Morton Club Together Updates - Page 63 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

I'd expect to see an update soon on how exactly the MCT discount on season tickets will apply in practice, given that the original subscriptions must be expiring in the very near future.

Presumably there will be a second pledge drive on the cards but this could pose a few headaches for the club admin, as it seems to be a phone the club/go to Cappielow job for the MCT rate. No doubt one of a few practical tests of the new regime's backroom work this summer. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

31 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

I'd expect to see an update soon on how exactly the MCT discount on season tickets will apply in practice, given that the original subscriptions must be expiring in the very near future.

Presumably there will be a second pledge drive on the cards but this could pose a few headaches for the club admin, as it seems to be a phone the club/go to Cappielow job for the MCT rate. No doubt one of a few practical tests of the new regime's backroom work this summer. 

It says in the terms they'll invoice for the difference in price if no longer a member. My membership lapses next month though and there's been no reminder to renew so a lot must be in the same boat. Presumably those with season tickets will keep an eye on it to keep their discount but they might see membership drop quite a bit if there's not a good feeling about what's been done so far (in terms of new manager, etc). 

Seems to be a lot to do - new strips, memberships, contingency planning for covid, hiring for a ceo (presumably), etc and not a lot of time. 

3 hours ago, Madton said:

Administration.

That seems the only outcome which is why I've been against fan ownership from day one at a club our size.  It'd have been great if MCT had been around years ago to be used as a vehicle to boost the playing budget but I suppose we are where are now and for me the future looks as bleak as ever. 

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I wonder when the formal handover will eventually take place, or will HMRC hang around long enough to mitigate some of the marquee signings that have been made so far. I’m not on the socials, so got the token ‘oh, by the way…’ e-mail on the 31st of last month like the rest.

6 hours ago, LargsTON said:

What's the contingency plan if membership numbers drop drastically which on the back of recent events has to be a concern?

The contingency *should* be that we break even off the back of our normal revenue like a competent football club and business. Anything that MCT brings to the table is therefore treated as capital, not revenue, which can be invested in projects to bring in more revenue. A matchday social club or events space, for example, but anything that would grow the club's general income but needs funds to make happen. MCT subscriptions should not be an exercise in plugging a hole that we'd otherwise have in our budget or a replacement for the Rae's IOU service. 

They've said that their plan is to get the club to break-even status within three years, but with two year deals being slapped on the table I'm concerned that this is not feasible. They should have used this summer as an opportunity to ditch the all full-time model for a start, as part of getting more value from our resources than telling the next cohort of Herbalife salesmen to train and then sit in the house and watch Judge Judy five days per week. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

The contingency *should* be that we break even off the back of our normal revenue like a competent football club and business. Anything that MCT brings to the table is therefore treated as capital, not revenue, which can be invested in projects to bring in more revenue. A matchday social club or events space, for example, but anything that would grow the club's general income but needs funds to make happen. MCT subscriptions should not be an exercise in plugging a hole that we'd otherwise have in our budget or a replacement for the Rae's IOU service. 

They've said that their plan is to get the club to break-even status within three years, but with two year deals being slapped on the table I'm concerned that this is not feasible. They should have used this summer as an opportunity to ditch the all full-time model for a start, as part of getting more value from our resources than telling the next cohort of Herbalife salesmen to train and then sit in the house and watch Judge Judy five days per week. 

She's retiring from her show this year. Perhaps we'll offer her a two-year contract.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, Toby said:

What’s bothering me at the moment it is the uncertainty as to who is making decisions and the lack of accountability for those decisions. I get that we’re in that difficult period when the ownership’s being handed over and we also have to assemble a competitive squad ahead of the new season, but particularly when the club makes such a controversial first signing of the new era, for nobody to put their head above the parapet and answer difficult questions doesn’t show our prospective new directors, whoever they may be, in a good light.

Who is signing off the new contracts and signings, and why are none of us getting anything beyond “this is what’s happening, deal with it”?

