Morton Club Together Updates - Page 98 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

On 10/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Sadly starting to come round to that way of thinking myself. I can't stop myself from wondering what the other offer that Crawford knocked back in favour of MCT was, and if they'd still be interested.

Enter thu Eeeeeeeeze-dales. 

***Everyone gasps in awe****

*insert signature here*

41 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Enter thu Eeeeeeeeze-dales. 

***Everyone gasps in awe****

You know, it's a bit rich for you and others to come out with this, having also tried to shoot down fan ownership since the beginning.

I can understand why people fear that fan ownership will fail and I'd be more than happy with having private investors contributing something to the setup as well. I can also see why people might want to jump straight to another private owner instead. Given our experience of the Raes, I don't agree with that choice. 

What sort of ownership model do you want exactly, and who is likely to provide it? 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 hours ago, vikingTON said:

1) Of course the success of MCT had a lot to do with the interest of the owner to offload the club. In order for the club to be handed over to the fans though, a credible umbrella group for the fans had to be created though. The completely discredited Supporters Trust was never going to fulfil that requirement.

MCT didn't actually require 'commercial ingenuity' to do that. Instead, they needed to identify a credible long-term goal (securing a significant fan stake in and if possible, fan ownership of the club) that could attract a large portion of the fanbase's support. Meanwhile you were deriding it as an "everybudy chips in munny" scheme, when in reality the exchange of contributions for debt reduction and a stake in the club served as the template for the final takeover deal. 

2) I share many of your complaints about the decisions currently being made, as well as the opaque nature of the leadership and the club/MCT buckpassing. That requires change but there's no point throwing the baby out with the bathwater here. All directors should be up for selection on a regular basis - their decisions and voting record should be as transparent as possible. And the fanbase will put pressure on the club outside of this process regardless. 

I'm not sure what alternative model of 'fan ownership' - at a credible football club, not a 'you pick the team' Walter Mitty club - provides more than that degree of scrutiny on an everyday basis. 

1) I think that your version of events is a tad more than revisionist, to say the least.  Yes, as i said before, that I was probably more critical than most about MCT, and I did use phrases like 'harebrained', 'back of fag packet idea' and 'ivry buddy chips in munny' to describe the scheme, and as I said previously I don't have any regrets about this.  You were also sceptical about it too, I recall you saying something along the lines of 'being well intentioned doesnt give you a free pass with £x00k of supporters money' and you were also vocal about the initial MCT proposal served maintaining the status quo rather than bringing about regime change.  The truth is there was no blueprint when Graham McLennan was hawking himself and his idea around all of those media outlets in a blaze of self publicity, a lot of the early ramblings from him amounted exactly to my summation.

A lot of the early press reports seemed very sketchy in their understanding of what the proposed scheme was, how it was going to work, a lot of the former players wheeled out to give their ringing endorsements didn't seem to understand it either but nonetheless hundreds signed up and gave their bank details and pledges - and it was all because they wanted to help the club.   Its worth stating at this juncture that not many, if any, amongst the support knew those responsible for setting up MCT before Graham McLennan announced his idea, yet hundreds trusted him with their bank details - including yourself.  Next time you want to have a chuckle about Hamilton and the Nigerian scammers, just think of this.

GMST was a toxic organisation which self imploded as a result of personalities, egos, bad leadership and the fallout of the Stars of 79 night.  And it was probably just as well it did, because in their rush to get rid of the club in the advent of the pandemic, if there was no MCT around then the lesser Raes could have just as easily passed the baton onto them and the outcome could have been far worse than what we've got today. 

A good friend of ours persuaded me to give MCT a fair chance and in deference to him I agreed.  It is also worth noting that I was told by more than one person involved in MCT at the time who said that the points I made in my criticism were all valid.  

2)  I'm really not too worried as much as others about things like Gus McPherson being in charge, how the communications are being run, the website etc. however the one thing that MCT are failing time and time again is the elephant in the room - the club have signed a convicted sex offender and they are refusing to acknowledge it.  Someone like that should be nowhere near our club, regardless of how good/bad a player he may be.   This doesn't sit right with many in our support and its not going to go away any time soon.  There was no questions asked or aswered about it at the farcical Q and A, why was that?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

7 hours ago, capitanus said:

2)  I'm really not too worried as much as others about things like Gus McPherson being in charge, how the communications are being run, the website etc. however the one thing that MCT are failing time and time again is the elephant in the room - the club have signed a convicted sex offender and they are refusing to acknowledge it.  Someone like that should be nowhere near our club, regardless of how good/bad a player he may be.   This doesn't sit right with many in our support and its not going to go away any time soon.  There was no questions asked or aswered about it at the farcical Q and A, why was that?

