Dunfermline Vs Morton Match Thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dunfermline Vs Morton Match Thread

TheGoon

Won every game at home bar 1.

Decent point

Don’t get me wrong I’d have taken a point before kick off but felt the game was there for the taking but Duffy seemed happy to sit in for the draw.

Thought Doyle put in a much better performance tonight and Luca did well. Gary Oliver did well playing up front on his own pretty much since McHugh did heehaw.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have won that but the result is fine all things considered. We need to be putting Falkirk and Brechin away and if we take the six points we should from those we're doing okay. If we lose one of them there'll be some cause for concern but as mediocre as we continue to be we should have enough about us to stay clear of those two.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I remember when Lamie signed, I thought it was a panic signing, a League One jobber who even Duffy didn't rate, hence the six month deal. After a tough time at left back Duffy kept faith in him, gave him a new deal, primarily played him in the middle and the rest is history. I'm a little embarrassed looking back at how much vitriol I spewed over this signing since he's turned out to be very effective at Championship level. So, well done to Lamie, and also to Duffy, who clearly dies know a central defender when he sees one.

EOho8Pw.png

I remember when Lamie signed, I thought it was a panic signing, a League One jobber who even Duffy didn't rate, hence the six month deal. After a tough time at left back Duffy kept faith in him, gave him a new deal, primarily played him in the middle and the rest is history. I'm a little embarrassed looking back at how much vitriol I spewed over this signing since he's turned out to be very effective at Championship level. So, well done to Lamie, and also to Duffy, who clearly dies know a central defender when he sees one.

Spot on. Ricki has been tremendous. How did Luca play tonight?

I’d like to think that when he leaves Morton he’ll be well received on any return. Obviously I’m not expecting snake behaviour like McManus, but if he was to come back with say, Motherwell or Ross County, I’d hope he’d get the courtesy his service and efforts deserve.

There are very few guys to have played for Morton who I’d buy a pint for if I met them in a pub. The Handsome Hero is one of them.

Poor game of football with the wind not helping either side play their natural passing game. At first, we struggled with the 3-5-2 but gradually improved as the team realised Dunfermline are rancid. Cannot fathom what our game plan was for the most part we just lumped up high hopeful balls to two lads who lack height and pace. Our goal was a bit of a gift but as we are coming up to Christmas it was only fair as we gave Dunfermline their present first. Numerous passengers in the Morton team again - what has happened to Forbes? Doyle remains an ever-willing runner but has little ability. McHugh is a finisher but other than that is more often than not a passenger. Russell is just frustrating. Lamie, Luca, Murdoch and Baldy were the best on the night where the highlight was a visit to McDs on the way home.

As for Oliver heading the ball off the line to deny us a winner - brain dead football - the boys must be back playing naked table tennis in training. 

Don’t get me wrong I’d have taken a point before kick off but felt the game was there for the taking but Duffy seemed happy to sit in for the draw.

Thought Doyle put in a much better performance tonight and Luca did well. Gary Oliver did well playing up front on his own pretty much since McHugh did heehaw.

That's one of duffys main downfalls. Too often he sits in to defend a draw or a one goal lead rather than going for it.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

That's one of duffys main downfalls. Too often he sits in to defend a draw or a one goal lead rather than going for it.

I’m not so sure about that - his body language when we sit in isn’t normally of someone who is particularly happy to be doing it!

I’m not so sure about that - his body language when we sit in isn’t normally of someone who is particularly happy to be doing it!

Why do we do it so often then?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

In the first half we really struggled in defence, particularly when the ball was turned over quickly. Doyle and Russell were leaving far too much space behind them when supporting attacks (which was not their fault). Starting with Forbes and Harkins sitting behind Murdoch in a midfield three was never going to be effective. The goal we lost was especially poor; Murdoch was caught wrong side and a more experienced player would have fouled the player to stop the attack, O'Ware's starting position is dreadful and when the ball comes down his channel he gets beaten for pace far too easily, Russell makes an absolute **** of the clearance (why he was trying to clear the ball infield is anyone's guess) and then we don't react quickly enough to the ball deflecting off of Sir Richard. 

I will give Duffy a limited amount of credit in that he made some minor tweaks to the shape, placing Murdoch behind Harkins and Forbes rather than in front of them and instructing the two wing back to be more cautious about leaving space behind them. Despite his tweaks, this doesn't come close to mitigating throwing the team into a 3-5-2 when it was quite obvious that we were not ready to deploy it in a competitive game. Once Dunfermline realised they couldn't attack us in the wide areas anymore, they tried to exploit the space between our back three and midfield three and it worked well. Had they had some better decision making in the final third they would have created a few more chances and probably would have (deservedly) won the match. If we're going to persist with 3-5-2 then we need a more energetic midfielder in alongside Murdoch and one of Forbes, Tidser and Harkins. 

Doyle had a decent game despite his obvious technical limitations, Sir Richard was outstanding as ever and I thought Gasparotto looked like a solid addition. Harkins and Forbes as a midfield pairing is criminally slow (even with someone like Murdoch alongside them) and the lack of understanding between Oliver and McHugh is becoming a concern. 

There are obvious limitations to the 3-5-2 that desperately need improved and I think we'll need to explore the loan market if we are going to use it successfully. I wouldn't be adverse to dropping Russell and playing a back four of Lamie, O'Ware, Gasparotto and Doyle against Falkirk. Although Russell has been marginally better than Doyle this season (last night aside), I'd rather wait until January and try and sign a new right back rather than trying to put O'Ware or someone similar out of position for the sake of it. Let's just hope that Doyle's performance last night will be the start of a decent run of form. 

Overall I'm content with a point. Once Dunfermline scored we really didn't look like we would get anything out of the game so it was excellent to get a goal and manage to hold on. McHugh and Gasparotto to sink that horrible mob on Saturday now please. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Why do we do it so often then?

We always have, it’s rare to see two good halves from us, but it’s frustrating when the first half is the good one. McGraw’s teams were known for building up a decent half time lead then coming out for the second half looking like they’d just met.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Some interesting perspective from Duffy in his post-match interview with JM. He thinks  we have been unlucky of late in our defending and 3-5-2 was his solution to the lack of width in the team. Other than that he was just delighted to get a point. Yet again, to me anyway, his views mirror those of the Board - no ambition! The game was there for the taking - we settled for the draw.

Archived