General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 36 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Interesting video, mismanaged to a level matched only by us it would appear. Interesting comment about them being 100% fan owned, as opposed to the 50% plus 1 share model adopted by most of the big German clubs, as being part of the problem.

I watched their game at Augsburg this afternoon out of interest, they almost got their first win of the season but conceded an equaliser in the 93rd minute. A real boot in the haw-maws for them that.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody watching the Libertadores semi final between River Plate and Palmeiras? BBC iPlayer and red button.

Currently 1-0 at half time in the first leg in Buenos Aries to Palmeiras after being totally dominated by River, but a goalkeeping howler that would put Sam Ramsbottom to shame has given them the lead, which they would have doubled a minute or so later were it not for an offside call.

The second semi final between Boca Juniors and Santos at La Bombonera is also being shown by the BBC, at 10.15 tonight.

One question to anyone (okay, TRVMP) who might know, why are River playing their home game at what appears to be Independiente’s ground, rather than El Monumental?

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Anybody watching the Libertadores semi final between River Plate and Palmeiras? BBC iPlayer and red button.

Currently 1-0 at half time in the first leg in Buenos Aries to Palmeiras after being totally dominated by River, but a goalkeeping howler that would put Sam Ramsbottom to shame has given them the lead, which they would have doubled a minute or so later were it not for an offside call.

The second semi final between Boca Juniors and Santos at La Bombonera is also being shown by the BBC, at 10.15 tonight.

One question to anyone (okay, TRVMP) who might know, why are River playing their home game at what appears to be Independiente’s ground, rather than El Monumental?

Pitch is being relaid and there's some construction going on, so they're also playing the Copa Diego Armando Maradona (effectively the League Cup) games there. Not sure when there'll be back at the Monumental. Seems to have gone very quiet there, actually. But you'd assume they'd be back in time for the regular League season.

Either way, I didn't watch the game but Palmeiras apparently ran rampant and you'd expect them to finish the job back in Sao Paulo.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

7 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Pitch is being relaid and there's some construction going on, so they're also playing the Copa Diego Armando Maradona (effectively the League Cup) games there. Not sure when there'll be back at the Monumental. Seems to have gone very quiet there, actually. But you'd assume they'd be back in time for the regular League season.

Either way, I didn't watch the game but Palmeiras apparently ran rampant and you'd expect them to finish the job back in Sao Paulo.

Yeah they scored early in the second half to kill the game before River got a boy sent off for kicking out and they added a third. Pretty much the perfect away performance for a first leg tie from them, and everything that could go wrong for River Plate, did.

River were apparently tournament favourites, so I’d suspect it was an off night at the worst time possible and they’ll put on a better showing in Brazil, but they can forget about progressing to the final, that ship has well and truly sailed.

0-0 at HT between Boca and Santos. Not watching it coz I'm finishing up work but apparently a very cagey game thus far.

And it's the Fla-Flu derby in Brazil in just over an hour. We're spoiled rotten today. Will watch that one for sure.

EOho8Pw.png

9 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

0-0 at HT between Boca and Santos. Not watching it coz I'm finishing up work but apparently a very cagey game thus far.

And it's the Fla-Flu derby in Brazil in just over an hour. We're spoiled rotten today. Will watch that one for sure.

Not been much happening, to be honest, certainly in comparison to last night’s treat. A decent chance for Boca in the first couple of minutes of the second half there, so hopefully that’s a sign of things to come.

La Bombonera’s the ground I’ve not visited that I’d love to go to above all others- like everywhere else, it’s shite seeing it empty just now, but I’d love to go to a game in front of a full house there.

I used to work with a guy who's a season ticket holder there. All the stories are true, apparently, the way the terracing tiers bounce when the crowd is jumping. Definitely one-of-a-kind.

I was idly talking to another guy I know in Argentina a few years ago, he's a big Racing fan, and I asked him if he ever went to lower-league games elsewhere in the BA area. He thought I was nuts for even suggesting it. He said the major team grounds can get a bit hairy but there's security there and plenty of "normal" fans, but once you get down to two-men-and-a-dug territory it's 90% barra brava and criminal gangs, and normal people just don't go to those games. Bit of a reversal from most countries, I'd have thought. If you show up at a random game in a British village you'd probably get offered a cup of tea if you weren't a local. In Buenos Aires you're apparently offered a knife.

He was an English expat so I don't know if he had his finger correctly on the pulse. He did speak Spanish like a local and was fully integrated etc, followed Racing religiously, so he wasn't a total outsider, but frankly it seemed exaggerated.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Changed my mind (coz I can't get a good Chromecastable stream) - watching Velez-Lanus in the Sudamericana instead. Really cagey so far. 

Velez's current boss is Mauricio Pellegrini, who had a poor spell at Southampton. He took over from Gabriel Heinze, who had a successful three-year spell before joining Atlanta in MLS.

EOho8Pw.png

That match was a total non-event. The penalty (and resulting redemptive save from the Lanus 'keeper) and goal aside, it was a total snoozefest. 

I'll probably miss the first half but tomorrow is the unusual matchup in the other Sudamericana semi - Coquimbo Unido against Defensa y Justicia. This would be roughly equivalent to a Europa League semi-final between Caen and Norwich City, or maybe Karlsruhe and NAC Breda. You get the picture. A yoyo team from a major league and a mid-table team from a mid-ranked country.

EOho8Pw.png

On 1/7/2021 at 3:01 AM, TRVMP said:

That match was a total non-event. The penalty (and resulting redemptive save from the Lanus 'keeper) and goal aside, it was a total snoozefest. 

I'll probably miss the first half but tomorrow is the unusual matchup in the other Sudamericana semi - Coquimbo Unido against Defensa y Justicia. This would be roughly equivalent to a Europa League semi-final between Caen and Norwich City, or maybe Karlsruhe and NAC Breda. You get the picture. A yoyo team from a major league and a mid-table team from a mid-ranked country.

Or North Norfolk Digital and STV Ayrshire competing at the BAFTA's. 

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Second leg of Santos-Boca kicking off in 15 minutes. First leg finished 0-0. The winner joins Palmeiras in the final. River went in 2-0 up at half time in the second leg of contest in Sao Paulo, but couldn't finish the job and were eliminated 3-2 on aggregate.

The final will be at an empty Maracana on the 30th of this month.

Later tonight is the second leg of the first Sudamericana semi. In last week's snoozefest Lanus won 1-0 at Velez; they will now look to protect the lead barely 10 miles away at home.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Only got in for the tail end of last night’s game after work- it was great viewing, River Plate, down to ten men threw the kitchen sink at Palmeiras and could feel really hard done to that they didn’t get a couple of penalties at least.

Good start to tonight’s game with Santos hitting the post within 30 seconds.

There was also a flare on the pitch just before kickoff. Pretty funny for a closed stadium.

Santos 1-0 up there but they can count themselves a little lucky. Pituca was appealing for a handball when he should have been attacking the ball, but the Boca 'keeper was all at sea anyway so Pituca was able to regain his composure and roll it in.

EOho8Pw.png