Morton Club Together Updates - Page 60 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

On 4/26/2021 at 6:20 PM, Pedrodelawasp said:

I generally travel through with my old dad and we tend to park at the marina. I’ve done the bus and two trains from East Kilbride with a friend a couple of times and it was no hardship, but my dad won’t be in to it, even with his titanium knee. He’d be happy to use a park and ride, though. An extra quid or two per game on the season ticket wouldn’t be so bad for the service. Or better yet I pay a small charge and he gets it free as a senior.

Have you ever seen that TV show with Michael Portillo on the trains.  He goes to all sorts of interesting places and meets a variety of interesting people along the way, but never a half-jaked guy on route to Drumfrochar who has accidentally got on the wrong train.  He doesn't have a titanium knee to my knowledge, but he has many sports blazers in different bright colours.

Watch out for it, you might enjoy it.  :)

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

33 minutes ago, capitanus said:

Have you ever seen that TV show with Michael Portillo on the trains.  He goes to all sorts of interesting places and meets a variety of interesting people along the way, but never a half-jaked guy on route to Drumfrochar who has accidentally got on the wrong train.  He doesn't have a titanium knee to my knowledge, but he has many sports blazers in different bright colours.

TV rots your brains but I make an exception for those Portillo documentaries. They're amazing. The Great Asian Railway Journeys one from last year was superb.

For the UK series he never did the Inverclyde Line, a real omission.

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

TV rots your brains but I make an exception for those Portillo documentaries. They're amazing. The Great Asian Railway Journeys one from last year was superb.

I always find it amazing how he always gets a carriage to himself and a window seat, and how there isn't the remnants of some kids monster munch scattered all over the seats.  No wonder his show is called 'Great Train Journeys'.

I wonder what Alan Partridge Ton thinks about Michael Portillo, his TV Show and his interesting array of colourful sports blazers.  Does he like him because it's textbook Partridge, or is he furious because it's too similar to his idea 'A Partridge amongst the Pigeons'?.

*insert signature here*

On 4/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, TRVMP said:

It seems that you are incorrect:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xw5jx

"Michael Portillo continues his journey through the Scottish lowlands with his Bradshaw's guide. He begins in the industrial town of Greenock from where he sets sail in the last seagoing paddle steamer in the world."

Points immediately knocked off for promoting that useless charabanc of the sea, that couldn't even dock at Brodick pier last summer without a) injuring its passengers b) conveniently needing yet another crowdfunder for repairs. 

The final destination is, erm, Larkhall, which makes the episode sound like a historical tour of West of Scotland's sectarian hotbeds. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The closing date for responses to the (brief) survey for members is tomorrow I think, so it's best to send a response either way to make the verdict clear for MCT to take back to the club. 

The mind still boggles at the 10-15% who were happy to let GC act as the wallet inspector by keeping the ground in the first place. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

11 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

"Michael Portillo continues his journey through the Scottish lowlands with his Bradshaw's guide. He begins in the industrial town of Greenock from where he sets sail in the last seagoing paddle steamer in the world."

Points immediately knocked off for promoting that useless charabanc of the sea, that couldn't even dock at Brodick pier last summer without a) injuring its passengers b) conveniently needing yet another crowdfunder for repairs. 

The final destination is, erm, Larkhall, which makes the episode sound like a historical tour of West of Scotland's sectarian hotbeds. 

More importantly, did he have a carriage to himself again, the spawny cunt?

*insert signature here*

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

WTF? That entire series must be blocked on YouTube here in the US coz I've not heard any of these episodes. Christ. I'm going to have to dig for these.

And aye it's nice that the Waverley still exists n'at and I salute - half-heartedly and a bit sarcastically - those for whom it's a labor of love, but deep down it's a bit crap, isn't it?

Plus I tried reading Waverley last year and I think I got about 40 pages in and they were still bloviating about the fucking castle or whatever and the family life and the deid da'. Fucking awful book. Maybe it got better but it'll be a cold day in hell before I found out.

EOho8Pw.png

17 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The closing date for responses to the (brief) survey for members is tomorrow I think, so it's best to send a response either way to make the verdict clear for MCT to take back to the club. 