I know of at least one person who submitted a question related to the Lithgow signing.

• Upvote 2

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

7 hours ago, capitanus said:

1) 

GMST was a toxic organisation which self imploded as a result of personalities, egos, bad leadership and the fallout of the Stars of 79 night.  And it was probably just as well it did, because in their rush to get rid of the club in the advent of the pandemic, if there was no MCT around then the lesser Raes could have just as easily passed the baton onto them and the outcome could have been far worse than what we've got today. 

1) Well no they couldn't, because without a substantial funding base from the membership, there would not have been the opportunity for the Raes to hand over the club to a fan ownership group. The viability of an umbrella fan group was an essential precondition to a takeover bid: GMST did not have this. 

If we had followed your cynicism above all else attitude, then we'd actually have had the GMST gormlessly 'representing' the fans from the sidelines, as GC flogged the club to the highest private bidder. And then we'd have absolutely no say in what happens to the club at all. 

2) It's only the 'elephant in the room' to you and a section of the fanbase. There are many others in the fanbase who believe that the elephant in the room is in fact the useless manager, who you preach unlimited respect for based on his performance at this level fifteen years ago. So when it comes to the failures of MCT, there are as many divergent views on that topic as any other within the fanbase. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, MCT Team said:

This is in the process of being changed. 

Interested to know if the feedback above, and elsewhere, RE. The Q&A, or lack of, is being monitored and taken onboard. Youll note this isn't just a few folk on a dark corner of the Internet disappointed with the Q&A, its a mass discontent. Since it went live it has largely been lambasted. I'm sure thats disappointing for MCT. What plans are in place to address a clear fraction between MCT and the fans?

TIME FOR CHANGE!

18 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Interested to know if the feedback above, and elsewhere, RE. The Q&A, or lack of, is being monitored and taken onboard. Youll note this isn't just a few folk on a dark corner of the Internet disappointed with the Q&A, its a mass discontent. Since it went live it has largely been lambasted. I'm sure thats disappointing for MCT. What plans are in place to address a clear fraction between MCT and the fans?

Hi there, since I was appointed onto the MCT board and started to post regularly on the forums to respond to fans I’ve said that everything said on here is seen, taken into account and forwarded onto the relevant parties, whether MCT board or club board. That will always continue, no matter the topic. It’s difficult to keep up at times and reply to everything but please rest assured it’s being seen and raised. 

On another point, we’ve seen the reaction since the club board Q&A and we’re already working on putting plans in place to have in-person events to be able to meet fans. We’ll share details on those when they’re finalised. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, MCT Team said:

Hi there, since I was appointed onto the MCT board and started to post regularly on the forums to respond to fans I’ve said that everything said on here is seen, taken into account and forwarded onto the relevant parties, whether MCT board or club board. That will always continue, no matter the topic. It’s difficult to keep up at times and reply to everything but please rest assured it’s being seen and raised. 

On another point, we’ve seen the reaction since the club board Q&A and we’re already working on putting plans in place to have in-person events to be able to meet fans. We’ll share details on those when they’re finalised. 

Is that why you have failed to acknowledge the fact that there is a sizeable element of the support dont want our football club to be associated with a convicted sex offender?

It wont go away, regardless of whether or not you think i'm merely a trouble-maker or whether Mr Ritchie has warned you not to reply to me.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

9 hours ago, Toby said:

I’m surprised to see no mention of the decision not to appoint a chairman to the board, but to take turns in who has the deciding vote at boardroom level- what an absolute farce.

I’ve made it clear in the last few months that I’m concerned about the lack of accountability in the running of the club, and this policy goes no way in easing those concerns. A display of leadership and a preparation to be held individually accountable when things go to shit would go some way to easing those concerns, but am I surprised by the musical chairs policy? Nope, not in the slightest. This strikes me as the board operating a protection racket to look after themselves. The younger guys have something nice for a CV and the old guard can tell their acquaintances up the golf club/bowling club/lodge that they’re the director of a football club to impress them, whilst not actually having to face up to the rank and file- unless of course the questions are collated and vetted by the SLO, and the tricky ones filed away in the nearest bin.

It is of course no surprise that the person I believe to be the main organ grinder; Mr. Ritchie, was nowhere to be seen on the video- the cynic in me would suggest a Warren Hawke-style holiday or sickie from him when the club’s AGM comes around. We’re more likely to see Lord Lucan crossing into the box for Maddie McCann to head in the winner at Hampden in May than we are to get answers off of him.

