Morton Club Together Updates - Page 80 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

I get that. The point is more that the season tickets, strip launch, etc problems are down to bad planning and not just marketing or comms (better communication can obviously help lessen the damage). 

Part of the problem is that he's not doing a full time job at Morton so if others don't pull their weight or the wider team doesn't have the skill set then it's very difficult to be a success in that role. That's also down to others on the board who's role is to know what a business takes to function properly.

What I'm really saying is there needs to be a collective improvement and its harsh singling one person out. 

That part's fair enough.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

What I'm really saying is there needs to be a collective improvement and its harsh singling one person out. 

It's not an either/or situation. MCT as a group as well as the club absolutely need to get their collective act together; this does not make individual directors immune from criticism though. The commercial and marketing section is under enhanced scrutiny every summer, because that is Greenock Morton's main interaction with its customers and fans for those three months without regular league football. That is when a Marketing and Communications Director has to be most on the ball. No amount of special pleading from you about a 'strategic' remit in a director or lack of time/commitment will get round this. MCT's communications have been a facepalm all summer: where else should the buck stop for that? 

Graham Barr will get freedom from the spotlight soon enough if and when the decisions of other MCT directors about the first team backfire, whether that happens this season or in the future. And that will make all this 'harsh singling out' look like child's play, once there's a baying mob in the Cowshed involved. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Thinking it through, part of the communication failure is not making it clear what fan ownership is. 

To get to the stage MCT are at in a short space of time with as many numbers is quite impressive. What they should have made clearer has been the same since the beginning and shouldn't change any time soon, is how members contribute. 

It's supposed to be a one member one vote organisation so if members aren't happy they can influence and push through changes but how that all works hasn't been made clear. If that feedback loop was more transparent then it would give the board something to push back on. 

As it stands the setup now gives a bit of an Animal Farm feel. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:34 PM, gmfc23 said:

First and foremost I hope he makes as good a recovery as possible from such a serious illness and massive operation. 

Secondly I'm not sure he or his family would want you telling this forum what his illness is. That's a private matter untill such times as he/his family decide otherwise. 

You been hiding under a rock or something. It's been public knowledge for quite some time.

• Downvote 3
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

On 7/19/2021 at 10:17 PM, vikingTON said:

So just to confirm, it's definitely (A) the legal stuff holding things up, as your unimpeachable ITK status confirms, except that, err, you think that it isn't actually the legal stuff causing the problem at all but rather (C), a point reached via the utterly bizarre cul-de-sac that payment to the lawyers would surely make it all go away (B), like we're living in 1990s Albania.

A truly sublime, clown running across a minefield display there.

You conveniently missed out this part "would it not be easier all round just to pay them and put all the speculation as to what's going on in the background to bed".

Good try but I'm afraid no coconut this time, champ.

• Downvote 3
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

17 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

You conveniently missed out this part "would it not be easier all round just to pay them and put all the speculation as to what's going on in the background to bed".

Good try but I'm afraid no coconut this time, champ.

Erm no I didn't, it was clearly labelled as point (B) in your flailing, Catherine wheel display of fail. 

Swing and a miss. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Erm no I didn't, it was clearly labelled as point (B) in your flailing, Catherine wheel display of fail. 

Swing and a miss. 

You did, you just did your usual verbal diarrhea. You need to take lesson from young Dunning who's post make you look like the real amateur on the forum.

• Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

You did, you just did your usual verbal diarrhea. 

If I ignored it as you claimed then the second part of this sentence is false, you imbecile. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

If I ignored it as you claimed then the second part of this sentence is false, you imbecile. 

😂ouch that must have been sore. I guess I managed to swing and hit. You talked to Dunning yet to get few lesson on how to get your point across without resorting to your usual vain prose? That boy could teach you a lesson or two.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

😂ouch that must have been sore. I guess I managed to swing and hit. 

No, you just managed to come across as a dribbling moron as usual. Gutted for you. 

On 7/18/2021 at 1:54 PM, Toby said:

I think he’s got a point in fairness and it goes back to Paul’s theory from when MCT was first mooted.

I’d suggest our major sponsors would be more than keen to take over the reins, but given their reputation and past misdemeanours, realise that buying the club from GC might not go down terribly well for either party, so Crawford’s found a couple of local idiots to step in in the meantime.

Two or three years down the line, when we’re saddled with more debt, can’t afford to do basic repairs on the ground and struggling to hold onto the coattails of Bonnyrigg Rose in the chase for a play off place in League Two, a couple of knights in shining armour riding in to the rescue might be a bit more palatable than now.

MCT would of course dismiss such suggestions, but would you put it past that lot to be unwittingly used in that way by our erstwhile chairman and his pals in the transport industry?

I would say that 'Operation Charabanc' is well and truly under way, and we're talking weeks/months rather than a few seasons.

If you look back to the time when Morton were in administration back in 2001, the preferred bidder was the GMST along with a Canadian ex-pat Tom Thomson, who for some reason or other never came up with the funding.  Professor James Pickett was the guy doing a lot of the dealings.  Whenever the GMST/Thomson consortium never materialised, that was when DDFR and Golden Casket Group stepped in.  A lot of people back then didn't want DDFR to take over, but he was the one who put his money in where and when it mattered.  I've a real suspicion that history is about to repeat itself here.

