Morton Club Together Updates - Page 81 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

54 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Dear members,

We hope you're all well.

Firstly, we know you’re all frustrated that it hasn’t worked out perfectly for us to take over officially in plenty of time ahead of the new season, but as we’ve said before and with the recent announcement of the imminent new club board, we are in the early stages of the club being operated as community owned. 

There have been periods where we’ve not been updating you as regularly as some fans are expecting and we admit that’s been a failure on our part, even to tell you when there isn’t much to update you on. We’ll now be providing weekly comms, either via email or our MCT social channels, to keep you updated on the latest with the takeover. 

The latest as of today, in the interest of being completely honest with our members, is that progress is being made. In the simplest terms, if our checklist of takeover items has 58 items, we’ve reached the late 40s in that list. Some of those remaining issues are complicated and time consuming to rectify but they are moving in the right direction and the list of items continues to reduce. We’ll continue to update on this in future updates.

Additionally we want to provide an update to members on some of the recent goings on from in and around the club. 

Covid Cases and Match Arrangements

We’re sure you will have spotted the news around the club that there was several positive Covid cases that saw us have to forfeit our match against Stranraer and that caused us to play against East Kilbride behind closed doors when we’d hoped to be able to welcome you back to Cappielow for the new season. 

Across both matches there were discussions back and forward between us and the relevant bodies, including the SPFL, the local council and the government. We provided timely updates to fans as soon as we could across both matches, including on the Tuesday in the run up to the East Kilbride match. At 12.30pm we were still unclear as to whether the match would go ahead but we took the decision to inform fans that if it did, it would be behind closed doors for your safety. By 3pm, it was decided the match would go ahead and we let fans know.

Players and club staff members have now all completed their isolation periods and everyone is well. Cappielow has been deep cleaned and we’re looking forward to welcoming you back for the Clyde match tomorrow, and for our first league match of the season against Dunfermline next weekend.

The misunderstanding with the Greenock Telegraph has now been resolved and our relationship with them is still very much a positive one. We’d like to apologise for any confusion caused over this and we appreciate the important role the Telegraph has in helping to promote MCT and the club. 

Season Tickets

It’s been a huge positive to see so many of you purchase your MCT member priced season ticket so far. The price remains available and you can find out more info on how to purchase yours here.

We’re very aware there’s been issues around season tickets too though. It’s been great to see so many of you come to Cappielow or phone the club to secure yours, but our gmfctickets site has been plagued with issues which isn’t good enough for a football club in 2021. It was already something that had been identified previously as a concern and ticketing remains a priority in the coming weeks and months to ensure the situation is much smoother going forward.

We’re also very aware there’s been issues around a lack of communications fans have received since they purchased their season ticket and the confusion around when they’ll receive any new season ticket cards being issued. Again, this has been due to issues with our ticketing platform and we’ve been working this week to ensure all cards have been sent out ahead of the league season kicking off next weekend. 

Some of you using this option for season tickets have also experienced issues with Direct Debit payments. An issue occurred with GoCardless and that was quickly rectified. It’s been another experience for us to learn from and if you’re still having any issues at all please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we’ll swiftly resolve them for you.

Kits and Sponsor

We’ve seen strong sales of both new kits so far which has been great to see. We’ve been really pleased with the feedback we’ve received from fans too.

You can order your kits from Smiths here

While it’s been a disappointment that we’ve not been able to let you get your hands on the new kits yet, or to have the team wearing them in the Premier Sports Cup, the hold up has been down to Covid and previous delays in the takeover being agreed. The anticipated launch dates can be found on the Smiths website. 

Another reminder that McGill’s have come on board as our new sponsor and they’re delighted to engage with us as a community owned club. We’re looking forward to working together in partnership in the coming seasons. 

We’re disappointed not to have qualified from our Premier Sports Cup group, especially after a really encouraging performance against one of the favourites for the Championship title, Kilmarnock, but we are looking forward to welcoming you back to a freshly painted Cappielow tomorrow against Clyde. A huge thanks to the volunteers who've worked on that over the past couple of weeks. Our attention then turns to league action against Dunfermline on the 31st.

We’re nothing without our members so please do continue getting in touch if you have any questions or queries at any time and we’ll continue to do our best to answer them.

Thanks,

MCT Comms Team

Better late than never, but fair play, that's a decent and comprehensive update. 

