to move on from the past MCT continue to operate much as before under the Raes. The promised communication and transparency appear to be only on their terms and the understanding no-one has the temerity to ask any difficult or unwanted questions. The decision-making process behind the Lithgow issue and the two-year 'stability' management contracts could and should have been dealt with so much better. Putting your head in the sand is not an effective strategy.

MCT rightly gained credit for buying out the Raes but much like previous fan involvement in the club it appears to be turning in on itself. I never bought in to MCT but do pay the monthly sums for my two boys. The intention was to join through the positive actions of MCT but, to date, I am not persuaded rather leaning towards stopping the contributions. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

You're comparing apples with organges here and I suspect you know that but would rather continue the tail wagging.

The celtic stuff is hardly comparable. 

Why isn't it?  They are all sex offenders who should be nowhere near football clubs.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

2 hours ago, HamCam said:

For an organisation intending to move on from the past MCT continue to operate much as before under the Raes. The promised communication and transparency appear to be only on their terms and the understanding no-one has the temerity to ask any difficult or unwanted questions. The decision-making process behind the Lithgow issue and the two-year 'stability' management contracts could and should have been dealt with so much better. Putting your head in the sand is not an effective strategy.

MCT rightly gained credit for buying out the Raes but much like previous fan involvement in the club it appears to be turning in on itself. I never bought in to MCT but do pay the monthly sums for my two boys. The intention was to join through the positive actions of MCT but, to date, I am not persuaded rather leaning towards stopping the contributions. 

In all fairness to the Raes, during their time at Morton they had the player in question on trial however they passed on him whenever they seen that it would have been an objectionable signing to the majority of the supporters at the time, who were cognizant of his then recent wrongdoings.

*insert signature here*

What do people want this The Rangers-Esque statement to say? 

"sorry we've hired someone convicted of sexual misbehaviour but he's moved on"?

I genuinely don't believe any sort of statement would be acceptable for those awaiting one. It would just be there for folk to nitpick at and be even more furious about, 5 months later.

I'm no supporter of MCT, I haven't pledged yet and won't until I see encouraging signs of improvement. There are more problematic matters currently for MCT than the echo chamber that surrounds this once proud club.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

46 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

What do people want this The Rangers-Esque statement to say? 

"sorry we've hired someone convicted of sexual misbehaviour but he's moved on"?

I genuinely don't believe any sort of statement would be acceptable for those awaiting one. It would just be there for folk to nitpick at and be even more furious about, 5 months later.

I'm no supporter of MCT, I haven't pledged yet and won't until I see encouraging signs of improvement. There are more problematic matters currently for MCT than the echo chamber that surrounds this once proud club.

Pretty much, aye. And if people chose not to accept it, that's their right. If people chose to keep bringing it up after, I'd roll my eyes at that and think it was over the top.

EOho8Pw.png

Maybe they didn't for the players sake? People change with age and maturity; maybe he just wants to get on with his life having to live with actions but having rehabilitated and Morton opted not to drag it out once again?

We all know what he did and it's pretty obvious why we signed him. It would be a token gesture statement when everyone knows exactly why he was signed. 

Interestingly, i don't recall mass outrage when we signed a convicted stalker with a 2 year stint at climbing drain pipes to spy on his victims. Ok, its not a sex offence as such, but it's up there with creepy and abhorrent behaviour. He was afforded a second chance. Maybe because he was a good (or better) player? What if the person he was spying on was naked? That's could be considered a sex crime of sorts. Maybe harassment.

TIME FOR CHANGE!