Morton Club Together Updates - Page 43 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

Oh and on the deep offence about comparisons with Hugh Scott: the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Will GMFC be well on their way to having a sustainable future at Cappielow in ten years' time, or will it become an Airdrie-level, stupid wee husk of an outfit, and what role will GC play in determining this?

GC will have to show their good intentions rather than tell us that they exist because the relationship of trust has broken down. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, piehutt said:

From the statement;

MCT has been assured by the Rae family and Golden Casket that they will continue to underwrite the financial security of the club until the end of the season.

You can believe what you want to believe but how you could read that and think GC aren't going to ensure we fulfil our obligations this season, is that you just choose not to believe it. 

Well no, you could either:

i) recognise that a pinky promise from businessmen is not legally binding, and GMFC has had its fingers burned in the recent past by assurance cheques that ended up bouncing, or

ii) recognise that in the context of a global pandemic and severe economic downturn, there is no guarantee that GC will be in reasonable position to do so in the spring, even if all of its directors were 100% pledged to the cause.

You'd think that the events of 2020 would provide a handy crash course in the roles of risk and uncertainty in business, but if MCT's report of what the club told them is deemed sufficient for you alone to crawl back into your box like a tortoise hibernating for another decade then that's an unexpected bonus. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

32 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Well no, you could either:

i) recognise that a pinky promise from businessmen is not legally binding, and GMFC has had its fingers burned in the recent past by assurance cheques that ended up bouncing, or

ii) recognise that in the context of a global pandemic and severe economic downturn, there is no guarantee that GC will be in reasonable position to do so in the spring, even if all of its directors were 100% pledged to the cause.

You'd think that the events of 2020 would provide a handy crash course in the roles of risk and uncertainty in business, but if MCT's report of what the club told them is deemed sufficient for you alone to crawl back into your box like a tortoise hibernating for another decade then that's an unexpected bonus. 

absolute nonsense. A business doesn't give contractual or written assurances of meeting it's own obligations. it is implied or else people will pursue them financially. 

and in the context of a global pandemic nothing is certain if you take that view. Whether they make a written promise or declaration. 

So I'm not really sure what would satisfy you at this stage. Anything from Morton you will choose not to believe and anything from MCT you are treating as not the full story. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, piehutt said:

Anything from Morton you will choose not to believe and anything from MCT you are treating as not the full story. 

I think the first part is the problem for a lot of fans - how do you believe anything that emanates from the sweetie factory? The Raes have a history of breaking promises therefore trust is in limited supply. I offer you a debt free club, a three year plan...

Edited by HamCam

1 hour ago, allyballybee said:

I respect your right to make that choice. However in my mind paying a contribution to MCT does not translate to a direct payment to the Rae family at this point. 
Given  recent events I very much doubt MCT would simply hand over any new money without attempting to use it to strengthen their own hand.

I hope the current situation does give MCT additional leverage but as it stands the existing arrangement is contributions leads to debt write-off and the current owner contributing less.

3 minutes ago, piehutt said:

So I'm not really sure what would satisfy you at this stage. Anything from Morton you will choose not to believe and anything from MCT you are treating as not the full story. 

We have 20 years of valid reasons not to believe them, frankly.

That said, I'd said in one of the other threads on here that I'd presumed Golden Casket were doing nothing to cover the shortfall considering the stories we were hearing, and it's good to hear that's not the case.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

38 minutes ago, piehutt said:

absolute nonsense. A business doesn't give contractual or written assurances of meeting it's own obligations. it is implied or else people will pursue them financially. 

and in the context of a global pandemic nothing is certain if you take that view. Whether they make a written promise or declaration. 

If it isn't written down and is loaded with uncertainty that GC itself can't control then our financial security quite clearly isn't confirmed for the season, which is what you have claimed. And I've already stated that MCT aren't expected to provide this guarantee, because it's totally outwith their power to do so.

Is it more assuring to have this statement than not? Of course it is. But the idea that we should now take the next few months as a given is utterly ridiculous. The club isn't out of the woods yet, not even remotely.

Edited by vikingTON

55 minutes ago, piehutt said:

From the statement;

MCT has been assured by the Rae family and Golden Casket that they will continue to underwrite the financial security of the club until the end of the season.

You can believe what you want to believe but how you could read that and think GC aren't going to ensure we fulfil our obligations this season, is that you just choose not to believe it. 

What does this mean, exactly? The manager resigned last week because we needed to cut costs. Will we still need to look to offload players in January? In what circumstances could we afford to hire a new manager? There are a number of questions which the club could at least help clarify in some way. 

I'm guessing the bottom line is that GC will underwrite what they absolutely have to, if they have to. I think the main frustration is that, for the second time in three seasons, we've had to look to significantly cut costs only weeks after the start of the season. It's not a good way to run a business, particularly for staff who have been hit with uncertainty but also for fans who are understandably worried about the future of the club (after all, we have been told to worry about that). 

It's obviously encouraging to hear that GC plan to make sure the club remains financially secure, but I do wonder why 'the very future of the club' was at stake last week but this week not so much. It does raise questions about how the club is being run and what they view exactly as their obligations. 

I think what many fans need to hear from GC is exactly the opposite of what people like you have been saying on here in the past week. Precisely that costs incurred in running GMFC is the responsibility of GC and no financial underwriting, or any debt, will be held against MCT (in the sense of a financially based transaction, i.e. retaining the ground because it is an asset) in negotiations over the transfer of the club. I want to hear that GC has no interest in any substantial financial gain from GMFC or the land it will still hold in the future (and, for that matter, why it has to be specifically they hold safeguard the ground).

