General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 44 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

If a team voluntarily concedes a goal and that then materially effects the outcome of the game, then for sure it could be considered a possible match fixing issue. Maybe not in this particular case as Rangers went on to win anyway, but if this were to become a commonplace practice in the game it could most definitely be open to abuse.

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

If a team voluntarily concedes a goal and that then materially effects the outcome of the game, then for sure it could be considered a possible match fixing issue. Maybe not in this particular case as Rangers went on to win anyway, but if this were to become a commonplace practice in the game it could most definitely be open to abuse.

Regardless of the result, there can still easily be elements of match fixing involved, though.

Someone might have made a few quid off Tiffoney to score anytime, or over 4.5 goals in the game, whilst there’ll also be losers on bets that were adversely affected by the goal.

Whilst it didn’t directly affect the winner of the tie, and it could be argued that that’s the risk that folk take by gambling, I think it’s not unreasonable that they place their bets in good faith that one of the teams aren’t going to deliberately chuck in a goal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toby said:

Regardless of the result, there can still easily be elements of match fixing involved, though.

Someone might have made a few quid off Tiffoney to score anytime, or over 4.5 goals in the game, whilst there’ll also be losers on bets that were adversely affected by the goal.

Whilst it didn’t directly affect the winner of the tie, and it could be argued that that’s the risk that folk take by gambling, I think it’s not unreasonable that they place their bets in good faith that one of the teams aren’t going to deliberately chuck in a goal.

Completely agree, there are indeed multiple possible betting implications from deliberately conceding a goal. While I'm sure in this case there was no match fixing intentions, could you say the same if it happened in a Slovenian 2nd division game, for example. It's opening a can of worms.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Completely agree, there are indeed multiple possible betting implications from deliberately conceding a goal. While I'm sure in this case there was no match fixing intentions, could you say the same if it happened in a Slovenian 2nd division game, for example. It's opening a can of worms.

Or could a Slovenian who is gambling on a game in Scotland between a club which is well known across the world and unbeaten in months and a team that is in the second tier of Scotland’s domestic league and has recently lost two two of the worst teams in said division at home be quite so confident that there was no jiggery-pokery?

If you read the (excellent) article on this very website, you’ll note that there is a history of wheeling and dealing between Partick and the old Rangers in this very competition, which may or may not have involved brown envelopes ahead of the 1922 semi final, a match which Rangers won, before going on to be SWORDED in the final.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm not saying it's impossible, nor that it doesn't affect gamblers. I'm sure a lot of people had Rangers to win by 2 or more, and this act of quote-unquote fair play would have gubbed that bet. What I'm saying is that match fixing is a very unlikely scenario for this simply because it's such a noticable way of doing it.

EOho8Pw.png

That would probably be the case at the top level where there are multiple TV camera from all angles, so getting away with it as a method of match-fixing would be very difficult, I agree. And of course, players and mangers at that level would be far less likely to get involved in that as they're already very well rewarded financially, and it would be mad for them to jeopardise that.

But if it's generally accepted as a part of the game to deliberately concede a goal as an act of sportsmanship, it may not always be easy to differentiate between genuine sportsmanship and skullduggery if it's at a lower level where there will be much less scrutiny and analysis. And of course the financial rewards for match-fixing at that level is going to be much more tempting for players and managers alike.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

That's fair, but again it's the thin end of the wedge - there's also far less scrutiny of the far more easily-achieved spot betting markets like first booking and so on. I'm not saying this is a 0% concern, but any weak point in the chain (e.g. lack of cameras) is going to be far more easily exploited by things that happen each and every week.

EOho8Pw.png

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2022 at 10:57 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Finished 4-2 to Antwerp, well deserved to be fair, they were quite impressive. If you're a betting man put a tenner on them winning the league, they're a very decent outside bet. 

So, as a result of Genk spectacularly bottling after the league split, it goes right to the wire on Sunday with a winner takes all match between Royal Antwerp and Union St Gilloise. Either way, it will be Royal Antwerp's first title since season 1956-57, or USG's first since 1934-35. 

If Antwerp do end up as champions, I'll be expecting a pint from anyone who took my advice above, the next time I'm back over the road.

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

On 5/25/2023 at 9:05 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

So, as a result of Genk spectacularly bottling after the league split, it goes right to the wire on Sunday with a winner takes all match between Royal Antwerp and Union St Gilloise. Either way, it will be Royal Antwerp's first title since season 1956-57, or USG's first since 1934-35. 

If Antwerp do end up as champions, I'll be expecting a pint from anyone who took my advice above, the next time I'm back over the road.

Only found out last Friday that in fact this wasn't in fact the last game of the season, d'oh! What a fanny.

So, anyway, Antwerp were 1 up and cruising against 10 man Union, and if it had stayed that way they would have been champions, but Union equalised with their only shot on target in the whole game, aided by a wicked deflection. So it now goes into the actual final game this weekend, with Genk now back in the mix (Antwerp and Union both have 46 points and Genk have 45)

14 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Toby Alderweireld with the goal, very nicely taken.

Aye, it was some strike. Just missed the goal live as I had turned it over to watch the penalty shoot-out at Dingwall. Guy I work with is a Genk fan, and to say he was gutted this morning is an understatement.

• Upvote 1

With all of the elation and hilarity at Partick Thistle being shite and staying down I almost forgot my annual laugh at Hamburg fucking things up in the Bundesliga play-offs.  Again.

So here goes...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by capitanus
  • Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

• 1 month later...

Watching Corinthians-Newells in the Copa Sudamericana and my wife says "what does that banner mean? Autistas Alvinegros?"

Turns it it's what it says it is, black-and-white autistic people. It's the first official ultras group for people on the autism spectrum in Brazil That's pretty cool

EOho8Pw.png

• 3 weeks later...

To update our semi-regular feature of 'Poland: the true laughing stock, diddy league of Europe', Lech Poznan slumped to a second leg defeat and exit in the Conference League to Spartak Trnava from Slovakia last night. A mere 8x smaller neighbour, dishing out a swording to the Poland's top-ranked UEFA crack entrants. 

Meanwhile a glorified bus stop (stadium capacity: 5,500) is busy representing the country as its league champion from last season, as Poland (40 million+ population) continues to defy all iron laws of demographic and economic scale in professional football.

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• 3 months later...

The Swiss League is good for a laugh this season. 

Young Boys are likely to go four points clear after their gamne in hand, but Zurich, St. Gallen and Servette aren't far behind.

But it's at the bottom where the drama is. Basel are on just eight points and at the bottom of the table, two points behind "Lausanne Ouchy", which is a hilarious name so I hope they stay up. Basel won eight consecutive titles, ending in 2017, and since then have been slowly sliding into the Europa League slots. Young Boys have won most titles, and Zurich one as well.

There's a lot of mess going on behind the scenes at Basel but it's not really clear how they managed to blow all that Champions League money so spectacularly.

The best part is that in October they didn't award their goal of the month prize due to not scoring any.

They did beat Yverdon 2-1 a couple of weeks ago but a 4-1 thumping at Servette saw normal service resumed.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png