There’s been a lot of hilarity about the farcical events at Falkirk’s Q&A the other week, but let’s not kid ourselves, Morton’s current board simply would not put themselves in the position to be lambasted by their support the way the Falkirk lot did. Yes, they came out of it looking foolish, but at the moment, our own board are coming across as self-serving cowards who aren’t prepared to take the rough with the smooth. I’m not sure what’s worse.

Dare I say it, as much as they seem to be a club in disarray nowadays, the Falkirk board doesnt come across as anything near as spineless as this current shower in charge at Morton.  I wasnt aware about this 'lack of chairman' fiasco, but it doesnt surprise me.  This lot need emptied, but i've a funny feeling they're going to make it difficult to remove them.

*insert signature here*

14 hours ago, capitanus said:

Dare I say it, as much as they seem to be a club in disarray nowadays, the Falkirk board doesnt come across as anything near as spineless as this current shower in charge at Morton.  I wasnt aware about this 'lack of chairman' fiasco, but it doesnt surprise me.  This lot need emptied, but i've a funny feeling they're going to make it difficult to remove them.

I don’t think I know any of the MCT board members, but already some folk seem to be looking to replace them. I think that might be a bit premature as they have hardly been in post for long. What we as de facto shareholders must have however is regular reporting of what is being decided and why. Annually the board should stand for re-election and anyone who has not contributed anything to the efficient running of the business can be voted out. The club is now in effect owned by about 1000 people, and if it improves things, any one of them should be able to be voted on to the board. We don’t want a self serving clique who make all the decisions and have no accountability - that should have stopped with the departure of the Raes.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Frustrating as it is for the team on the park to have been pish for what seems like forever there's a lot of people on here who seem convinced that changing the manager / new board / everything / really would fix it. Let's say we do go looking for a director of football who do we get? Someone who's got a lot of experience and managed fairly successfully at a higher level, perhaps keeping a small team in the top flight? Like Gary Holt? Or maybe even all the way to international level, like Craig Levein? What would Hearts and Falkirk fans opinions be on them? Duffy? Worked so well at Ayr that Hoppy's already away and Jim's having to take the team.

Also, if we get rid of the new board, who's taking that on? Does anyone on here know of people with footballing backgrounds and board level experience knocking on the doors at Cappielow and asking to join in? Especially when your reward is people who are unwilling or unable to do it themselves telling you where you're going wrong and how to fix it? Not saying you shouldn't expect criticism, just saying who wants that in their life? The Q+A wasn't great (being kind) but at least they tried something. If they all chucked it tomorrow then...I genuinely don't know what would happen.

I listened to Cornetto there, which I enjoy, but thought it was a bit funny that they were handing out pelters left right and centre about various inept performances at the club in between silences from 1 of only 3 contributors. I mean how hard is it to check that 33% of your podcast is missing before telling the world it's a "must listen"? 

I've done some work for the club over the last few years on a voluntary basis and had dealings with 2 chief execs and the new general manager as well as Crawford and a few of the new MCT team now on the board and Gus. None of them (ok, maybe one) seemed concerned about themselves over what was good for the club.

Everyone seems to think that relegation is the apocalypse. Of course I don't want us to go down, but what's more important is that there's always a club there to support and I can't help thinking the more we hound out people who are willing to actually try and take things on on behalf of the supporters, the worse the caliber of those who then take over will be. Again, Cornetto were already coming out with "At least when the Raes were there..." stuff this week. Do I think Dean and co. should go because of the silent gaps and that I don't agree with some of their content? Absolutely not, it's obvious they're passionate about the club and that's both brilliant and the most important thing by a mile. It's why I listen and enjoy it so much.

And again, not saying it's fun being pish and 2nd bottom of the league, but surely the fact the new directors and staff in place are passionate enough about the club to put the time in to get involved in running it all is the most important thing? MCT getting the amount of people to sign up is a brilliant achievement. Lessons on how to not be so bad at answering fans questions will have be learnt along the way as I don't see who or what the alternative is? Saudis? Easdales? Anyone on here?

It might be over 20 years ago now but since liquidation I just want the club to always be there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's enjoyed great times (and shite) following Morton in every league they've played in since I was a kid. And despite now many fans unease and disappointment in the running of the club this season, along with results on the park, I still feel the club won't go down the toilet and I'll always be able to and watch a Morton team playing at Cappielow. And I know it's a (very) long shot, but we could be 6th by Saturday evening. (Too much?)

• Downvote 4