Just watch this space.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Dear members,

We hope you're all well.

Firstly, we know you’re all frustrated that it hasn’t worked out perfectly for us to take over officially in plenty of time ahead of the new season, but as we’ve said before and with the recent announcement of the imminent new club board, we are in the early stages of the club being operated as community owned. 

There have been periods where we’ve not been updating you as regularly as some fans are expecting and we admit that’s been a failure on our part, even to tell you when there isn’t much to update you on. We’ll now be providing weekly comms, either via email or our MCT social channels, to keep you updated on the latest with the takeover. 

The latest as of today, in the interest of being completely honest with our members, is that progress is being made. In the simplest terms, if our checklist of takeover items has 58 items, we’ve reached the late 40s in that list. Some of those remaining issues are complicated and time consuming to rectify but they are moving in the right direction and the list of items continues to reduce. We’ll continue to update on this in future updates.

Additionally we want to provide an update to members on some of the recent goings on from in and around the club. 

Covid Cases and Match Arrangements

We’re sure you will have spotted the news around the club that there was several positive Covid cases that saw us have to forfeit our match against Stranraer and that caused us to play against East Kilbride behind closed doors when we’d hoped to be able to welcome you back to Cappielow for the new season. 

Across both matches there were discussions back and forward between us and the relevant bodies, including the SPFL, the local council and the government. We provided timely updates to fans as soon as we could across both matches, including on the Tuesday in the run up to the East Kilbride match. At 12.30pm we were still unclear as to whether the match would go ahead but we took the decision to inform fans that if it did, it would be behind closed doors for your safety. By 3pm, it was decided the match would go ahead and we let fans know.

Players and club staff members have now all completed their isolation periods and everyone is well. Cappielow has been deep cleaned and we’re looking forward to welcoming you back for the Clyde match tomorrow, and for our first league match of the season against Dunfermline next weekend.

The misunderstanding with the Greenock Telegraph has now been resolved and our relationship with them is still very much a positive one. We’d like to apologise for any confusion caused over this and we appreciate the important role the Telegraph has in helping to promote MCT and the club. 

Season Tickets

It’s been a huge positive to see so many of you purchase your MCT member priced season ticket so far. The price remains available and you can find out more info on how to purchase yours here.

We’re very aware there’s been issues around season tickets too though. It’s been great to see so many of you come to Cappielow or phone the club to secure yours, but our gmfctickets site has been plagued with issues which isn’t good enough for a football club in 2021. It was already something that had been identified previously as a concern and ticketing remains a priority in the coming weeks and months to ensure the situation is much smoother going forward.

We’re also very aware there’s been issues around a lack of communications fans have received since they purchased their season ticket and the confusion around when they’ll receive any new season ticket cards being issued. Again, this has been due to issues with our ticketing platform and we’ve been working this week to ensure all cards have been sent out ahead of the league season kicking off next weekend. 

Some of you using this option for season tickets have also experienced issues with Direct Debit payments. An issue occurred with GoCardless and that was quickly rectified. It’s been another experience for us to learn from and if you’re still having any issues at all please don’t hesitate to get in touch and we’ll swiftly resolve them for you.

Kits and Sponsor

We’ve seen strong sales of both new kits so far which has been great to see. We’ve been really pleased with the feedback we’ve received from fans too.

You can order your kits from Smiths here

While it’s been a disappointment that we’ve not been able to let you get your hands on the new kits yet, or to have the team wearing them in the Premier Sports Cup, the hold up has been down to Covid and previous delays in the takeover being agreed. The anticipated launch dates can be found on the Smiths website. 

Another reminder that McGill’s have come on board as our new sponsor and they’re delighted to engage with us as a community owned club. We’re looking forward to working together in partnership in the coming seasons. 

We’re disappointed not to have qualified from our Premier Sports Cup group, especially after a really encouraging performance against one of the favourites for the Championship title, Kilmarnock, but we are looking forward to welcoming you back to a freshly painted Cappielow tomorrow against Clyde. A huge thanks to the volunteers who've worked on that over the past couple of weeks. Our attention then turns to league action against Dunfermline on the 31st.

We’re nothing without our members so please do continue getting in touch if you have any questions or queries at any time and we’ll continue to do our best to answer them.

Thanks,

MCT Comms Team

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Glad we've had some communication at last, although again it's reactive to complaints fans have rather than pro active information. 

Thought the info about the takeover was extremely vague, and also it seems to get further and further away from completion after every update. Still 10+ things left on the checklist with no word on what they are or what sort of timescale they're looking towards for them. 

I'm not here to shit all over them and do want them to succeed more than anything, but the lack of transparency on the takeover is truly frightening. 

I thank them for providing what is a detailed update in terms of length but there's some massive red flags appearing for me. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The apologetic tone of the email is welcome, especially on the comms side of things. If they sort out more regular updates and take a more open approach going forward then last couple of months will soon be forgotten about.

The takeover completion stuff sounds much more open ended than than it has done in their previous emails - no specifics on what the issues are or any mention of target dates either.

Are the outstanding tasks required to finalise the takeover or are they just part a more general programme?