Morton Club Together Updates - Page 79 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Just like the GM post, if you create a set of dud criteria then you'll only get a set of dud candidates wanting to get involved. 

Nail on the head. With what they're currently offering, I'll be astonished if they manage to attract anyone even close to the caliber required to properly run a professional football club. It's what you would expect from say a golf club employing a handful of people, not a football club employing somewhere around 25 people (I'm guessing, taking into account the players, coaches and backroom staff).

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

5 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I generally adopt a glass half full attitude to things Morton, some might deem that in the "Happy Clapper" group, who cares.

I was supportive of the take over and looking forward like us all, to a new start and was even toying with the idea of increasing my monthly subscription.

However, the Covid outbreak aside, I'm now reconsidering. I won't pull out, just yet, but watching the situation unfold I'm hoping that once all of these legal things are sorted things will level out for the better.

I'm even hearing stories of folk taking out direct debits for season tickets, then receiving emails saying their DD had been stopped, being advised to take out another DD, then guess what, double payments being taken.

Shambles!!!!!

MCT's frankly feckless attitude towards payments and subscriptions has been a recurring theme, and it's the primary responsibility (and failing) of Stewart Farmer, who's about to be on the Board. What could possibly go wrong?

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Mind when they said that they were looking for volunteers to help fix/spruce up things around the ground and would announce more details shortly? It was mentioned during the video interview published on June 12th - and nothing more has been heard of this in the five weeks since

They had volunteers in painting the yellow safety lining on the stairs etc a few weeks back 

Everything is fucking tinpot at Morton nowadays.  It's depressing.

I'm beginning to think that the Bus Wankers taking over may not be such a bad thing.  At least they'll put their money where their mouth is, and wouldn't stand for such mediocrity.

*insert signature here*

The long-term structure I'd like to see is 50% fan ownership of the club, with the other half made up of private stakeholders with a leading role at boardroom level. The idea that a fan group should run the club on a day to day basis - or make all the decisions on who to appoint to run the club for them - is folly because they don't have the required expertise to do that job well. That road leads us to becoming Stirling Albion, or even a Brechin-style Royston Vasey outfit where the incestual 'committee men' run the club (into the ground).

MCT should be willing to listen to offers to sell up to 50% of the shareholding, with the money raised from that going into GMFC's coffers. They should continue to raise capital from its members for reinvestment in the club, as well as buying shares back if a private partner wants out. 

The short-term issue though is not even MCT's ideas for running the club: they produced a quite realistic and professional statement of intent towards the end of last season. They have failed to practice what they preached back then though. While the legal aspects of the takeover are not fully in their power to influence, the repeated failures in communication and recruitment ('General Manager' position not even going out to applications until the first week in July, with shan conditions attached) are already on them. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

It's simply not good enough and every single day of silence drains their credibility further in the weeks where MCT as an organisation can least afford to get things wrong. It's hard to imagine how this summer could possibly have been more shambolic or done more damage to confidence in their ability to run the club short of announcing that the takeover is cancelled. The first impression created this summer is critical to their success and getting more people on board, but there's nothing good to say about it.

Absent from this (and most) assessments is any discussion of the first team, but this is the issue that is most likely to seriously undermine support for MCT. By embracing 'continuity' on the park while trying to change things behind the scenes, they're left in the predictable scenario of looking like the Rae regime of 2020-21: the same turgid shitfesting and non-existent ambition on the park, only with a different set of blazers in the director's box. Discontent about communications on this forum right now is child's play compared to what will be expressed inside Cappielow in November, if we're circling the drain and playing the same honking football as last season. 

The easiest way to demonstrate a change of approach this summer and avoid this complete frittering away of credibility was by completely overhauling the first team, given that there was no permanent manager or any senior players contracted beyond the summer. This would have sent clear signals that what happened last season was not in fact job done and that the broader first-team 'strategy' of the late-Rae era was bankrupt, was leading us nowhere and had to go. By handing out new and two year deals left right and centre instead, MCT have foolishly put themselves and the club on the hook for the status quo until 2023 - even if it delivers nothing but more failure and completely tedious drivel to watch on the park. 

