Morton Club Together Updates - Page 78 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

1 hour ago, pink_panther said:

Toby I used to be like you.never missed a game home or away.Dingwall and Inverness midweek. Taking holidays for midweek games. Basically doing whatever it takes to get to the game etc. Now Its just  home games for me or else big away games but even that is becoming a chore and sometimes not bothered about missing some. I'm sure there are still a few good die hard fans similar to yourself but to be fair the club doesnt give a shit about them. I bet most of us have seen Rangers and Celtic more times that some of these hangers ons have seen Morton. Missing your red dots but I see you have an adequate replacement in Captain Anus. 

Nobody has ever seen you at a game though, Gordon.  Why is that?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Is there any leadership at Cappielow right now?  We just appear to be drifting along and I'm concerned that since Graham McLennan took ill that nobody is stepping into his shoes while he recovers. We need somebody to take the bull by the horns and declare that they are in charge right now. I know that the legal part of this deal is what's holding things up as that's what I'm told and I know lawyers are a law unto themselves but would it not be easier all round just to pay them and put all the speculation as to what's going on in the background to bed. I'm hearing the real hold up is to do with Crawford Rae.  I so want to see fan ownership being a success but I get more and more concerned as time goes by that there is nobody at the helm and the ship is drifting towards the rocks. C'mon MCT somebody step and take charge before you switch current subscribers and new subscribers off.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Surely this MCT organisation is more than just one person, has he got a vice-chairman who is able to deputise in his absence?

FWIW I don't know the nature of Graham McLennan's illness but wish him well and hope that he makes a successful recovery.

2 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Is there any leadership at Cappielow right now?  We just appear to be drifting along and I'm concerned that since Graham McLennan took ill that nobody is stepping into his shoes while he recovers. We need somebody to take the bull by the horns and declare that they are in charge right now. I know that the legal part of this deal is what's holding things up as that's what I'm told and I know lawyers are a law unto themselves but would it not be easier all round just to pay them and put all the speculation as to what's going on in the background to bed. I'm hearing the real hold up is to do with Crawford Rae.  I so want to see fan ownership being a success but I get more and more concerned as time goes by that there is nobody at the helm and the ship is drifting towards the rocks. C'mon MCT somebody step and take charge before you switch current subscribers and new subscribers off.

aye, I nominate "Boy with Drum'".  Does anybody want to second it?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

*insert signature here*

11 hours ago, pink_panther said:

you'll probably have to ask Gordon about that

Okay then Groomed-arse -

Nobody has ever seen you at a game though, Gordon.  Why is that?

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

26 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Surely this MCT organisation is more than just one person, has he got a vice-chairman who is able to deputise in his absence?

FWIW I don't know the nature of Graham McLennan's illness but wish him well and hope that he makes a successful recovery.

aye, I nominate "Boy with Drum'".  Does anybody want to second it?

Graham McLennan is recovering from an op to remove a brain tumour.

• Upvote 1
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

1 hour ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Graham McLennan is recovering from an op to remove a brain tumour.

First and foremost I hope he makes as good a recovery as possible from such a serious illness and massive operation. 

Secondly I'm not sure he or his family would want you telling this forum what his illness is. That's a private matter untill such times as he/his family decide otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

First and foremost I hope he makes as good a recovery as possible from such a serious illness and massive operation. 

Secondly I'm not sure he or his family would want you telling this forum what his illness is. That's a private matter untill such times as he/his family decide otherwise. 

I thought it was public knowledge?

11 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

7 minutes ago, HamCam said:

I thought it was public knowledge?

Yes it's been public knowledge for a little while now.

26 minutes ago, gmfc23 said:

^^^ Everything this guy said.  Seconded.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

5 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

(A) I know that the legal part of this deal is what's holding things up as that's what I'm told and (B) I know lawyers are a law unto themselves but would it not be easier all round just to pay them and put all the speculation as to what's going on in the background to bed. (C) I'm hearing the real hold up is to do with Crawford Rae.  

So just to confirm, it's definitely (A) the legal stuff holding things up, as your unimpeachable ITK status confirms, except that, err, you think that it isn't actually the legal stuff causing the problem at all but rather (C), a point reached via the utterly bizarre cul-de-sac that payment to the lawyers would surely make it all go away (B), like we're living in 1990s Albania.

