Morton Club Together Updates - Page 71 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Just now, Toby said:

Nobody’s denying the existence of sectarianism at Rangers and Celtic, my point is that it’s really not relevant to a debate about their colt teams. There are so many more relevant issues related to this that bringing sectarianism into it achieves nothing, other than perhaps detracting from the more pertinent points.

I agree totally. It's issue number 9 on a list of 10 items, where item 10 is pie quality at whatever ground they rock up at for "home" games.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Given that Graham Barr stated on the Ton TV interview that was put online on 12 June that the HMRC issue had been resolved, it's a bit worrying that two weeks later we're still in limbo. Bit concerned that there maybe some serious unresolved legal issues preventing the transfer. It certainly doesn't look like it's the formality that Graham seemed to suggest it would be.

On 6/25/2021 at 1:03 AM, hayfever said:

What makes you think my intentions are anything other than honourable?

Maybe your intentions were honourable, I don't doubt that they were, however this doesn't entitle you to be parachuted into a plum job at Morton because you have been been involved in a fan owned club somewhere else.

Next.

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

On 6/21/2021 at 12:02 PM, Toby said:

This is a load of nonsense, let’s be honest. The Trust lost all credibility after 2009, if not before that, as vT points out. The irreparable damage that was done to it after that fiasco killed any faith the support could have had for the Trust and was the reason MCT had to be formed in the first place.

The Trust wouldn’t even take my money after about 2005, why on Earth would I expect them to take onboard my opinions?

As for MCT- even the simplest question, as to who’s actually running the show, is being completely blanked. I get that there are legalities to go through at the moment, but the identities of the prime movers and shakers in there are anyone’s guess.

I’m afraid that not identifying yourself to the folk who are putting the money in, and not having to answer for some, let’s say “controversial” decision making when your feet are barely under the desk is a fault on the part of MCT’s top boys, not of the rank-and-file whose bank accounts are being debited every month in order to put these people into positions of authority and power, but not of accountability as yet.

My own stance in regard to MCT is that I contribute to them as they’re the only show in town, and the alternative is worse, but I signed up to MCT because I felt that fan ownership was beginning to look like the only realistic way forward. I didn’t sign up to fund a consortium of mates onto the board of the club who don’t even respect myself and the other 800 odd contributors enough to answer the simplest of questions, let alone put their head above the parapet and answer the ones about signing a registered sex offender.

I want to know who these guys are and how they’ve been selected for their roles, as the members outside their Leadership Team have certainly not been consulted on their credentials and the process for selecting them, which shouldn’t just be down to a couple of pals who are using our money.

If you’ll excuse me for now, I’ll certainly not be trying to work closely with a group of guys who at the moment I don’t trust as far as I can spit.

Right, maybe I didn't quite phrase the previous post as clearly as I may have.

The Trust quite evidently became a discredited basket-case a long time ago and lost the faith of most fans many moons ago and rightly so, of that there's no doubt; at the same time though, there was also people who made a big effort to try to resurrect it thereafter and done a lot of good things that helped the club via a lot of time and effort. If people were as interested in putting themselves forward to contribute as they are to take personal pops at others who did do so, the Trust was entirely viable; indeed, MCT would arguably have been much better off taking over the Trust framework as their vehicle rather than the incoherent format it's taken so far. Some people are mouthpieces that hide behind keyboards and would never dare say what they do on here to others in person - something I'm well aware doesn't apply to yourself, and I'd more than happily have this discussion over a pint (and look forward to it too, it's always enjoyable talking all things Morton with you); others are all talk, no trousers. 

I also don't disagree at all that the lack of transparency from MCT is extremely poor, and frankly I have little faith in them; I'll willingly rescind what I said about them as there's a lingering suspicion that there's a huge element of self-lionising and lack of suitable skills or experience about those involved - for example, "the boy with the drum" being amongst their named group. With all due respect to him, it's not a qualification to be part of a club's ownership (for all I know he's very well suited to do so), but nonetheless I tip my hat to those who've got involved and again...although again, that doesn't at all earn a free pass. 

On a similar note, I'll also admit that I'm simply not interested enough these days to take any kind of active role in anything and to an extent this is all maybe a bit hypocritical, but which is why I admire anybody who does get off their computers and get involved. 