The fact is that we know from the experience two years ago that Crawford's will is not always aligned with others with control at GC. We all know that the details that we don't yet know will be very important but there's certainly more that could be done to build bridges with fans (at a time, for financial reasons, that this is very important).

To be clear, I'm not usually on this side of the debate. It's particularly been those on here talking up the ground as such an asset which has started the alarm bells ringing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HamCam said:

It is with great pride that I note WhowouldbeaMortonfan has red-dotted one of my posts. Given his sanctimonious, patronising, and sycophantic ramblings it is a pleasure to know I have got under his skin. Bring a friend.

At least you did not call me a c*nt much like you did the last time. This leads me to believe that we are at least making progress as we march together as Morton fans. So thank you for that.

Sorry HamCam you did not get under my skin, my red-dot as you call it, it was in response to the note you left and I have copied and bolded the point, which led to my dotting...What you note is the easy part, which anybody can throw out there. The hard part is recoginizing the percieved weakness of the plan and to develop and implement stategies for improvement. This is what separates the men from the boys.

You set the bar low when the benchmark is the sweetie world equivalent of North Korea. I do, however, accept they are a vast improvement on what has gone before but I still believe they can do better especially if they are asking existing members to continue to stump up and at the same time encourage new members to the fold. When we are being told the club is in imminent danger of folding you have to be proactive. I do though share your concern that MCT may be the only show in town but my hands remain in my trousers as I am loathe to give another penny to the hard-up Rae family.

So the question is, what are you....a man or a boy. 

I was also thinking, as you are not prepared to support MCT through monthly subscription, what are you prepared to do...note my suggestion below

Donate to the players daily breakfast and lunch fund, which as we know is fully burdened by the players

This is just for starters, as I am sure there are many other areas in which we can support the players directly, without as you put donating to the hard-up Rae family.

Sugestions of how HamCam can donate his hard earned money to support the players are welcome.

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

At least you did not call me a c*nt much like you did the last time. This leads me to believe that we are at least making progress as we march together as Morton fans. So thank you for that.

Sorry HamCam you did not get under my skin, my red-dot as you call it, it was in response to the note you left and I have copied and bolded the point, which led to my dotting...What you note is the easy part, which anybody can throw out there. The hard part is recoginizing the percieved weakness of the plan and to develop and implement stategies for improvement. This is what separates the men from the boys.

You set the bar low when the benchmark is the sweetie world equivalent of North Korea. I do, however, accept they are a vast improvement on what has gone before but I still believe they can do better especially if they are asking existing members to continue to stump up and at the same time encourage new members to the fold. When we are being told the club is in imminent danger of folding you have to be proactive. I do though share your concern that MCT may be the only show in town but my hands remain in my trousers as I am loathe to give another penny to the hard-up Rae family.

So the question is, what are you....a man or a boy. 

I was also thinking, as you are not prepared to support MCT through monthly subscription, what are you prepared to do...note my suggestion below

Donate to the players daily breakfast and lunch fund, which as we know is fully burdened by the players

This is just for starters, as I am sure there are many other areas in which we can support the players directly, without as you put donating to the hard-up Rae family.

Sugestions of how HamCam can donate his hard earned money to support the players are welcome.

I believe your memory must be failing you or you are just making it up. I have called many people many things but never that. 

• 2 weeks later...

As MCT start looking towards their ownership of the playing department (at the very least) is there anyone else who is thinking we need to get Young Reece and Strapp in contact talks now before the inevitable happens and the ship sales. I think MCT have been very good so far but we cant see club assets walking away for nothing or virtually nothing and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this is worrying atm. This for sure as the window opens is a concern for ALL Mortons support!! 

Communication on this in the very near future would be welcomed by all I'm sure!!!

7 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

As MCT start looking towards their ownership of the playing department (at the very least) is there anyone else who is thinking we need to get Young Reece and Strapp in contact talks now before the inevitable happens and the ship sales. I think MCT have been very good so far but we cant see club assets walking away for nothing or virtually nothing and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this is worrying atm. This for sure as the window opens is a concern for ALL Mortons support!! 

Communication on this in the very near future would be welcomed by all I'm sure!!!

Both signed contract extensions about a year ago. For all the current regime’s a shit show, ensuring assets don’t walk away for nothing has been something they’ve prioritised.

If either are to leave through freedom of contract, it’ll be because it’s their own choice, not because Morton haven’t bothered tying them up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So are they gonna still be under contract? And does nobody believe MCT should be securing there only real assets now? Surely that makes sense? McGraw regime was certainly astute in this department. No time like the present imo 

At the end of the day as things stand the only real assets MCT will have is young Lewis and Reece as things stand!

Get the house in order where it really matters and don't let this be another shitfest for the all to laugh at and take advantage of

Edited by Nornirontons
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

So are they gonna still be under contract? And does nobody believe MCT should be securing there only real assets now? Surely that makes sense? McGraw regime was certainly astute in this department. No time like the present imo 

At the end of the day as things stand the only real assets MCT will have is young Lewis and Reece as things stand!

Get the house in order where it really matters and don't let this be another shitfest for the all to laugh at and take advantage of

Both are under contract until June 2022 after being given extraordinary new contracts, for longer terms than have been the norm for a long time.

The club, with MCT assistance, cannot be faulted in that regard. It clearly has been a priority.

Edited by Jamie_M