I don’t expect every single decision to go to a vote of 840 members, that would just be silly, but I do expect that as a members organisation, the members are consulted on who goes forward onto Morton’s board of directors.

At the moment, it strikes me that Morton will be run by a consortium of mates using our money, under the pretence of fan ownership.

We’re heading into an era in which the Morton directors will become accountable to the fans- it’s about time these guys realise this, respect the people who are putting their hands in their pockets on a monthly basis, answer some difficult questions and are elected by the fans into whatever position of power they get, rather than hand a blazer, tie and pin badge to their mates to make their CV look good.

It probably doesn't make a great deal of difference but tweeting from the club account then either the slo replying or someone from the MCT account doesn't help with this confusion either. 

They've answered a lot of questions about season tickets but a few people will miss these since it's not from the club account. 

I recall that Mike Peden appointed a manager, signed several players and had one of his company names on the shirts all whilst supposedly being the new owner of the club however the deal was yet to be concluded.  

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

14 hours ago, capitanus said:

I recall that Mike Peden appointed a manager, signed several players and had one of his company names on the shirts all whilst supposedly being the new owner of the club however the deal was yet to be concluded.  

Peden was just a front for Scott wasn't he?

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Peden was just a front for Scott wasn't he?

I think that Peden was his own man, a bit more of a flyman than Scott ever gave him credit for.  HS thought he found a stooge to whom he could offload the club, but Peden ran rings around him.

*insert signature here*

8 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

He comes over very well. I must say

Agreed for the most part: the key message that the club and fans require an entirely different, relationship than the 'bring a friend and shut up' mantra of the Rae's over the past twenty years is correct. It'll take a lot of time to shrug off the truly poisoned legacy of that form of management though, both from the club and the fanbase. 

My concern remains that the changes that are being held off now because of the tight turnaround will never actually be implemented though. By giving several multi-year deals, the chance to have a total rethink of the first team already looks off the table in 2022. By 2023 the buck will already stop with MCT which will make far-sighted change all the harder to implement. It's an unenviable task and more so because of our survival in the second tier as we also need to churn out a semi-competent team at the exact same time. 

36 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Agreed for the most part: the key message that the club and fans require an entirely different, relationship than the 'bring a friend and shut up' mantra of the Rae's over the past twenty years is correct. It'll take a lot of time to shrug off the truly poisoned legacy of that form of management though, both from the club and the fanbase. 

My concern remains that the changes that are being held off now because of the tight turnaround will never actually be implemented though. By giving several multi-year deals, the chance to have a total rethink of the first team already looks off the table in 2022. By 2023 the buck will already stop with MCT which will make far-sighted change all the harder to implement. It's an unenviable task and more so because of our survival in the second tier as we also need to churn out a semi-competent team at the exact same time. 

I think MCT will have plenty of goodwill in the bank and most fans will give them a reasonable amount of time to right all the wrongs of the Rae era. But of course that won't be indefinite and I think there needs to be tangible signs of real improvement, both on and off the park, within the first few months of them getting the keys to Cappielow, if they want to keep the fans invested and on board. I was reasonably reassured however in that interview that they have a clear idea of what they need to do in the weeks and months ahead to achieve that. Time will of course tell.

Agree that some of the contract lengths and re-signings are a concern. Not sure however if that's down to MCT, Gus, or both. Would surprise me if Gus signed a contract that required MCT approval for player (re-)signings, but I would image they would at least have to approve the contract lengths and salaries. But who knows.

As he said, it's not going to be a light switch moment and everything will suddenly be ok.

What needs to be remembered by the fan base is that it's not ALL about the team on the park. To be in a position to keep a team on the park, they also have to make sure that the lights are on, the heating is working, that there are stewards at the games, catering is provided etc etc.

All of that costs money.

It's my understanding that that the emergency lighting is currently being upgraded which is costing a five figure sum and that the four boilers also need replacing, another pricey venture I'd suggest. These are all things that are not immediately visible to the fans walking through the turnstiles.