The mind still boggles at the 10-15% who were happy to let GC act as the wallet inspector by keeping the ground in the first place. 

This survey is (correctly) only open to members, unlike the last one, which was open to plebs like me. I do wonder if making this one members only will change the result percentages. (This latest deal, being a real coup from MCT, I expect to pass handily regardless.)

EOho8Pw.png

On 4/27/2021 at 4:44 PM, dunning1874 said:

While the legal and financial aspects of the takeover deal and day one of ownership are the most important details and they'll have understandably taken up the bulk of the MCT team's time recently, I note that the document states "we will look to use relevant expertise to develop a strategic outlook for the footballing operations at the club following transfer of ownership." I appreciate that work may be ongoing and some details may not be appropriate for public disclosure, but this close to the summer and with the extent of the rebuild required at the club I was hoping for some more detail on the wider football strategy. This is important regardless of what division we're in but especially so if relegated.

Has the time with MCT representatives working alongside people at the club not provided the opportunity to develop that strategy so it's ready to go on day one following the transfer of ownership? If not, is there at least someone who can provide that expertise lined up to be recruited immediately so that if there are urgent decisions to be made, for example regarding a managerial appointment, that decision is being taken by someone with the knowledge to make an informed choice rather than well-meaning volunteers?

I always understood that fan-owned wouldn't mean fan run and we'd be bringing in expertise where required. However if we don't have that expertise in place from the start and for whatever reason Gus MacPherson is no longer the manager, we immediately have people without footballing expertise making a crucial decision for the future of the club, with the likelihood of part-time football and a future akin to Airdrie, Clyde or worse should we be in League One and fail to win promotion at the first time of asking.

Even with a manager in place, we would have no one equipped to avoid the situation we saw in the summer transfer window of 2020 where the lack of structure in the club meant no one could overrule a manager building the wildly imbalanced squad that has left us staring relegation in the face. The lack of a wider footballing strategy remains a concern even if we do have an expert in place, as having that strategy ready should play a role in determining the type of manager we appoint.

I wanted to read the full PDF and give some time to think it through and finally got a chance to do so at "lunch"time today. (I don't eat lunch. Lunch is rubbish.) Overall it's a really great document, it strikes a great balance between aspiration and realism. So I don't want to knock the document as a whole. I think a good 80% of it is extremely impressive.

However, I was struck by the same thing you were. It's summed up in The Next Steps, page 22, where the staff structure is given the same prominence as the strip launch (and club licensing, come to that!)

On the one hand I totally understand that MCT can't jump the gun on recruitment and structure with the season still in play. And I further understand that the great level of attention to detail elsewhere is a good thing, not a bad thing. But it does feel that there is a deficit on the footballing side of things.

It might well be that they're keeping their powder dry and have something in the works already. The good thing is, judging from their diligence in other areas, I think this is more likely than not.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

WTF? That entire series must be blocked on YouTube here in the US coz I've not heard any of these episodes. Christ. I'm going to have to dig for these.

And aye it's nice that the Waverley still exists n'at and I salute - half-heartedly and a bit sarcastically - those for whom it's a labor of love, but deep down it's a bit crap, isn't it?

Plus I tried reading Waverley last year and I think I got about 40 pages in and they were still bloviating about the fucking castle or whatever and the family life and the deid da'. Fucking awful book. Maybe it got better but it'll be a cold day in hell before I found out.

It's not named after the Sir Walter Scott novel, but the Reekie train station, which is incidentally named after the novel.  

Also, a little known fact about the Waverley, it was not a Clyde-built ship.

*insert signature here*

TRVMP you have no staying power 

I read Waverley during the summer lasyt year and while bits are tedious and other bits are obvious it has a few twists and gives you a historic background to some events that get lost in normal history

Do go back to it

As to park grab

I am sure the accountants are all over it making money

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2021 at 6:56 PM, capitanus said:

I have. My journey wasn’t quite as luxurious as most of his. Rather than chilled Chardonnay and canapés I had two cans and a tangerine.

1 hour ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

I have. My journey wasn’t quite as luxurious as most of his. Rather than chilled Chardonnay and canapés I had two cans and a tangerine.

A can of Chardonnay?  With a tangerine?

You fucking rebel.

*insert signature here*