45 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

Why not publish the checklist? They might do it now as they seem to wait until things get mentioned on here. More Clap Trap

It's possible voice legitimate complaints and concerns about MCT without being a tedious dick about it. Give it a try some time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pink_panther said:

Why not publish the checklist? They might do it now as they seem to wait until things get mentioned on here. More Clap Trap

Not how it works in the real world. As frustrating as it is for everyone, we have to allow due process to take its course. It might have helped though if MCT we more streetwise on how long legals would take.

• Upvote 2

The substance of the update is mostly fine but once again, they shouldn't be responding to pressure to update the fans, this should be done regularly and ahead of any speculation or criticism that MCT leaders do not want to start. Hopefully they'll follow through on establishing a regular communication format.

That leaves us with the part that isn't mostly fine. If MCT had identified no less than 58 points to resolve as part of the takeover process, then how on earth did they ever think that June 1st was a realistic timeframe to achieve all of them? Bear in mind that six weeks ago we were told that the only thing left was HMRC to give it the green light, then it was the lawyers, then Crawford Rae mentioned issues with the land registry for Cappielow, and now we're ~10/58 points short of completion? The finishing post seems to be getting slightly further away with every update. The more important issue - assuming it does get over the line in the end - is that there needs to be serious internal scrutiny about such a complex task was managed, including public expectations. Because if we don't learn serious lessons from this episode then there's no reason to be confident about other major projects that will be needed to drag GMFC into the 21st century being delivered on time or within budget. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

It's possible voice legitimate complaints and concerns about MCT without being a tedious dick about it. Give it a try some time. 

Ok can they assure us that it wont fall into the hands of the Easdales? I miss the old Western SMT bus garage but dont fancy seeing a new one in the area

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, pink_panther said:

Ok can they assure us that it wont fall into the hands of the Easdales? I miss the old Western SMT bus garage but dont fancy seeing a new one in the area

No idea, you'd have to ask MCT or the gentlemen themselves for that assurance.

Not having lived in Inverclyde for 36 years and Scotland for 25 years, I don't know very much at all about the gentlemen that you mention, other than they already own huge tracts of land and property in the area. So if they did want to build a new bus garage they already have multiple other options. So I think your theory that they want Cappielow purely for the land for a new bus garage is a bit far fetched.

I have not joined in the chorus of derision of MCT in recent times because I appreciate that when things are in the hands of Lawyers they tend to spin the process out and make a bit extra for themselves, as well as unforeseen things cropping up.  As well as that I have also been one of the more critical amongst the Morton supporters of the idea, however credit where it's due for getting this far - MCT managed to achieve in two years what GMST couldn't in 20 years despite having more money thrown at them in the process.  If we look back at 2001, we were still in administration at the time we played Stenhousemuir in the 4-1 game and it was later in the following week that the Takeover was concluded.  Once again I can see similarities between then and now.

For all intents and purposes, Morton have been in an Administration MkII ever since the lesser Rae's piped up to say they were no longer funding the club, and someone that nobody had ever seen or heard of before came along and announced to the world his grand plan of 'ivry buddy chips in munny'.  The only big difference has been escaping a punitive points deduction, and the clubs biggest creditor also being the clubs owner.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

15 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

No idea, you'd have to ask MCT or the gentlemen themselves for that assurance.

Not having lived in Inverclyde for 36 years and Scotland for 25 years, I don't know very much at all about the gentlemen that you mention, other than they already own huge tracts of land and property in the area. So if they did want to build a new bus garage they already have multiple other options. So I think your theory that they want Cappielow purely for the land for a new bus garage is a bit far fetched.

He's being an attention-seeking dick again.  Best to ignore him.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

~10/58 points short of completion?

I am not even sure those numbers are accurate but rather them giving a rough example to show we are a long way through the process. The word 'if' suggests it was just some sort of made up numerical examen.

"In the simplest terms, if our checklist of takeover items has 58 items, we’ve reached the late 40s in that list."

Oware leaves partick. 

Just watched mccall give a very in depth interview about the playing side of things at thistle. Wouldn't go amiss down here.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

15 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I am not even sure those numbers are accurate but rather them giving a rough example to show we are a long way through the process. The word 'if' suggests it was just some sort of made up numerical examen.

"In the simplest terms, if our checklist of takeover items has 58 items, we’ve reached the late 40s in that list."

