Morton Club Together Updates - Page 15 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Club Together Updates

Admin

I don’t see the link though. If we were plunging huge sums of cash into the Community side then fine, but we’re not. And it’s not as if Rae or our chief exec are having to run it - it’s basically a separate entity. How would binning it leave us in any better a position?

Edited by TheGoon

Why should 'the Morton name' be attached to some volunteers rocking up at an old folks home with a football to organise a kickabout? What tangible benefit does that offer to the club? If they want to attach the club's prestigious brand to their own daft pet projects then they should be paying a pretty sum for the privilege - just like a local business would be expected to do if they were brazenly ripping off Morton's products or brand to sell their own cheap tat.

If they really want to enhance Morton's place in the community and contribute something meaningful, then they should distribute tickets, merchandise etc. to the most deserving members of the community - and pay the club for the privilege. But that solid and obviously beneficial idea just doesn't have the same bleeding heart story or zany ring to it as under-12s gender awareness futsal does, so instead the club gets nothing in return for this total waste of time.

Lastly, if everything at the club was good or at very least stable, then this wouldn't be a big issue at all. GMFC however is a failing, midtable, second tier football club, run by a disinterested holding company and with more than £2 million of debt on its books. Indeed the last set of accounts specifically raised concerns about the club's going concern status in the near future. But instead of committing time, energy and fresh ideas to resolving that problem, people are too busy rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic in the hope that it'll look a wee bit nicer when it all sinks to the bottom of the fucking sea. 

Enough of this nonsense.

Still though, it's nice that you notice.

• Upvote 1

Was the hike in prices really an own goal? The price is largely in line with most teams. Only looks bad becsuse of last years ridiculously cheap prices.

The real own goal was no early bird offer.

Most other teams are not guilt tripping fans into pledging an extra £120 a year onto a different scheme at the same time. I put the back of a fag packet calculations up on the season ticket thread, but setting a season ticket price of £250 would IMO make the additional pledge far, far more palatable - and if you can get a higher uptake of both then the club would stand to earn more money from it as well. Right now, the club wants to have its cake and eat it, which is why capitanus' point about why not just buy a season ticket and expect a decent side anyway is a valid point and really has no good answer to it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Why should 'the Morton name' be attached to some volunteers rocking up at an old folks home with a football to organise a kickabout? What tangible benefit does that offer to the club? If they want to attach the club's prestigious brand to their own daft pet projects then they should be paying a pretty sum for the privilege - just like a local business would be expected to do if they were brazenly ripping off Morton's products or brand to sell their own cheap tat.

If they really want to enhance Morton's place in the community and contribute something meaningful, then they should distribute tickets, merchandise etc. to the most deserving members of the community - and pay the club for the privilege. But that solid and obviously beneficial idea just doesn't have the same bleeding heart story or zany ring to it as under-12s gender awareness futsal does, so instead the club gets nothing in return for this total waste of time.

Lastly, if everything at the club was good or at very least stable, then this wouldn't be a big issue at all. GMFC however is a failing, midtable, second tier football club, run by a disinterested holding company and with more than £2 million of debt on its books. Indeed the last set of accounts specifically raised concerns about the club's going concern status in the near future. But instead of committing time, energy and fresh ideas to resolving that problem, people are too busy rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic in the hope that it'll look a wee bit nicer when it all sinks to the bottom of the fucking sea. 

Enough of this nonsense.

It simply makes sense for Morton to be synonymous with football in the local community, and given that actually rocking up to games on a Saturday afternoon is always going to be a minority pursuit, that means getting people involved in other ways - mostly through participation - in the hope that this generates goodwill and in turn can lead to a modest improvement elsewhere. And while it's unlikely, there could be a path for decent players to come through the CT's various coaching initiatives into the club proper. It's just very hard for me to see a downside unless the club is spending a lot of money on it, which I don't think they are.

No disagreement that the club itself has a brass neck crowing about it when they need to get their own house in order but that isn't a reason to throw the genderfluid, futsal-playing baby out with the bathwater.

The main complaint I have is that - predictably - it's a shapeshifting organization, which is an "arm" of the club when convenient, and completely and totally separate with nothing to do with them when it's not. But, again, this is hardly a dealbreaker.

EOho8Pw.png

I don’t see the link though. If we were plunging huge sums of cash into the Community side then fine, but we’re not. And it’s not as if Rae or our chief exec are having to run it - it’s basically a separate entity. How would binning it leave us in any better a position?

If they want to keep running it then they should be paying the club for the privilege of using its brand and/or they should be carrying out projects like ticket and merchandise schemes that actually earn real, actual money for the club. Otherwise it should be detached from the club and they can continue their daft projects to nobody else's concern at all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Why though? What harm is it doing? As TRVMP says I don’t like the fact Morton themselves can wheel it out to show the progress the club’s making when nothing positive is happening on the pitch - but aside from that, who’s arsed? Our “brand” is worth jack shit as well.

It simply makes sense for Morton to be synonymous with football in the local community

I fail to see how Morton are not already synonymous with football in the local community. This is not some jumped-up, Cumbernauld Colts or Cove Rangers we're talking about here: Morton has always been a major institution in Greater Greenock. Its presence is underpinned by wall to wall coverage in a local newspaper that is somehow still thriving despite having heehaw content in it most days of the year. You can point to as many Old Firm buses traipsing out the town as you want - they all know who Morton are; they just couldn't give a toss about the club. There is no evidence that anything that the CT and its daft projects does will either stop the same groups travelling to watch larger clubs in Scotland or grow up following Europe's superclubs.

