Morton Club Together Updates - Page 58 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

18 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Don't presume to tell others to stop talking based on what you admit is your own emotional response. Just close the browser if reading a couple of hundred words about a car park every few weeks is that traumatic for you. It's got fuck all to do with you anyway. 

40 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

so let's be understanding and conduct ourselves as we would expect others to.  

• Downvote 6

Glad to have this deal on the table and clarity about the government grant. However, wish we had dipped into it a bit more so that we weren't in this  relegation mess. 

Regardless, this deal + no more Raes will do. They were never letting go of the car park but thank god they're letting go of our club

Edited by so72

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Golden Casket leaving with anything after the decades of damage they've done rankles, but a debt free club with ownership of the stadium is considerably better than we had before.

I still think it might be too late to avert catastrophe and if we go down this season we won't be back at this level for years, if ever. Turning into Clyde is more likely than turning into Airdrie and it's easy to see turmoil on and off the park feeding off each other and sinking MCT's credibility before they properly get going.

If they're planning to overhaul every aspect of the club with the ultimate aim of purging the social club mentality and becoming a properly professional outfit then it's going to take years to achieve and longer to rehabilitate the club's reputation, which has been a laughing stock for the entirety of Golden Casket's reign and has plumbed new depths this season. We could do with five minutes of stability on the park to facilitate that - if they're trying to carry out a restructure of the club against drastically reduced income from being in League One while showing no sign of a promotion challenge and possibly going part-time, they're obviously more limited in what can be done. Relegation from the Championship is always going to be a risk for a club floating around the bottom end of full time budgets, but there's really no worse summer it could happen.

While we have more reasons to be pessimistic than optimistic about the future, the previous deal was nothing short of a death sentence regardless of what division we were in. There's at least a route to survival from here.

Considering they have a sizeable chunk of Government money left, there is absolutely no reason why next year's squad shouldn't be better than this year. I'll be devastated if we go down because, like you, I'm worried about what would happen if we ended up stuck in League 1. However, in the immediate future, there really should be no justification for going Part Time.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, so72 said:

Considering they have a sizeable chunk of Government money left, there is absolutely no reason why next year's squad shouldn't be better than this year. 

Spunking that on the playing  budget would be short sighted and possibly even negligent.

Having more working capital than expected is hugely beneficial as a safety net, particularly when income looks likely to be seriously compromised if we are relegated, not a transfer warchest to blow.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Greacen2000 said:

I will take this deal.  Fair play to MCT for negotiating it, although it does make the initial 2 options look laughable (as others have said above, possibly a negotiating tactic by GC from the outset in order to make the compromise look better than it is).

In terms of the car park, do we know for sure that it was actually purchased using Mortons money?  It has always been my understanding that the Raes/GC bought it and that its ownership has always been under the separate GMFC property entity rather than being on the clubs books.  If this is the case, then I am fine with the Raes keeping it.  If on the other hand it was purchased by the club then that changes things.

From my understanding that's close to the truth, but not quite right. It's not really clear cut either way, I don't think. Certainly when it comes to GMFC and GC not much has really been clear cut. I think it spent time in a separate entity, but only for a while and that entity was under the name of Morton, not GC. I think the purpose of the land had always been intended for Morton's use, but it's intention as a longer term investment has always been sketchier. There has always been a level of uncertainty there - and that uncertainty was what we were left with after Dougie passed away. He was Morton, he was GC, and while he lived it was all just that. I think this is the inevitable conclusion of the uncertainty left behind in all that - a division of what he was. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, so72 said:

Considering they have a sizeable chunk of Government money left, there is absolutely no reason why next year's squad shouldn't be better than this year. I'll be devastated if we go down because, like you, I'm worried about what would happen if we ended up stuck in League 1. However, in the immediate future, there really should be no justification for going Part Time.

What justification is there for staying full time, when we're paying jokers like Orsi to do nothing other than work on putting a ball in the back of a net each week and they still haven't got the hang of it?

Our full/part-time status should not be determined by what division we play in but rather on the objective merits of either. A hybrid approach with a limited core of younger players who would benefit from full-time development and the rest told to get a real job as well cannot be less viable than the nick of a setup we are running with right now. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

17 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Yeah, if I was telling a bunch of strangers to stop discussing a real estate deal in which I wasn't personally involved - again, via a few hundred words, weeks apart - because I found this to be "draining", in the cold light of day I'd be sincerely grateful if someone told me to pull myself together. It's an absolutely pathetic thing for a grown man to be doing. There are plenty of things about which it's perfectly valid to be sensitive, there are plenty of things in peoples' past that make them sensitive to certain topics, and it's altogether right to approach such topics with care. (This is why I never much go in for the whole "snowflake" chat. It became very early in the day something of a rallying cry for people who just want to be dicks.)

But there is a limit. The Morton car park is so far past that limit it's in another fucking galaxy. There is no reasonable explanation for finding this "draining" when it's so minor, such a brief discussion, and so easily avoided. In fact the most plausible reason for even trying this is because your last attempt to run down the clock by blaming the fans for killing the club failed miserably, and now you're panicking because there's yet another curtain to look behind.

If MCT go with the current option, I won't blame them one bit. I think they've done very well to get it to this point. But at the end of the day, we as fans are still entitled to ask why the club is losing one of its assets.

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

Of course it's perfectly legitimate to ask about the car park, to suggest otherwise is petty and churlish.

