Morton Club Together Updates - Page 99 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

6 hours ago, CM48 said:

Frustrating as it is for the team on the park to have been pish for what seems like forever there's a lot of people on here who seem convinced that changing the manager / new board / everything / really would fix it. Let's say we do go looking for a director of football who do we get? Someone who's got a lot of experience and managed fairly successfully at a higher level, perhaps keeping a small team in the top flight? Like Gary Holt? Or maybe even all the way to international level, like Craig Levein? What would Hearts and Falkirk fans opinions be on them? Duffy? Worked so well at Ayr that Hoppy's already away and Jim's having to take the team.

Also, if we get rid of the new board, who's taking that on? Does anyone on here know of people with footballing backgrounds and board level experience knocking on the doors at Cappielow and asking to join in? Especially when your reward is people who are unwilling or unable to do it themselves telling you where you're going wrong and how to fix it? Not saying you shouldn't expect criticism, just saying who wants that in their life? The Q+A wasn't great (being kind) but at least they tried something. If they all chucked it tomorrow then...I genuinely don't know what would happen.

I listened to Cornetto there, which I enjoy, but thought it was a bit funny that they were handing out pelters left right and centre about various inept performances at the club in between silences from 1 of only 3 contributors. I mean how hard is it to check that 33% of your podcast is missing before telling the world it's a "must listen"? 

I've done some work for the club over the last few years on a voluntary basis and had dealings with 2 chief execs and the new general manager as well as Crawford and a few of the new MCT team now on the board and Gus. None of them (ok, maybe one) seemed concerned about themselves over what was good for the club.

Everyone seems to think that relegation is the apocalypse. Of course I don't want us to go down, but what's more important is that there's always a club there to support and I can't help thinking the more we hound out people who are willing to actually try and take things on on behalf of the supporters, the worse the caliber of those who then take over will be. Again, Cornetto were already coming out with "At least when the Raes were there..." stuff this week. Do I think Dean and co. should go because of the silent gaps and that I don't agree with some of their content? Absolutely not, it's obvious they're passionate about the club and that's both brilliant and the most important thing by a mile. It's why I listen and enjoy it so much.

And again, not saying it's fun being pish and 2nd bottom of the league, but surely the fact the new directors and staff in place are passionate enough about the club to put the time in to get involved in running it all is the most important thing? MCT getting the amount of people to sign up is a brilliant achievement. Lessons on how to not be so bad at answering fans questions will have be learnt along the way as I don't see who or what the alternative is? Saudis? Easdales? Anyone on here?

It might be over 20 years ago now but since liquidation I just want the club to always be there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's enjoyed great times (and shite) following Morton in every league they've played in since I was a kid. And despite now many fans unease and disappointment in the running of the club this season, along with results on the park, I still feel the club won't go down the toilet and I'll always be able to and watch a Morton team playing at Cappielow. And I know it's a (very) long shot, but we could be 6th by Saturday evening. (Too much?)

You do realise that these volunteers have so far driven away Dean, Gerry McGeehan and Alan Coyle from the MCT Leadership team due to their rank incompetence/behaviour/attitude towards the support? Perhaps it would be worthwhile doing a bit of research into why there’s such discontent with goings on in the boardroom at Cappielow before trying to attack fans for having legitimate concerns?

And Morton were never liquidated. This century, the only Scottish League clubs that fate has befallen were Airdrieonians, Gretna and Rangers.

On a positive note, I’m looking forward to the next six months without being subjected your inane ramblings on here.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CM48 said:

I listened to Cornetto there, which I enjoy, but thought it was a bit funny that they were handing out pelters left right and centre about various inept performances at the club in between silences from 1 of only 3 contributors. I mean how hard is it to check that 33% of your podcast is missing before telling the world it's a "must listen"?

Thanks for flagging this.

