Morton Club Together Updates - Page 42 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

After this week's horror stories that's a quite encouraging statement.

This bit caught my attention; "The playing and coaching staff were asked to reduce their wages this year to assist the club. All players agreed to do this. They are a credit to Morton".

Does that mean all or some of the coaching staff refused?

And, where the fuck is the CEO? He's usually all to keen to rattle off a public statement.

On the subject of investors. They certainly existed.

I work in the world of finance and when you tell of fellow scotsmen the your a Morton supporter most look at you as if you need your head examined however every now and again you cross paths with 1 or somebody from the area.

I had a conversation with 1 of the consortium of the investors about 10-12 years ago now. A Morton supporter from childhood like myself...and its pretty much public knowledge that Dougie just didn't want people tinkering with his train set. That's cutting a considerable conversation short...but that's what it boiled down to. He didn't want to dilute his shareholdings to let others have a bit more say in how the club was run or the direction it should be taking. It's the type of conversation that you dont forget. He gave me the impression had Dougie took these guys onboard they were serious about making Morton a force in Scottish football again. 

Just wasn't meant to be back then...maybe their back? Who knows??

Edited by Nornirontons
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

I think it has been noted that 100K per month is needed to keep the light on and current levels of fan support while greatly appreciated just does not meet the need of the monthly budget.

Because of course the club doesn't already have other revenue like season tickets, streaming packages, league payments, (soon to be released government support) and merchandise sales to cover this baseline cost.

The fans are not your family's personal ATM.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Hamcam you state ‘the club and MCT need to communicate more effectively.’.

i have to say i have been impressed with MCT and their communication. They have been open, honest and transparent throughout not only this issue but since the very start of their tenure as possible future custodians of the club.

Compare  and contrast that with the radio silence from the club since the chairman’s alarming statement last week.

I understand people may be wary of embracing MCT fully. I also recognise not everyone is in a financial position in thes difficult times to pledge money.  However if you can i would encourage you to join up.

One thing seems clear and that is Morton will not survive  under the current regime. Until a white knight emerges and rescues the situation (I’m not holding my breath) then MCT may very well be the only gig in town.

1 hour ago, allyballybee said:

Hamcam you state ‘the club and MCT need to communicate more effectively.’.

i have to say i have been impressed with MCT and their communication. They have been open, honest and transparent throughout not only this issue but since the very start of their tenure as possible future custodians of the club.

Compare  and contrast that with the radio silence from the club since the chairman’s alarming statement last week.

I understand people may be wary of embracing MCT fully. I also recognise not everyone is in a financial position in thes difficult times to pledge money.  However if you can i would encourage you to join up.

One thing seems clear and that is Morton will not survive  under the current regime. Until a white knight emerges and rescues the situation (I’m not holding my breath) then MCT may very well be the only gig in town.

You set the bar low when the benchmark is the sweetie world equivalent of North Korea. I do, however, accept they are a vast improvement on what has gone before but I still believe they can do better especially if they are asking existing members to continue to stump up and at the same time encourage new members to the fold. When we are being told the club is in imminent danger of folding you have to be proactive. I do though share your concern that MCT may be the only show in town but my hands remain in my trousers as I am loathe to give another penny to the hard-up Rae family.

• Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, piehutt said:

But what Morton and MCT are not obliged to do is to respond to every rumour on twitter or in the press. 

Of course not but when the Asistant/Acting Manager, the Chairman and the media are all coming out giving it "We're doomed" the fans need someone to speak up and if the club is silent it has to be MCT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

You set the bar low when the benchmark is the sweetie world equivalent of North Korea. I do, however, accept they are a vast improvement on what has gone before but I still believe they can do better especially if they are asking existing members to continue to stump up and at the same time encourage new members to the fold. When we are being told the club is in imminent danger of folding you have to be proactive. I do though share your concern that MCT may be the only show in town but my hands remain in my trousers as I am loathe to give another penny to the hard-up Rae family.

I respect your right to make that choice. However in my mind paying a contribution to MCT does not translate to a direct payment to the Rae family at this point. 
Given  recent events I very much doubt MCT would simply hand over any new money without attempting to use it to strengthen their own hand.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, piehutt said:

The statement confirms GC will provide financial backing till the end of the season so there is no risk of us not paying players or being unable to fulfill fixtures. Perhaps there are more wages to come off, but we certainly aren't staring into the abyss as press reports and other rumours would have us believe. 

But what Morton and MCT are not obliged to do is to respond to every rumour on twitter or in the press. And they aren't obliged to provide a commentary on negotiations on the terms of the deal.  

The statement doesn't confirm that GC will do so until the end of this season: it's beyond the power of MCT to do this anyway. It supports the argument that GMFC will meet its obligations in full but that can be contrasted with last week's messaging. The proof will be what happens next.

GMFC are obliged to respond to press coverage of this intensity if they want to get their story straight and avoid spooking even the club's minor creditors. That response needs to be relatively swift and consistent with previous messaging to be a credible response. If MCT wants extra members/support to further the agenda of both parties then it to needs to keep fans sufficiently updated rather than having the guy from the Tele and Keith Jackson set the tone. This is PR 101.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 minute ago, allyballybee said:

I respect your right to make that choice. However in my mind paying a contribution to MCT does not translate to a direct payment to the Rae family at this point. 
Given  recent events I very much doubt MCT would simply hand over any new money without attempting to use it to strengthen their own hand.

MCT could allay this issue by ringfencing any new subscriptions from the capital already committed to the club (after plugging any shortfall from dumped subscriptions). I'm okay with my existing sub but reading the runes of different statements to work out the relationship between MCT and the current owners of the club is not going to sway those who have stayed distant until now.

6 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The statement doesn't confirm that GC will do so until the end of this season: it's beyond the power of MCT to do this anyway. It supports the argument that GMFC will meet its obligations in full but that can be contrasted with last week's messaging. The proof will be what happens next.

GMFC are obliged to respond to press coverage of this intensity if they want to get their story straight and avoid spooking even the club's minor creditors. That response needs to be relatively swift and consistent with previous messaging to be a credible response. If MCT wants extra members/support to further the agenda of both parties then it to needs to keep fans sufficiently updated rather than having the guy from the Tele and Keith Jackson set the tone. This is PR 101.

From the statement;

MCT has been assured by the Rae family and Golden Casket that they will continue to underwrite the financial security of the club until the end of the season.

You can believe what you want to believe but how you could read that and think GC aren't going to ensure we fulfil our obligations this season, is that you just choose not to believe it. 

• Upvote 1