Not convinced that's the case, because otherwise "In the simplest terms" would be something like 8 out of 10, or 5 out of 6. The examples of '58' and 'around ten short' are both specific and non-simple ways of expressing that point. 

Once again though, the fact that MCT statements are even being parsed through like briefings from the 1980s Kremlin says it all about the lack of clear and reliable communication so far. They've identified that issue; hopefully they will deliver change on that front soon. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That update hits the right tone and is a step in the right direction, so hopefully it's followed up on and they get updates out regularly from now on - if they do it demonstrates that they're learning from mistakes and taking feedback on board.

The takeover points about the checklist etc do raise more questions as already covered, but at least we're now getting some degree of transparency about it. Again we'll see through their actions if they can deliver that continued transparency, but at least they've acknowledged that it's an issue.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

51 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

That update hits the right tone and is a step in the right direction, so hopefully it's followed up on and they get updates out regularly from now on - if they do it demonstrates that they're learning from mistakes and taking feedback on board.

The takeover points about the checklist etc do raise more questions as already covered, but at least we're now getting some degree of transparency about it. Again we'll see through their actions if they can deliver that continued transparency, but at least they've acknowledged that it's an issue.

As I said previously, I'm really not concerned about the takeover, as it will happen and i'd rather they took their time and got things right at this stage. 

However, post takeover Morton FC is a concern - are this MCT bunch up to the task?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

However, post takeover Morton FC is a concern - are this MCT bunch up to the task?

Time will tell of course, but I've went from cautiously optimistic a couple of months ago, to seriously concerned today. To say they haven't got off to a good start is an understatement. Of course I still wish them well and hope it works out, but alarm bells are ringing, that's for sure.

I'd love to know more about the offer Crawford claimed he knocked back last summer. Crawford was obviously desperate to get out, but perhaps naively, I think he was still concerned about the long term wellbeing of the club. So I hope and assume he knocked it back for the best interests of the club, but still, I can't help wondering if it may have been the better option. I guess we'll never know.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Time will tell of course, but I've went from cautiously optimistic a couple of months ago, to seriously concerned today. To say they haven't got off to a good start is an understatement. Of course I still wish them well and hope it works out, but alarm bells are ringing, that's for sure.

I'd love to know more about the offer Crawford claimed he knocked back last summer. Crawford was obviously desperate to get out, but perhaps naively, I think he was still concerned about the long term wellbeing of the club. So I hope and assume he knocked it back for the best interests of the club, but still, I can't help wondering if it may have been the better option. I guess we'll never know.

It will have been an offer from 'Thu Eeeeeeeze-dales' and it will have been along the lines of them buying the club if the lesser Rae's writing off the debt, which I can fully understand them knocking it back.  There will also be plenty of folk kicking about Inverclyde who knows someone who knows someone that drives a Charabanc for them who will claim to have insider information.

It's all bollocks really.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

11 hours ago, capitanus said:

It will have been an offer from 'Thu Eeeeeeeze-dales' and it will have been along the lines of them buying the club if the lesser Rae's writing off the debt, which I can fully understand them knocking it back.  There will also be plenty of folk kicking about Inverclyde who knows someone who knows someone that drives a Charabanc for them who will claim to have insider information.

It's all bollocks really.

Crawford said at the time it was a better offer financially than the MCT deal, but I take that with a pinch of salt. If that was genuinely the case I can't imagine the GC shareholders would be too chuffed about him knocking it back, if it meant getting at least some of 'their' money back. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Crawford said at the time it was a better offer financially than the MCT deal, but I that with a pinch of salt. If that was genuinely the case I can't imagine the GC shareholders would be too chuffed about him knocking it back, if it meant getting at least some of 'their' money back. 

Not sure how it could NOT have been a better offer financially than the MCT deal they got?

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Not sure how it could NOT have been a better offer financially than the MCT deal they got?

Aye, people can say what they like about Rae but I still think he tried to do what he thought was best for the club and fans long term in the end. 

3 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Aye, people can say what they like about Rae but I still think he tried to do what he thought was best for the club and fans long term in the end. 

I think that it was more to do with them being stuck between a rock and a hard place, there was never likely to be an alternative bidder(s) for the club whenever certain parties were sniffing around, and the way they could save face and knock them back at the same time is to 'sell' to a 'fans' group.  Or alternatively, see one of my previous posts about Operation Charabanc.

*insert signature here*