I posted the podcast late on Monday night after a few hours trying to salvage the podcast, the audio editing software I used produced the podcast with no issues, I then discovered the technical glitch and fixed it on Tuesday morning. The fixed sound file has now been uploaded if you wish to listen to it in its entirety. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CM48 said:

Also, if we get rid of the new board, who's taking that on? Does anyone on here know of people with footballing backgrounds and board level experience knocking on the doors at Cappielow and asking to join in? Especially when your reward is people who are unwilling or unable to do it themselves telling you where you're going wrong and how to fix it? Not saying you shouldn't expect criticism, just saying who wants that in their life? The Q+A wasn't great (being kind) but at least they tried something. If they all chucked it tomorrow then...I genuinely don't know what would happen.

I can't help thinking the more we hound out people who are willing to actually try and take things on on behalf of the supporters, the worse the caliber of those who then take over will be.

Who's doing this though? Admittedly in my post I referenced issues which I thought could make the position of GMFC board members untenable and be a resignation matter, but that was in the hypothetical scenario that a budget has been agreed which somehow makes it financially impossible to sack a manager regardless of their performance; I don't believe that's actually the case.

I'm not calling for the mass resignations of board members or calling for any single member to go, and I'm not seeing anyone else doing that. While emotions are understandably running high, I've genuinely not seen or heard anything in response to the Q&A which goes beyond constructive criticism. There's no abuse being given out and there's no attempt to hound any individuals off the board as far as I can see.

People are discussing this and being critical where they see mistakes or potential issues not because they have a desire to see MCT fail or want to clear the decks and start from scratch every single time any mistake is made, but precisely because they want it to work. Pointing out those mistakes and asking questions of MCT about the process which led to them isn't about a witch hunt to find out who's responsible and drive them out of Cappielow forever. It's about learning from the mistakes and understanding why they've happened so they aren't repeated and the club can be in a better position as a result.

• Upvote 2

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

9 hours ago, CM48 said:

1) Also, if we get rid of the new board, who's taking that on? Does anyone on here know of people with footballing backgrounds and board level experience knocking on the doors at Cappielow and asking to join in? Especially when your reward is people who are unwilling or unable to do it themselves telling you where you're going wrong and how to fix it? Not saying you shouldn't expect criticism, just saying who wants that in their life? The Q+A wasn't great (being kind) but at least they tried something. If they all chucked it tomorrow then...I genuinely don't know what would happen.

2) And again, not saying it's fun being pish and 2nd bottom of the league, but surely the fact the new directors and staff in place are passionate enough about the club to put the time in to get involved in running it all is the most important thing? 

3) It might be over 20 years ago now but since liquidation I just want the club to always be there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's enjoyed great times (and shite) following Morton in every league they've played in since I was a kid. And despite now many fans unease and disappointment in the running of the club this season, along with results on the park, I still feel the club won't go down the toilet and I'll always be able to and watch a Morton team playing at Cappielow. And I know it's a (very) long shot, but we could be 6th by Saturday evening. (Too much?)

1) There were plenty of external people willing to take on the role of sitting on the GMFC board before. Some of the MCT leadership also came out of the woodwork sharpish once a spot in the comfy seats and bragging rights at the golf club appeared on the horizon. There was no shortage of candidates for the last election so the idea that only the current leadership group would possibly want to do the job is not supported by any facts. 

As for the 'what football experience do you have' - that's why a chief criticism of the current GMFC/MCT mindmerge is 'not bringing in relevant expertise for football affairs'. None of the current leadership team have any credible football experience either: which is not an issue, if you understand how to delegate authority to someone who does. Letting the accountants and lawyers decide who gets to be the manager has already driven us into a completely avoidable ditch after about 0.3 seconds in the hotseat.

Learn lessons or be replaced. That's how accountability and fan ownership should work. 

2) John Hughes' levels of pashun are not alone sufficient to qualify someone to run a professional football team. This is not a social club. 

