General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing - Page 42 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

General Football - Weird Results And Other Things Worth Sharing

TRVMP

Took a glance at the 2. Bundesliga table just there.

image.png

Got to wonder, when was the last time St. Pauli finished above HSV?

That little triad of HSV, Schalke, and Bremen sitting mid-table is very odd on the eye. Hannover struggling near the bottom is weird too. Relatively small clubs like Regensburg and Paderborn doing well, and Darmstadt as well, unusual.

St. Pauli are running away with it but there are some real giants further down that division.

EOho8Pw.png

• 1 month later...

Interesting video on the signing policy that has launched erstwhile wee diddy club Union Saint-Gilloise (the Partick Thistle of Brussels) to the top of the Belgian Jupiler League. Not convinced they'll still be there at the end of the season, I suspect Club Brugge will overtake them, but their rise has nevertheless been astonishing. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 8:51 PM, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Interesting video on the signing policy that has launched erstwhile wee diddy club Union Saint-Gilloise (the Partick Thistle of Brussels) to the top of the Belgian Jupiler League. Not convinced they'll still be there at the end of the season, I suspect Club Brugge will overtake them, but their rise has nevertheless been astonishing. 

Despite beating city rivals Anderlecht yet again today for the 4th time this season, Club Brugge have pipped Union St Gilloise for the title...... just as I predicted above, yay me!

Nevertheless, it was some achievement for them to take it right to the wire, not entirely dissimilar to Arbroath this season in fact. Call me old fashioned, but I think it's a breath of fresh air when wee diddy clubs compete toe-to-toe against clubs with much more resources and money, and give them a run for their money. Gives me hope that one day the mighty Ton might do the same. If you'd told me at the start of the season that Union St Gilloise would finish 2nd in the league I'd have said you were crazy, so you never know, 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

Yeah it's a decent story n'at but unlike Arbroath USG have a ton of money because they're owned by the Brighton owner, who also shipped them the Turkish guy who scored about a hundred goals.

EOho8Pw.png

17 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Yeah it's a decent story n'at but unlike Arbroath USG have a ton of money because they're owned by the Brighton owner, who also shipped them the Turkish guy who scored about a hundred goals.

Indeed, that's all explained in the video posted in January. Nevertheless, their budget was still lower than Anderlecht, Club Brugge, Standard, Ghent, Royal Antwerp end Genk, and they still outperformed all but one of them. 

Edited by Cet Homme Charmant

Bit of a random one, this. The AFC Cup is, roughly speaking, the Asian equivalent of the Europa League. Second-tier countries that don't do well in the AFC Champions League enter their teams here.

India has the Indian Super League, the new, franchise-based competition with foreign marquee players, and run by a separate management company. But it also has the I-League, a much older league (at fourteen years), run directly by the AIFF, their national FA. Next year the I-League will drop down to become the second tier below the ISL, but right now it is officially a parallel competition.

The ISL clearly is bigger and has more money. East Bengal and Mohun Bagan - the biggest teams in the I-League and effectively the Celtic and Rangers of Kolkata - left to join it last year, Mohun Bagan merging with Atletico Kolkata to form ATK Mohun Bagan. That means what's left behind in the I-League is a bit of a rump.

In the AFC Cup, then, when defending I-League champions Gokulam Kerala took on ATK, this was expected to be a rout, particularly since it was played in Kolkata and not Kerala.

But Gokulam won 4-2:
https://us.soccerway.com/matches/2022/05/18/asia/afc-cup/gokulam/atk-mohun-bagan/3753648/

Effectively speaking, the second division champions beat one of the top teams in the top flight in European competition. It'd be like Blackburn beating Chelsea in the Europa League or something.

EOho8Pw.png

Hot on the heels of Hamburg and Inverness getting bodied in their play-offs on Monday, it was delightful to see the financially doped Wrexham and Darvel missing out on promotion from their respective leagues today.

It would be a real shame if another odious club was to miss out on their big day, today.

Hala Madrid.

59 minutes ago, Toby said:

Hot on the heels of Hamburg and Inverness getting bodied in their play-offs on Monday, it was delightful to see the financially doped Wrexham and Darvel missing out on promotion from their respective leagues today.

It would be a real shame if another odious club was to miss out on their big day, today.

Hala Madrid.

I'm confused.  Do you genuinely think that Liverpool are more financially doped than Real?  I want Real to win tonight, but their finances are a joke.  And they were the prime movers behind the super league to avoid sharing revenue with the "little" Spanish clubs.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

15 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

I'm confused.  Do you genuinely think that Liverpool are more financially doped than Real?  I want Real to win tonight, but their finances are a joke.  And they were the prime movers behind the super league to avoid sharing revenue with the "little" Spanish clubs.

No, I never mentioned financial doping with Liverpool. I just said they’re odious.

12 minutes ago, Toby said:

No, I never mentioned financial doping with Liverpool. I just said they’re odious.

fair enough.  Both clubs tonight are fairly odious.  A bit like deciding who your favourite serial killer is.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

22 minutes ago, TAFKAC said:

fair enough.  Both clubs tonight are fairly odious.  A bit like deciding who your favourite serial killer is.

Yeah, I don’t disagree. Liverpool are a bit closer to home though.

Now that the Champions League final is out of the way: tomorrow night at 2am UK time is the final of the Mexican Clausura. Pachuca, 2-0 down from the first leg, host Atlas.

I want Atlas to finish the job because a few weeks ago I booked a trip to Mexico City, expecting Club America to be in the final, but Pachuca beat them. I was going to go to the game at the Azteca. (I don't support America, but it's much easier to get to than Pachuca.)

EOho8Pw.png

Game on in Hidalgo. Absolute pearler from Romario Ibarra with Pachuca's first chance of the game. 1-0 to Tuzos on the night, 1-2 on aggregate. 

There's a very healthy away support from Atlas, considering they're very much the second club of Guadalajara and, while historic, not a hugely popular team. But today in the historic center of CDMX, Atlas won the shirt count by 10 to 1. (Oddly enough, Necaxa were second, not Club America.)

EOho8Pw.png

Pachuca were denied what looked like a penalty to me by VAR midway through the first half. But Atlas were just given theirs - correctly.

The TV cameras are zoomed in on a hot girl in the crowd with an Atlas shirt who is facing away because she can't bear to look. She needn't have bothered. 1-1 - nicely struck by Julio Furch. Furch, an Argentine (needless to say, of German extraction) is out of contract after this fixture. It is rumored that, should Atlas lose, he'll leave for Club America. If they win, he'll stay, even though he could earn far more at the Azteca.

Just the nine minutes of stoppage time in the first half.

I'm watching the second half in my hotel room due to a comedy of errors in trying to watch the game in a public setting. Went into a restaurant at 7:30 intending to watch it there; turns out they didn't have the pay TV channel, so I wolfed down my meal then power-walked back to my hotel. The rooftop bar - of which I was the only customer - couldn't get the satellite TV to work, so I watched it on my phone, politely, for the first half.

I could go out to the Salon Corona ten minutes' walk away, where it'll definitely be on, but it's like drinking in a dentist's waiting room. I'll just get hammered on me own.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

In the ninth minute of first half stoppage time, a wonderful deep cross from Víctor Guzmán finds Nico Ibáñez at the far post. He loses his marker and loops a header past Vargas.

2-1 on the night, 2-3 on aggregate.

If anyone's awake you should really be watching this, superb game so far.

EOho8Pw.png