MCT only reflected many viewpoints on here in rejecting the risk of overhauling the first team, but that is now leading to the genuine worst-case scenario: a turgid relegation on the same terms as the old regime in the first season of fan ownership. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well-intentioned but to date a shambolic reactive mess with MCT guilty of the same mistakes made by those who have gone before. It is not as if the issues that frustrate the fans and members are new, they are the very same issues MCT highlighted in their launch and promised to do better. As a fan, I want to believe but the amateurish over-promising and under-delivering track record of MCT is even worse than I feared. As with most things Morton related - it is the hope that kills you.

Edited by HamCam

35 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Well-intentioned but to date a shambolic reactive mess with MCT guilty of the same mistakes made by those who have gone before. It is not as if the issues that frustrate the fans and members are new, they are the very same issues MCT highlighted in their launch and promised to do better. As a fan, I want to believe but the amateurish over-promising and under-delivering track record of MCT is even worse than I feared. As with most things Moorton related - it is the hope that kills you.

I wouldn’t say that papping the blame onto the Tele over a communication mix up and deciding to go ahead with a game behind closed doors for public safety without consideration for player and staff safety was something that would’ve happened under the Raes’ watch, nor would I say the media and communications guy refusing to answer pertinent questions from his own team is.

Nor, come to think of it could I have seen Dougie threatening to withdraw access to Roger Graham or Jonathan Mitchell when they were working for the Tele because they were critical of players.

Yes, MCT have made some very familiar mistakes, but let’s not kid ourselves, they’re serving up a whole new range of fuck ups on an almost weekly basis.

Congratulations to Barr on the new addition to his family, though- at least he can do something right.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Toby said:

Nor, come to think of it could I have seen Dougie threatening to withdraw access to Roger Graham or Jonathan Mitchell when they were working for the Tele because they were critical of players.

Seem to recall Diamond Dave and/or Hopkin having a similar, blubbering meltdown not too long ago. 

2 hours ago, Toby said:

Willing to be corrected, but I’d be surprised if even they were that stupid. Going toe to toe with the fans was more their bag.

I’m told he’s read this and is a bit upset about what I said, and to be honest, it was out of order.

Whilst I’m not happy with a lot of things these guys have done in recent weeks and months with MCT, this should be a happy time for him and his family, and it’s not fair of me to ruin that for them.

So if he is reading it, I’ll offer my apologies and genuine congratulations on the birth of his son.

To be fair to Graham, I always thought his role was more strategic and trying to put things in place longer term rather than the day to day responding to things, making announcements and generally keeping fans up to date. 

Obviously the day to day is a big part of communications but there are others listed in the MCT marketing team who presumably have responsibilities for club communication and marketing too (as well as just for MCT). 

It seems to me like he's been thrown to the wolves a bit as the only board member to have done an interview and putting himself out there a bit too. 

21 minutes ago, irnbru said:

To be fair to Graham, I always thought his role was more strategic and trying to put things in place longer term rather than the day to day responding to things, making announcements and generally keeping fans up to date. 

Obviously the day to day is a big part of communications but there are others listed in the MCT marketing team who presumably have responsibilities for club communication and marketing too (as well as just for MCT). 

It seems to me like he's been thrown to the wolves a bit as the only board member to have done an interview and putting himself out there a bit too. 

If you are Marketing and Communications Director, then you are just as accountable for the everyday as well as the 'strategic' part of MCT communication. You don't get to create your own magic wheelhouse of expertise within that area and blame someone else for anything that falls outwith that. A director is responsible for co-ordinating the actions of others within that team and accountable for their success and failure alike.

I also don't follow your claim that putting himself out there has somehow caused the issue. The only reason why this is being discussed is that the communication from MCT has been fucking abysmal all summer. It could have been a blanked-out regen from an old Football Manager game in the role as Marketing and Communications Director, and they'd be getting criticised just as much for it.

The spotlight will be moving onto first team matters soon enough anyway so I won't be looking out my violin for this grave injustice. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Imagine a directorship coming with responsibilities. It'll never catch on.

I get that. The point is more that the season tickets, strip launch, etc problems are down to bad planning and not just marketing or comms (better communication can obviously help lessen the damage). 

Part of the problem is that he's not doing a full time job at Morton so if others don't pull their weight or the wider team doesn't have the skill set then it's very difficult to be a success in that role. That's also down to others on the board who's role is to know what a business takes to function properly.

What I'm really saying is there needs to be a collective improvement and its harsh singling one person out.