3) The huge flaw with your argument is that the Scottish national leagues are no longer a closed shop. Morton can not bump around shamefully at the bottom of a pile of utter permadiddy outfits as the club did in the early 1960s. If it does so again, it will now find itself in the Lowland and ultimately West of Scotland leagues playing 'Broomhill' and 'Caledonian Braves' at the equivalent of Parklea every other week. Which would mean the death of any meaningful football club in this community. 

Where I agree with your argument is that we should not be as obsessed as we have been recently about avoiding relegation and preserving this nick of a  'Championship status'. Circling the drain and being too afraid to make meaningful change is the quickest way to killing enthusiasm for this fan ownership idea. A spell in the league below is in my view essential to rebuilding and restructuring on a sounder footing than this ad hoc, just get 40 points and we're fine approach, but that restructure still needs to happen. It is a case of adapt or die now in SPFL football. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

View this email in your browser
ac9456b9-4981-48c4-945e-41bb6c9438b5.png

Morton Club Together director, Aidan Tracey, has tendered his resignation from the board.

Current personal and family circumstances are taking up a considerable amount of his time, which sees him unable to commit the time he would like to as an MCT director to help move Morton forward and drive MCT into our new era as club owners. 

Aidan provided the following for MCT members:

Since becoming an MCT director I’ve come to realise that the level of commitment this position requires is something that I’m not able to commit to. I’d like to do it to the best of my ability but I know, with my current circumstances, I’m not able to do that.

I am in genuine awe of what has been achieved to date and want to thank the current and past directors for the commitment you’ve all put in over the past few years. I’m also incredibly grateful to those that nominated and voted for me to become an MCT director and hope they understand why I’m not able to continue in the role. 

I remain fully behind MCT, and community ownership for Greenock Morton Football Club, and I can’t encourage members enough to continue to engage with your thoughts and questions.

We are committed to providing opportunities for our members to contribute to our long-term vision of being regarded as the benchmark example of community ownership. As such, despite our articles not requiring us to do so, we will now be seeking to appoint a new director in place of Aidan. 

Following the same format as our recent AGM, we are now inviting MCT members to put themselves forward for nomination, with voting taking place at an EGM, which we will confirm a date for in due course. 

Prospective board members are required by our articles to have 12 MCT members nominate them to become a director. 

If you would like to put yourself forward as an MCT director, please email business@mortonclubtogether.co.uk and advise individuals who will be nominating you that they are required to email the same address to confirm their nomination of you as a candidate, with the vote taking place at the EGM. 

The deadline for nominees and for member nominations to be received is two weeks today, Thursday the 18th of November, 2021. 

This is your chance to play an active role in the future of Morton Club Together and Greenock Morton Football Club. If you feel you have the time, commitment, desire and skills to contribute and move Morton forward then it’s time for you to step forward. 

The Morton Club Together board wishes to place on record their sincere thanks to Aidan for his hard work as a member of our wider team and then subsequently his time as a director. We hope all members will do the same, while also respecting Aidan’s privacy at this time. 

Thanks,

MCT Board

We've just sent an email update to our members to let them know that unfortunately Aidan Tracey has stepped down from the MCT board. 

Aidan's family circumstances have changed in recent weeks and as such he's not been able to dedicate the time to MCT that he originally thought he was able to, and wanted to, do. We're sure you'll respect his privacy and wish him well. He remains a big supporter of MCT and if his family circumstances change again in future he'll be back involved in our wider team. 

Our articles state that we don't need to replace Aidan on the board, but we want to. That process will be similar to what we just recently went through for the AGM, where the opportunity is open for any of our members to put themselves forward to become a board member, and they must be supported by nominations from 12 MCT members. The candidates will then be put forward to a vote at an EGM, where members in attendance will vote their preferred option onto the board.

Members who wish to put themselves forward, and the supporting nominations from fellow members, can email business@mortonclubtogether.co.uk to indicate their interest.

