Morton Club Together Updates - Page 88 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

It shouldn't be too hard even for an organisation reliant on volunteers to keep their content current and up to date.  If organisations such as Bowling Clubs or Golf Clubs can do it, then why not a professional football club?

Considering one of the cohorts from the MCT is Graham Barr who is responsible for Media and Communications, this should surely fall under his remit.

Couldn't agree more. This is back to my comment about documented roles and responsibilities which appear to be missing both at MCT and GMFC.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

It's in their rules that two directors stand down every year to keep the board fresh and give more members an opportunity to stand.

Who decides which two directors stand down going forward? Because that's going to be the difference between having genuinely fresh leadership or having a self-preserving clique at the top in any organisation. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On 9/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, LargsTON said:

Here Hayfever, why downvote that?  You one of the MCT failures aye?  Makes sense.

I disagree with your analysis that the scheme is lurching from disaster to disaster because a director resigned. And no I'm not involved with MCT other than being a member.

Edited by hayfever
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Dear members,

A big thank you to those of you that joined us in person and on Zoom for our 2021 AGM on Monday evening. We’re looking to host more events across the next year, not to mention finally getting a date in for our postponed sportsmans dinner that many of you are confirmed to join. 

This week’s update is a summary of the past year of Morton Club Together coupled with some updates from the AGM itself.

The past year has been a successful year overall for Morton Club Together, with several important moments and milestones. Naturally our highlight was on the evening of the 8th of July 2020 when it was announced to members, and the wider public, of the in-principle agreement to transfer the ownership of the club from Golden Casket to MCT.  

The time since has seen MCT play a growing role at the football club, as we looked to gain an understanding of how a professional club is run within the Scottish game.  

Some of our key highlights of the past year include:  

Membership increasing continually and breaking through the 800 barrier – now sitting at 859 which is a fantastic number.

Maintaining and increasing contributions to the club to over £100,000 – again, this is set to be £120,000 over the 2021/22 season, a hugely significant sum.

Selling 240 facemasks resulting in a £700 donation to Belville Community Gardens 

Consulting with members and being able to significantly improve our initial takeover deal to ensure that Cappielow is within the ownership of the club. The strength and volume of engagement from members was crucial in this process – we received over 500 responses during this consultation.  

Making strides towards beginning to change the club culture to embrace aiming for a break even budget and a sustainable future.   

Launching two new strips including our commemorative, sponsorless 1922 cup final kit – sales of these two strips have been positive to date. 

Being on the brink of completing community ownership – while we’d love to say that deal is now completed, we continue to work towards ensuring all boxes are ticked and hope to have positive news soon, until then we will continue to update you weekly.

Supporting the recruitment of the club’s new General Manager, Chris Ross.

The past year has been significantly impacted by Covid as well as some periods of turbulence within the club. We certainly do not think that there could be a more trying time to be involved in learning and ultimately leading the running of a professional football club. Therefore, it’s important to say how incredible your support has been in achieving what we have against an extremely difficult backdrop. As has always been said, MCT’s strength is in its members and over the past year we have had many members help the club through contributions and the selfless devotion of time to ride out this difficult period. It's easy to forget that this is just our third year in existence. We've come a long way but there's still a lot of hard work to go to keep moving Morton forward.

We’re delighted to announce that three new directors have been voted onto the MCT board. Aidan Tracey, Sam Robinson and Chris Samson will work alongside Graham McLennan, Gordon Ritchie and Stewart Farmer to bring new impetus and fresh ideas to drive MCT’s future success. 192 members voted and the results were as follows; Aidan 77.43%, Sam 83.33% and Chris 84.33%. 

We’d also like to take the opportunity to thank Graham Barr and Ivor McCauley for their dedication to MCT over their time as directors, as they step down from the board. Their hard work has helped us get where we are today and we look forward to continuing to work closely with Graham in his place on the club board, and Ivor will continue to be a valued MCT member. 

The other official AGM business on the night was voting on the proposed amendments to MCT's articles. Here's the information on the votes for both.

Add para 4.4 “Shares in Greenock Morton Football Club Ltd, owned or controlled by the Company, may be sold or disposed of at the discretion of the directors of the Company subject to the following restrictions:

a) the approval of a General Meeting is required if the sale would result in the total shareholding in GMFC falling below 75% of the total share capital of GMFC

b) the approval of a General Meeting is required if the sale would result in the total shareholding in GMFC falling below 50% of the total share capital of GMFC.

The proceeds of any sale of shares must be deposited into the funds of the Company.”

Members voted to approve this amendment with 82 voting yes and 2 voting no.

An amendment to article 15.3 to delete “20” and substitute therefor “12”.

Members voted to approve this amendment with 84 voting yes and 2 voting no.

Fans can view our current articles of association here, but note that these will now be amended following the above votes to approve.

We hope that some more stable times are ahead of us and having fans back at games is a huge step towards a normal we recognise. We fully expect the takeover to be completed soon, once all the I’s are dotted and T’s are crossed by the relevant legal advisors, though we are very pleased to say that the main hurdles appear to be cleared.

If you have any questions or queries don't hesitate to get back in touch by replying to this email or sending us one at any time to communications@mortonclubtogether.co.uk

Thank you again for your support and patience. We’ll see you tomorrow at Cappielow for the visit of Raith Rovers.

Thanks,

MCT Board

Thanks for posting the update @Cappiecat 1.2. I'm Chris and I'm hoping to be active on here and make sure we're taking on feedback and insights from across the fanbase. I'm sure some of you will have noticed we've tried to do that in some areas already over the past few months, with the weekly MCT updates being introduced, which came directly from feedback we kept seeing on here.

