Morton Club Together Updates - Page 56 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

6 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Let's not perpetuate the myth that these teams will have supporters.

I can easily envision various far-flung OF fans in Montrose and Berwick (lol) and Elgin showing up to watch the wee version of their big team.

I'm not completely against the B teams in the way I once was but for me the whole thing strikes me as a bit pointless.

EOho8Pw.png

42 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I can easily envision various far-flung OF fans in Montrose and Berwick (lol) and Elgin showing up to watch the wee version of their big team.

Which is what they want you to believe. That thousands of fans will turn up to see the Old Firm weans, putting money into clubs coffers.

Won't happen.

2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Which is what they want you to believe. That thousands of fans will turn up to see the Old Firm weans, putting money into clubs coffers.

Won't happen.

Nobody is going to turn up to watch teams which previously starred the likes of Andrew Dallas.

Rangers and Celtic vastly over-estimate the quality of their youth systems imo, there's some amount of dross that gets churned out of them. We really don't need them stinking out the senior league set-up, for an almost endless list of reasons. 

AWMSC

The Colt teams can fuck off. If the sole purpose is to expose their youngsters to senior football, what's to stop them forming a sporting partnership with League One/Two clubs? Hibs have recently formed a partnership with Stenhousemuir which involves players going on loan, as well as sharing scouting reports and other footballing operational benefits. It seems to be a partnership with a list of mutual benefits. Although I highly doubt youth development is the sole motivation for the Old Firm. 

That said, given the current state of play and the financial difficulties the lower leagues could be facing in the coming weeks and months, if this proposal is ever going to pass then it's going to pass now. The Old Firm have the resources to dangle a carrot that part time clubs simply cannot afford to turn down in the name of sporting integrity. 

• Upvote 1

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

57 minutes ago, BishopBrennan said:

The Colt teams can fuck off. If the sole purpose is to expose their youngsters to senior football, what's to stop them forming a sporting partnership with League One/Two clubs? Hibs have recently formed a partnership with Stenhousemuir which involves players going on loan, as well as sharing scouting reports and other footballing operational benefits. It seems to be a partnership with a list of mutual benefits. Although I highly doubt youth development is the sole motivation for the Old Firm. 

That said, given the current state of play and the financial difficulties the lower leagues could be facing in the coming weeks and months, if this proposal is ever going to pass then it's going to pass now. The Old Firm have the resources to dangle a carrot that part time clubs simply cannot afford to turn down in the name of sporting integrity. 

While clubs are more liable to be bought off now than ever, the bribe amounts to an insignificant amount per club per season. The money lost through dozens of fans of each club walking away and never coming back would be vastly greater than whatever scraps they're thrown for a limited period of time; it'll be a death knell for clubs and the lower leagues as a whole the second they're allowed in.

If people wanted to watch reserve football they would go and watch reserve leagues. Turn competitive leagues into glorified reserve competitions and fans will walk away. I'm not sure clubs comprehend just how much fans despise the idea.

It obviously wouldn't be practical to have a vote of the membership on every single issue the club are asked to vote on once MCT are in charge, but I'd hope something as important as any reconstruction proposal would merit it. Although if they want to just go ahead and say it's a definite no off their own backs in this case then fine.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Why is this just a Rangers Celtic thing? Would there be the same enthusiasm from some quarters if the likes of Morton or any other team for that matter agreed to the proposal and then put their own B teams forward. This whole idea is to suit two teams in Scotland who already dominate Scottish football. Why would anyone want to increase that domination to the detriment of the game is beyond me.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

An as yet unannounced option 3 now on the table.

https://mortonclubtogether.com/2021/03/31/mct-update-31st-march-2021/

The results of the consultations were not a surprise to us, and we are now confident that a deal has been negotiated that will appeal to fans and be in the best interests of the long term future of the club.

If MCT pull this off, fair play to them. Hoping for the best. I'm glad they didn't just panic and pick one of the two options.

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

If MCT pull this off, fair play to them. Hoping for the best. I'm glad they didn't just panic and pick one of the two options.

I'm not getting too excited just yet but fingers crossed.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I'll await the details before getting carried away, but this does sound encouraging. You wouldn’t think they'd be willing to say they're confident it will appeal to fans without some significant movement on Cappielow.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

9 hours ago, TRVMP said:

"Golden Casket have agreed to pocket the £500k grant money and as a result are willing to reduce the paper debt in option 2 to just £1.9m".

Seriously though, it does sound encouraging although speaking so confidently in the statement that they think the new deal will appeal to fans breeds expectations of significant movement  Believe it when I see it. 

• 2 weeks later...

As with the 500k in the first place, I'm mystified as to why the Scottish Government wants to throw yet more money at professional football.

On a purely unrelated note, what's everyone's favorite inflation-resistant asset?

EOho8Pw.png