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

1) There were plenty of external people willing to take on the role of sitting on the GMFC board before. Some of the MCT leadership also came out of the woodwork sharpish once a spot in the comfy seats and bragging rights at the golf club appeared on the horizon. There was no shortage of candidates for the last election so the idea that only the current leadership group would possibly want to do the job is not supported by any facts. 

As for the 'what football experience do you have' - that's why a chief criticism of the current GMFC/MCT mindmerge is 'not bringing in relevant expertise for football affairs'. None of the current leadership team have any credible football experience either: which is not an issue, if you understand how to delegate authority to someone who does. Letting the accountants and lawyers decide who gets to be the manager has already driven us into a completely avoidable ditch after about 0.3 seconds in the hotseat.

Learn lessons or be replaced. That's how accountability and fan ownership should work. 

2) John Hughes' levels of pashun are not alone sufficient to qualify someone to run a professional football team. This is not a social club. 

3) The huge flaw with your argument is that the Scottish national leagues are no longer a closed shop. Morton can not bump around shamefully at the bottom of a pile of utter permadiddy outfits as the club did in the early 1960s. If it does so again, it will now find itself in the Lowland and ultimately West of Scotland leagues playing 'Broomhill' and 'Caledonian Braves' at the equivalent of Parklea every other week. Which would mean the death of any meaningful football club in this community. 

Where I agree with your argument is that we should not be as obsessed as we have been recently about avoiding relegation and preserving this nick of a  'Championship status'. Circling the drain and being too afraid to make meaningful change is the quickest way to killing enthusiasm for this fan ownership idea. A spell in the league below is in my view essential to rebuilding and restructuring on a sounder footing than this ad hoc, just get 40 points and we're fine approach, but that restructure still needs to happen. It is a case of adapt or die now in SPFL football. 

I agree with this, but why do we have to wait until we are relegated to do the rebuilding and restructuring. Surely we can do both whether we manage to stay up or not?

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

5 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

I agree with this, but why do we have to wait until we are relegated to do the rebuilding and restructuring. Surely we can do both whether we manage to stay up or not?

We've literally just witnessed a summer in which the club gave out both fresh and multi-year deals all round, off the back of the 'success' of staying in the league through the play-offs. The abject failure that led to us competing in the play-offs was completely overlooked: if we end up finishing 8th, the club will be wanting a town hall reception. 

The incentives are not there for the people running GMFC to do anything other than try to kick the can down the road for another year, point to 'aye but the Championship prize money!' and hope that the manager will do them a slightly less shite turn with the same setup. Only relegation will deliver the reality check needed to force the long overdue rethink of how this football club should operate. 

* The critical fact that the vast majority of the clubs you are directly competing against get access to more prize money after finishing higher in the league the previous season is never taken into account. Raith for example enjoyed well over a £100k headstart on GMFC in building their 21-22 squad. 

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

21 hours ago, CM48 said:

Frustrating as it is for the team on the park to have been pish for what seems like forever there's a lot of people on here who seem convinced that changing the manager / new board / everything / really would fix it. Let's say we do go looking for a director of football who do we get? Someone who's got a lot of experience and managed fairly successfully at a higher level, perhaps keeping a small team in the top flight? Like Gary Holt? Or maybe even all the way to international level, like Craig Levein? What would Hearts and Falkirk fans opinions be on them? Duffy? Worked so well at Ayr that Hoppy's already away and Jim's having to take the team.

I've done some work for the club over the last few years on a voluntary basis and had dealings with 2 chief execs and the new general manager as well as Crawford and a few of the new MCT team now on the board and Gus. None of them (ok, maybe one) seemed concerned about themselves over what was good for the club.

Everyone seems to think that relegation is the apocalypse. Of course I don't want us to go down, but what's more important is that there's always a club there to support and I can't help thinking the more we hound out people who are willing to actually try and take things on on behalf of the supporters, the worse the caliber of those who then take over will be. Again, Cornetto were already coming out with "At least when the Raes were there..." stuff this week. Do I think Dean and co. should go because of the silent gaps and that I don't agree with some of their content? Absolutely not, it's obvious they're passionate about the club and that's both brilliant and the most important thing by a mile. It's why I listen and enjoy it so much.