Not at all sure about this... but was the car park actually ever 'owned' by the club? I could be wrong, but didn't Dougie put it under some holding company? If that's the case, I'm not overly bothered about 'losing' it, if it strictly speaking was never a club asset as such.

To be honest I thought MCT had very little chance if getting the deal they did, so fair fucks to them - although as others have stated, that could well have been a very smart bit of negotiating management by GC. Maybe we're a bit like the mugs who drive out of a second hand car dealership convinced that they've got a great deal and screwed the salesman, whereas the opposite is invariably the case. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Greacen2000 said:

I will take this deal.  Fair play to MCT for negotiating it, although it does make the initial 2 options look laughable (as others have said above, possibly a negotiating tactic by GC from the outset in order to make the compromise look better than it is).

In terms of the car park, do we know for sure that it was actually purchased using Mortons money?  It has always been my understanding that the Raes/GC bought it and that its ownership has always been under the separate GMFC property entity rather than being on the clubs books.  If this is the case, then I am fine with the Raes keeping it.  If on the other hand it was purchased by the club then that changes things.

5 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

From my understanding that's close to the truth, but not quite right. It's not really clear cut either way, I don't think. Certainly when it comes to GMFC and GC not much has really been clear cut. I think it spent time in a separate entity, but only for a while and that entity was under the name of Morton, not GC. I think the purpose of the land had always been intended for Morton's use, but it's intention as a longer term investment has always been sketchier. There has always been a level of uncertainty there - and that uncertainty was what we were left with after Dougie passed away. He was Morton, he was GC, and while he lived it was all just that. I think this is the inevitable conclusion of the uncertainty left behind in all that - a division of what he was. 

5 hours ago, HamCam said:

Very positive development for which all involved should be applauded. The Rae family retaining the car park may not be ideal but as they bought it in 2003 it is essentially a separate entity to Cappielow Park. 

The car park was bought by Dougie using GC money just like all his expenditure which was outwith the income of GMFC. It was never part of a seperate company or entity and was always on GMFCs books. It's contaminated land and not suitable for housing unless you spend a few bob clearing the contamination. I don't see Crawford spending money on that. It could be used for industrial purposes as the rules regarding contaminated land are not as strict as residentail properties. More than likely is that he will sell it to a developer rather than do anything with it himself.  

• Upvote 1
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

2 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

If use of the car park is withdrawn at short notice, or the price jacked up beyond affordability, what are the alternative options in the area? Can’t squeeze too many more in over the road at the docks.

Get folk to take the bus, or walk. Priority parking for oud yins. Job done.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, Pedrodelawasp said:

If use of the car park is withdrawn at short notice, or the price jacked up beyond affordability, what are the alternative options in the area? Can’t squeeze too many more in over the road at the docks.

There's a train station five minutes away and a bus stops outside every five minutes as well. 

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Get folk to take the bus, or walk. Priority parking for oud yins. Job done.

2 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

There's a train station five minutes away and a bus stops outside every five minutes as well. 

That’d be ideal. Not sure the majority of folk using the car park every other week up until the pandemic will be keen to leave the car at home, but maybe I’m being a bit too cynical.

In any case, seems a more palatable deal than the previous options.

Some kind of park-and-ride thing for out-of-towners, maybe, but not sure what the demand would be.

On the occasions I would drive to games I'd park around 10 minutes' walk away in a residential street.

We have - as most provincial clubs do - an aging fanbase, many of whom won't be steady on their feet, and I think that these people should have priority for parking near the ground. Maybe even a drop-off zone. But I don't know how feasible that is.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

17 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Some kind of park-and-ride thing for out-of-towners, maybe, but not sure what the demand would be.

On the occasions I would drive to games I'd park around 10 minutes' walk away in a residential street.

We have - as most provincial clubs do - an aging fanbase, many of whom won't be steady on their feet, and I think that these people should have priority for parking near the ground. Maybe even a drop-off zone. But I don't know how feasible that is.

When I had a season ticket for NEC Nijmegen it included free public transport to and from the stadium. Maybe something similar could be negotiated with McGill's. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Yeah, if I was telling a bunch of strangers to stop discussing a real estate deal in which I wasn't personally involved - again, via a few hundred words, weeks apart - because I found this to be "draining", in the cold light of day I'd be sincerely grateful if someone told me to pull myself together. It's an absolutely pathetic thing for a grown man to be doing. There are plenty of things about which it's perfectly valid to be sensitive, there are plenty of things in peoples' past that make them sensitive to certain topics, and it's altogether right to approach such topics with care. (This is why I never much go in for the whole "snowflake" chat. It became very early in the day something of a rallying cry for people who just want to be dicks.)

Fair point.

Extremely frustrating would have been a more accurate assessment of my thoughts on the carpark topic.

Good news though, WhowouldbeaMortonfan and TRVMP have had a meeting of the minds, which has to bode well for all MCT and the fan community. If we can put our views out there, respond and acknowledge without offending each other surely then we can all do the same.

Still available for Friday if needed.

• Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I generally travel through with my old dad and we tend to park at the marina. I’ve done the bus and two trains from East Kilbride with a friend a couple of times and it was no hardship, but my dad won’t be in to it, even with his titanium knee. He’d be happy to use a park and ride, though. An extra quid or two per game on the season ticket wouldn’t be so bad for the service. Or better yet I pay a small charge and he gets it free as a senior.

• Upvote 1