The Beer Thread - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Beer Thread

TheGoon

Heverlee (pronounced 'haver-lay' and named after the suburb of Leuven where I work and used to live, funnily enough - though it's not brewed there) is brewed specifically for the Scottish and Irish markets. If you asked for it in any bar in Belgium you'd be met with a blank stare. I think Hej alludes to my previous post, it's a shame that most people in the UK's exposure to Belgian beer is limited to a small number of mass produced beers. I think if he actually came here and tried any of the myriad of really nice beers on offer he'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Brel on Ashton Lane has a good selection of Belgian beers.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brel on Ashton Lane has a good selection of Belgian beers.

Indeed, just checked their beer menu, not a bad selection at all! A couple of beers listed in my original post are on it (St Bernardus Abt 12 & Kwak). Orval, Rochefort 10 and any of the Chimays are also a good shout. Never tried the Westvleteren 12 - amazed it's on the list to be honest as it's pretty hard to find even in Belgium - but I've been reliably informed that it's spectacular. It also has a 4.54/5 average score on Untappd, which is exceptionally high. Definitely on my bucket list!

https://untappd.com/b/brouwerij-de-sint-sixtusabdij-van-westvleteren-trappist-westvleteren-12/4680

The best* part about Brel is that you get to have Belgian beer without having to travel to their total bin of a country. 

* only good, as Ashton Lane is a pretentious shitehole

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

A local bar 5 minutes walk from my place has 20 beers on draft, and more than 500 in bottles from over 150 breweries. Don't think I'll live long enough to try them all, but I'm giving it a go! :)

https://thebeercapital.be/file/place-7029-qsxniouqkl.pdf

The best* part about Brel is that you get to have Belgian beer without having to travel to their total bin of a country.

* only good, as Ashton Lane is a pretentious shitehole

I assume you don’t like the Ubiquitous Chip? It’s the Cafe Continental of Ashton Lane! Think I saw Clydeview in there!

Indeed, just checked their beer menu, not a bad selection at all! A couple of beers listed in my original post are on it (St Bernardus Abt 12 & Kwak). Orval, Rochefort 10 and any of the Chimays are also a good shout. Never tried the Westvleteren 12 - amazed it's on the list to be honest as it's pretty hard to find even in Belgium - but I've been reliably informed that it's spectacular. It also has a 4.54/5 average score on Untappd, which is exceptionally high. Definitely on my bucket list!

https://untappd.com/b/brouwerij-de-sint-sixtusabdij-van-westvleteren-trappist-westvleteren-12/4680

Food in Brel is alright too, beer garden is excellent.

Inn Deep is absolutely awful. Seems to attract the very worst of the West End and constantly smells like wet dog. Unless it’s part of a subcrawl or it’s a sunny day and you can get outside, avoid.

Inn Deep is absolutely awful. Seems to attract the very worst of the West End and constantly smells like wet dog. Unless it’s part of a subcrawl or it’s a sunny day and you can get outside, avoid.

Disagree, has a good selection of beer, although I must confess I’m a wine drinker first and foremost. Food is decent too.

Agree with you about the dogs. Not a fan of venues which serve food allowing dogs in.

Disagree, has a good selection of beer, although I must confess I’m a wine drinker first and foremost. Food is decent too.

Agree with you about the dogs. Not a fan of venues which serve food allowing dogs in.

I booked a table one time under the name of the "Real IRA". This country.

Inn Deep is shite though. Wanky pub with wanky pints and wanky people. 

AWMSC

Food in Brel is alright too, beer garden is excellent.

Agree, good food and a great selection of draught and bottled beer, though the Westvleteren 12 at £20 a bottle is to be avoided. 

As for Great Western Rd. Munro's and The Belle are good pubs and Valhalla's Goat is the best off licence in Glasgow, probably Scotland.

Agree, good food and a great selection of draught and bottled beer, though the Westvleteren 12 at £20 a bottle is to be avoided.

As for Great Western Rd. Munro's and The Belle are good pubs and Valhalla's Goat is the best off licence in Glasgow, probably Scotland.

The Belle is nice. Choice of beer is quite limited though. Munro’s is better, bit further away from my residence - Excalibur House - though!

Valhalla’s Goat is indeed excellent. Visit it on a weekly basis. Choice of wine is brilliant, my favourite, Rolly Gassman Gewürztraminer is stocked! Decent selection of beer and whisky as well.

Archived