And again, not saying it's fun being pish and 2nd bottom of the league, but surely the fact the new directors and staff in place are passionate enough about the club to put the time in to get involved in running it all is the most important thing? MCT getting the amount of people to sign up is a brilliant achievement. Lessons on how to not be so bad at answering fans questions will have be learnt along the way as I don't see who or what the alternative is? Saudis? Easdales? Anyone on here?

It might be over 20 years ago now but since liquidation I just want the club to always be there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's enjoyed great times (and shite) following Morton in every league they've played in since I was a kid. And despite now many fans unease and disappointment in the running of the club this season, along with results on the park, I still feel the club won't go down the toilet and I'll always be able to and watch a Morton team playing at Cappielow. And I know it's a (very) long shot, but we could be 6th by Saturday evening. (Too much?)

Too long, didnt read.

Next.

*insert signature here*

Wasn’t sure which thread to mention this in, but those Easdale chaps are trying to buy Derby County,

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Wasn’t sure which thread to mention this in, but those Easdale chaps are trying to buy Derby County,

Did make an offer to take Morton off of Crawford Rae's hands but wanted Golden Casket as part of the deal.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:35 PM, vikingTON said:

We've literally just witnessed a summer in which the club gave out both fresh and multi-year deals all round, off the back of the 'success' of staying in the league through the play-offs. The abject failure that led to us competing in the play-offs was completely overlooked: if we end up finishing 8th, the club will be wanting a town hall reception. 

The incentives are not there for the people running GMFC to do anything other than try to kick the can down the road for another year, point to 'aye but the Championship prize money!' and hope that the manager will do them a slightly less shite turn with the same setup. Only relegation will deliver the reality check needed to force the long overdue rethink of how this football club should operate. 

* The critical fact that the vast majority of the clubs you are directly competing against get access to more prize money after finishing higher in the league the previous season is never taken into account. Raith for example enjoyed well over a £100k headstart on GMFC in building their 21-22 squad. 

Don't agree, there are people within MCT who know we need big changes but like all change it takes time, effort and commitment.

3 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Don't agree, there are people within MCT who know we need big changes but like all change it takes time, effort and commitment.

Such as?

The time to commit to change was this summer - they went for 'stability' instead. There has been zero discussion from anyone in a leadership capacity within MCT about whether insisting on full-time contracts might be a useless model. There's also absolutely nothing to suggest that the GMFC board - which is not the same as MCT - recognises any such need for a fundamental rethink, so long as 'survival' and 'Championship prize money' are preserved.

Only relegation can force a reckoning with a first team structure that isn't working. 

Edited by vikingTON

On 11/8/2021 at 6:04 PM, Admin said:

Submit any questions you have for the MCT directors below, you can also PM the Admin account or e-mail them to TheMortonForum@gmail.com.

I logged on with a view to sending across a question for the 'MCT Directors', but i appreciate that i may be too late.

The question was whether they feel that Morton have set a very dangerous precedent by recruiting a convicted sex offender, and whether it is worth abandoning your principles for a couple of seasons service from someone that may be considered a good player, but still remains a sex offender.

Also, the club are recruiting someone for a Child Protection/Safeguarding role.  Surely signing a convicted sex offender sends out the message that the club DO NOT take issues such as these seriously, and value some short term results for the first team over important matters such as the safety and welfare of youngsters entrusted into their care.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

This pretty much sums up my concerns about the last Q&A organised by the SLO.

“We’ll answer your questions, but only if it’s on our terms.”

Let’s not kid ourselves, this isn’t about how long they’re going to persist with Gus McPherson, and they’ll continue to dodge the question about why they signed a convicted sex offender.

Morton’s concerns about commenting on an individual employee really don’t have precedence over the fans’ and community’s over the dangers that said employee could potentially pose.