Wasting time and effort to foster intangible 'goodwill' really should not be a priority when the club is heading towards admin no. 2 for the century unless serious issues are overcome.

Edited by vikingTON

If they want to keep running it then they should be paying the club for the privilege of using its brand and/or they should be carrying out projects like ticket and merchandise schemes that actually earn real, actual money for the club. Otherwise it should be detached from the club and they can continue their daft projects to nobody else's concern at all. 

The community trust does pay the club for use of Cappielow (offices and facilty space) which takes account too of the general use of the brand. That's all done at a commercial rate in line with e.g. local office accommodation rates.

As to the ticket/merch thing. Personally, I think that's a bad idea and not the best use of the community trust's resources. I can't see anyone supporting the idea of, say, abandoning a successful income generating/job sustaining programme that, say, helps the most disadvantaged people into work (something which, in no small part thanks to the football link/club brand, we've been very successful at doing) in order to raise relatively small amounts of money for the benefit of a private company.

Edited by cmdc

I fail to see how Morton are not already synonymous with football in the local community. This is not some jumped-up, Cumbernauld Colts or Cove Rangers we're talking about here: Morton has always been a major institution in Greater Greenock. Its presence is underpinned by wall to wall coverage in a local newspaper that is somehow still thriving despite having heehaw content in it most days of the year. You can point to as many Old Firm buses traipsing out the town as you want - they all know who Morton are; they just couldn't give a toss about the club. There is no evidence that anything that the CT and its daft projects does will either stop the same groups travelling to watch larger clubs in Scotland or grow up following Europe's superclubs.

Wasting time and effort to foster intangible 'goodwill' really should not be a priority when the club is heading towards admin no. 2 for the century unless serious issues are overcome.

For years Morton had no meaningful youth setup for anyone, either kids who just want to play recreationally or those who are going to play seriously, perhaps even with an eye on going pro. Now they have both, and the former is largely down to the CT. That's the kind of synonymy I'm talking about. You can say those things don't matter and I won't try to change your mind, but as long as it's not costing the club, as far as I'm concerned it's a modest yet impressive bonus.

And those who follow European superclubs can still be coaxed to get involved, since often those clubs are playing at completely different times and will be watched on TV/phone/whatever.

No argument here that the club itself needs to focus on righting what is still a listing ship, but the MCT is not contradictory with that at all, from what I can see.

EOho8Pw.png

Why though? What harm is it doing? 

There's this thing called 'opportunity cost', which handily explains why wasting time and effort on under 12s futsal is probably not the best use of often well-qualified but time-strapped volunteers when your football club is circling the drain. 

If it doesn't generate this football club some hard revenue right now then it should not be a priority. I'd save organising the happy-clappy, kumbaya rallies until we're in the top flight and financially stable - then they can do whatever the fuck they like tbh. 

Our “brand” is worth jack shit as well.

I can see you making a fine replacement for Iron Man one day with that level of analysis. A brand is only worth jack shit if you let people freeride on it for nothing. The brand and the club is worth enough for GC to continually sponsor their shite sweets on the tops for twenty years (despite rumours of other companies being interested) and it's worth enough for sponsors to peddle their own brands on four sides of the ground. 

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The Community Trust just does stuff that the Council should be doing, but can't be arsed.

That's unfair, I think. Council budgets are squeezed tight and also the football link often means we can access groups more broadly or deeply than the council is able to. It's a mutually beneficial thing.

Edited by cmdc
  • Upvote 1

No argument here that the club itself needs to focus on righting what is still a listing ship, but the MCT is not contradictory with that at all, from what I can see.

MCT has done far more in a couple of months to secure the future of this club than the Community Trust has since its creation, because for all the faults you can pick in its pitch, the website etc. it is actually focused on the urgent priority facing the club in years to come. Which makes you wonder where we might be right now had all the resources of the fanbase been pushing in a similar direction ever since the Supporters Trust failed. 

Edited by vikingTON

There's this thing called 'opportunity cost', which handily explains why wasting time and effort on under 12s futsal is probably not the best use of often well-qualified but time-strapped volunteers when your football club is circling the drain. 

If it doesn't generate this football club some hard revenue right now then it should not be a priority. I'd save organising the happy-clappy, kumbaya rallies until we're in the top flight and financially stable - then they can do whatever the fuck they like tbh. 

I can see you making a fine replacement for Iron Man one day with that level of analysis. A brand is only worth jack shit if you let people freeride on it for nothing. The brand and the club is worth enough for GC to continually sponsor their shite sweets on the tops for twenty years (despite rumours of other companies being interested) and it's worth enough for sponsors to peddle their own brands on four sides of the ground. 

If there is an opportunity cost at all it is a very, very small one. There is very little cross-over in terms of e.g. staff time/effort (the most I can think of off the top of my head is that Jonathan will be typically helpful in terms of publicity etc). And given that the community trust pays the club at a commercial rate for the space that it uses (space that I doubt very much would otherwise attract commercial use), that very, very small opportunity cost would almost certainly be justified.

Edited by cmdc

That's unfair, I think. Council budgets are squeezed tight and also the football link often means we can access groups more broadl or deeply than the council is able to. It's a mutually beneficial thing.

What does that even mean?

Council budgets are squeezed ever so tight so it is best to get a bunch of middle managers from the poverty-worshipping Social Enterprise sector to make a good living out of it?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

What does that even mean?

Council budgets are squeezed ever so tight so it is best to get a bunch of middle managers from the poverty-worshipping Social Enterprise sector to make a good living out of it?

No.