They'll be more to come from us in the coming weeks as the new MCT board meets for the first time to discuss plans going forward. Your patience around the takeover has been hugely appreciated, it's been frustrating for us too and we're really hopeful it won't be too much longer now. 

• Upvote 2

Well here's one for you, and before I begin, I'm well aware of the finances involved and the impact on the club.

However, let's say we draw one of the Bigot Brothers in a a home cup tie.

I for one am sick and tired of being in MY clubs stadium, supporting MY club and being surrounded by neanderthal arseholes who think it's perfectly acceptable to verbally abuse and, on some occasions, assault home fans for simply supporting their own team.

I always think it's like coming home from work and finding the anti-social neighbours having a party in your living room.

I'd rather stand in the Sinclair St end or the Cowshed on my own than be surrounded by old firm fuckwits.

I have many good friends on either side of the religious divide who have asked me to get them a ticket for the home end of such a game and , I've always refused.

Even if it means refusing the away team tickets and taking the inevitable financial hit, and no doubt retaliation in the event of an away draw, I'd rather that than being harangued and spat at by these so called football fans.

• Upvote 1

As you say @The Bewilderedbeastthe finances involved in drawing one of Celtic or Rangers in a cup will be a huge positive for the club.

From a fan perspective and the point you raise, it's a very tricky one to police when tickets go on general sale once our season ticket holders have had the opportunity to get their tickets. What you've had to endure at past matches shouldn't be happening at a football match and if they unfortunately did happen again then the club should be taking action on that kind of behaviour. 

All hypothetical at the moment of course, but from an MCT perspective we'd be looking for the club to take action and put steps in place to minimise the risk of away fans being in the home section. 

12 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Well here's one for you, and before I begin, I'm well aware of the finances involved and the impact on the club.

However, let's say we draw one of the Bigot Brothers in a a home cup tie.

I for one am sick and tired of being in MY clubs stadium, supporting MY club and being surrounded by neanderthal arseholes who think it's perfectly acceptable to verbally abuse and, on some occasions, assault home fans for simply supporting their own team.

I always think it's like coming home from work and finding the anti-social neighbours having a party in your living room.

I'd rather stand in the Sinclair St end or the Cowshed on my own than be surrounded by old firm fuckwits.

I have many good friends on either side of the religious divide who have asked me to get them a ticket for the home end of such a game and , I've always refused.

Even if it means refusing the away team tickets and taking the inevitable financial hit, and no doubt retaliation in the event of an away draw, I'd rather that than being harangued and spat at by these so called football fans.

From the times I’ve seen Celtic and Rangers visit Cappielow, the behaviour of their fans was no worse (in fact, infinitely better) than the mutants that came to support Falkirk in March 2019 when we drew with them before eventually bodying them into a League One a couple of months later.

I’m not one to stick up for the Rangers or Celtic fans, but that sort of carry on isn’t exclusive to them. The Falkirk fans in the Norseman, involved in the pitch invasion and getting chased down East Hamilton Street that night were absolute vermin. Pity things didn’t work out too well for them in the end.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Toby said:

From the times I’ve seen Celtic and Rangers visit Cappielow, the behaviour of their fans was no worse (in fact, infinitely better) than the mutants that came to support Falkirk in March 2019 when we drew with them before eventually bodying them into a League One a couple of months later.

I’m not one to stick up for the Rangers or Celtic fans, but that sort of carry on isn’t exclusive to them. The Falkirk fans in the Norseman, involved in the pitch invasion and getting chased down East Hamilton Street that night were absolute vermin. Pity things didn’t work out too well for them in the end.

Agreed, but at least they are not infesting the home ends 

We've had one home cup tie against the bigots since, what, 2000? That would be the 0-1 loss to Celtic in 2010 IIRC. There were certainly Celtic fans in the home end that night, but I don't recall there being significant incidents.

On the other hand, I've been in the Dumbarton end back when they were limiting tickets to the away section of their bus shelter, and I wouldn't think twice about doing so again if some bumpkin outfit tried something similar. I would've been in the home end for the Stranraer game at the start of this season had it not been forfeited. We can't have one rule for us but not for others. 

I agree that it's a potential issue but given how rarely it has actually occurred at Cappielow and there being no easy solution, I just don't think it's something that MCT or the club should devote much time or attention to at the moment. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It should also be added that we should perhaps be careful what we wish for when it comes to travelling supports from less desirable clubs.

So far, Rangers and Celtic have been able to use COVID restrictions and the need for red zones as an excuse not to allow away fans into their own grounds- there will of course be a point that there’s no need for these red zones, but I can’t help but think we’re on a slippery slope towards 100% home crowds at these two clubs becoming the norm.

Celtic aren’t even allocating Raith Rovers any tickets for their midweek League Cup game on Thursday, and we, more than most in recent years know how well Celtic Park sells out for cup ties against unattractive Championship opposition.

Some may think that not getting tickets when their clubs visit Ibrox and Celtic Park is a hit hit worth taking if the fans of those clubs don’t descend on their clubs’ grounds for the corresponding fixtures, but be under no illusions that the only clubs who will benefit from this sort of ban/arrangement/embargo would be Rangers or Celtic, just like they were the major benefactors of the abolition of split gates receipts for league games and TV deals which show 90% of their away games on TV anyway, cutting home crowds for these games and ensuring the only way to see their home games are by attending.

Remember it was only a few years ago they were trying to charge clubs commission for selling tickets to their away supports- we don’t need the gulf between that pair and the rest stretched any further than it already has been.

• Upvote 1