A truly sublime, clown running across a minefield display there.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is as bad a pre season in terms of running the club as I can remember. Even Crawford Rae managed to get fans praising him and excited for new seasons on occasion. Literally nothing has changed from the previous regime to this one. 

If we don't have signings to make, strips to sell, managers to interview then at least have some content on the YouTube channel. How hard is it to get two players and Gerry together (covid outbreak withstanding) and have them play silly games or asked funny questions about their teammates etc or even a crossbar challenge at training. 

Simple things that keep fans engaged and feeling like they know more about the personality of the players they're supporting this season and much more interesting for us and the players than a bog standard clichéd interview. 

• Upvote 2

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I generally adopt a glass half full attitude to things Morton, some might deem that in the "Happy Clapper" group, who cares.

I was supportive of the take over and looking forward like us all, to a new start and was even toying with the idea of increasing my monthly subscription.

However, the Covid outbreak aside, I'm now reconsidering. I won't pull out, just yet, but watching the situation unfold I'm hoping that once all of these legal things are sorted things will level out for the better.

I'm even hearing stories of folk taking out direct debits for season tickets, then receiving emails saying their DD had been stopped, being advised to take out another DD, then guess what, double payments being taken.

Shambles!!!!!

• Upvote 1

Made this point before, but I’ll do it again. I don’t see why any of the legal details should be holding up us completely revamping our socials/website output, and actually marketing. There’s been little things we’ve done better, but none of it feels joined up. 

• Like 1

Motherwell are a bigger club than us without a doubt but they are fan owned and their social media output is brilliant and their communication with fans seems great too. They might be bigger than us but they're Motherwell not Man Utd. 

If you're going to get new younger fans to be interested and excited to come to Morton games in this day and age then ideally the best way you're able to maintain that is through engaging social media channels. Can't just shove a billboard up outside cappielow and hope people see it and come along anymore. 

I'd love to see us become one of the leaders in Scotland in terms of social media and fun and engaging youtube content, but that's never going to happen by having one of the staff members tweet when they get a moment between jobs or uploading one player interview a fortnight that's almost identical to the last one.

I wouldn't be against a dedicated social media staff member under Gerry who's sole job is to provide content across multiple social media platforms. Not a fan of a club at our level having volunteers but if we can't afford it then I'm sure there are college students out there who would like the opportunity to gain experience and exposure running verified social media accounts for a season. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The media and comms guy now also works for Scottish Golf in their marketing department I believe- it was only a couple of weeks ago I heard it discussed on Sportsound (by Tom English I’d imagine) that their marketing presence is abysmal, certainly in comparison to their Irish counterparts.

I’ve never had the slightest interest in golf, but Scotland’s widely regarded as “the home of golf”- if you can’t sell golf in Scotland, how the hell do you expect to sell a struggling Championship club to a community that fell out of love with it years ago?

Saying you’re working in marketing for such a major operation looks lovely on a CV, but if you dig a bit deeper, it’s akin to saying you’ve played professional football for four years, only for that to be with Brechin City from 2017-2021.

• Upvote 1

MCT should be communicating updates on a regular (weekly) basis about the takeover as well as trying to sell any other things that they are doing to change the club, right now. Mind when they said that they were looking for volunteers to help fix/spruce up things around the ground and would announce more details shortly? It was mentioned during the video interview published on June 12th - and nothing more has been heard of this in the five weeks since. If you're not going to do it, then simply  communicate and justify that decision to your membership and the wider fanbase, because this habit of throwing ideas out there and letting them sink into obscurity does nothing to help your credibility. This is an issue that is entirely within MCT's remit to resolve, right now.

Given the teething problems that I would expect with any new and completely inexperienced group taking on the task of running a football club, the recent takeover vision of MCT having a 4-2 majority in the board is also deeply concerning. Why would an independent director spend their time giving input to a board, when it could simply descend into a clubhouse meeting for MCT officials having each other's backs and abdicating responsibility? MCT officeholders should accept that they don't have all the answers - they're not expected to - and rely on as much outside direction as they can get. The board should be a 3-3 division for the foreseeable future IMO to show outside voices that they will play a meaningful role in the decision-making process. Just like the GM post, if you create a set of dud criteria then you'll only get a set of dud candidates wanting to get involved. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are