AWMSC

4 minutes ago, capitanus said:

What's wrong with "Boy with a drum"?

I don't get it either, it was obviously symbolic gesture to demonstrate MCT is fully inclusive and open to all fans, young and old.

There are far bigger things to be concerned about with MCT than this. In fact, even bringing it up makes it easy for MCT or anyone else to claim that we've got some sort of axe to grind and are just complaining for the sake of it, which is absolutely not the case (PP (Gordon) excepted).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, vikingTON said:

In what ways did GMST actually "help the club", given that it continued to circle the drain owing £2 million plus debt to a family who had no interest in anything other than getting something for 'their' money back? The late era Rae debacle took place under GMST's watch and it did nothing - absolutely nothing - to address the fundamental questions of succession and ownership of the club. Any measures that were undertaken then were de facto a hauner for Golden Casket and not GMFC. This was unsurprisingly MCT's original position as well, but they have at least been moved quickly to take a more critical appraisal. 

The Trust was not even a remotely viable organisation for change not just because of its historical debacles but also because, in the post-Bucketgate era, it acted as a stepping stone for its officeholders to try and ingratiate themselves with the Rae regime and get their blazer and club tie spot on the board. Even when the outcome of the ridiculous restructuring cheerleaded for by a senior Trust/club figure led directly to the most shameful season in living memory in 2013/14: for which there has been no genuine accountability. This revisionism of 'bad Trust' and 'good Trust' simply will not do then.

As for 'the boy with a drum' who you deride, he's at least not disqualified from being involved in an official post by dint of steering the last fan group into a fucking wall and nearly letting the club go the way of Airdrie or Clyde: which is the black mark on GMST officeholders whether they like that or not. The club ran up over £2 million of completely unpayable debt and nearly lost its ground in a contemptible debt swap scheme - and from the GMST we heard nothing against the club ownership at any time. 

You won't agree but the trust raised 10s of thousands for the youth academy, ran fans games, got volunteers to help maintain the stadium and sorted a hall of fame. 

It's probably more relevant that they also got an audience with Neil Doncaster and made the opposition to rangers dropping down the leagues known. It would be good if mct done the same with colts. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2021 at 1:22 AM, capitanus said:

Maybe your intentions were honourable, I don't doubt that they were, however this doesn't entitle you to be parachuted into a plum job at Morton because you have been been involved in a fan owned club somewhere else.

Next.

What about relevant experience that could help MCT address and overcome supporter concerns around ticketing, retail, and how to communicate to and reconnect with its supporter-base?

• Downvote 1

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

8 hours ago, irnbru said:

You won't agree but the trust raised 10s of thousands for the youth academy, ran fans games, got volunteers to help maintain the stadium and sorted a hall of fame. 

Whose responsibility was it - at a professional football club - to ensure that the youth 'academy' (which is nothing of the sort btw) and the ground is maintained? Is it:

a) Golden Casket, the owners of the club with a supermajority share holding, or

b) GMST, by getting voluntary donations from supporters?

If you picked b) then the wallet inspector will be around shortly for your latest check. 

As I said previously, the club has been openly spiralling into a crisis situation for the past fifteen years, and the stance taken by GMST was to give hauners to the Raes while obtaining nothing in return for that assistance. Enabling a disinterested regime to keep all the power and delegate as much responsibility as they could did not help GMFC one jot and only meant that the final reckoning would come at a later date and with a larger IOU attached. It was an utterly gormless position and underlines exactly why your organisation failed. 

"It's probably more relevant that they also got an audience with Neil Doncaster and made the opposition to rangers dropping down the leagues known. It would be good if mct done the same with colts."

It's really not, given that the decision about Rangers was made by representatives of the 41 football clubs in the SPL/SFL alone, and executives like Doncaster played no role in the final outcome (which they opposed from their media bully pulpit throughout as 'Armageddon'). 

But you keep telling yourself that it was the GMST wot won it, all while the club that you were supposed to be preserving for future generations was being run into the ground with your supine approval.

Edited by vikingTON

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, hayfever said:

What about relevant experience that could help MCT address and overcome supporter concerns around ticketing, retail, and how to communicate to and reconnect with its supporter-base?

Would it be cheeky to ask what club you have fan ownership experience with, and what your roles are/were?