The Big Accountability Thread - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big Accountability Thread

TheGoon

I'm fully expecting this to turn into an abortion of a thread about 6 posts in but I'm willing to live with that. Is anyone here bothered about Morton's position on this - https://t.co/kWQvcD5VRB

We've gone beyond the point of Rangers (RIP) and title-stripping and instead the accountability and integrity of the SFA is being called into question by Celtic, and quite possibly others clubs quite soon.

This isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over, but the SFA's refusal to carry out the investigation pretty much confirms there's things being swept under the carpet, and I can understand why supporters would want their clubs to take action. I'd prefer we just moved on and left the matter tbh. I couldn't give less of a shit about honours being stripped and there being a "conspiracy" at Hampden, but it'd appear I'm in the minority of Scottish Football fans.

Does anyone feel strongly enough to take Morton to task on their position in this?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm fully expecting this to turn into an abortion of a thread about 6 posts in but I'm willing to live with that. Is anyone here bothered about Morton's position on this - https://t.co/kWQvcD5VRB

We've gone beyond the point of Rangers (RIP) and title-stripping and instead the accountability and integrity of the SFA is being called into question by Celtic, and quite possibly others clubs quite soon.

This isn't something I'm going to lose sleep over, but the SFA's refusal to carry out the investigation pretty much confirms there's things being swept under the carpet, and I can understand why supporters would want their clubs to take action. I'd prefer we just moved on and left the matter tbh. I couldn't give less of a s*** about honours being stripped and there being a "conspiracy" at Hampden, but it'd appear I'm in the minority of Scottish Football fans.

Does anyone feel strongly enough to take Morton to task on their position in this?

I can't say I've followed this very closely but Warren is on the newly constituted SPFL board which that statement makes reference to, so I assume Morton's position was in line with that.

I can't say I've followed this very closely but Warren is on the newly constituted SPFL board which that statement makes reference to, so I assume Morton's position was in line with that.

I'd forgotten he was there actually. The SPFL board obviously want the review, but not every club does which could be an issue going forward.

Rangers probably deserve trophies won during that period took from them, but seen as it probably didn't affect Morton in any way I couldn't give a fuck.

Plus if the losers in finals got awarded the cups, the scum would go down as winners in the final they lost against 9 men.

Rangers probably deserve trophies won during that period took from them, but seen as it probably didn't affect Morton in any way I couldn't give a ****.

Plus if the losers in finals got awarded the cups, the scum would go down as winners in the final they lost against 9 men.

To quote one of the skunks on P&B - "Nope - they can fucking keep it".

Aside from that issue - Stewart Regan and Neil Doncaster need punted. The manner in which they scrambled to keep their beloved product sellable to the TV companies by making sure that Sevco got back into the League format in some form (and we are sadly culpable in that one) was appalling.

I doubt the same treatment would have befallen the likes of Cowdenbeath or Albion Rovers. 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

The correspondence between Celtic and the SFA - linked to in PDF form on the page provided in te original post - is quite enlightening. In their first response the SFA do a decent job of explaining why they won't commission an independent review, but Celtic push the issue again and raise some excellent points of their own, namely that the SFA is willing to examine only some of the new evidence (Rangers' evidence to the SFA in 2011 that resulted in a UEFA license) but not all of it in a broader context. Celtic want to know why the SFA won't do that - the Association's rather lame excuse is that because not all stakeholders could ever be satisfied that they're received "closure" it's better not to bother.

More and more material facts have changed, and more judgemnets have been issued, since the original decisions of the SPL, SFL, and SFA. It's only right that these are considered in their entirety, not just the Craig Whyte panto villain part that the SFA feels like taking on.

As much as I hate to say it, Celtic have them bang to rights here. There are elephants in the room.

EOho8Pw.png

As someone who - like all sensible people - is firmly in the 'Rangers cheated then they died and are obviously not the same club' camp, I'm not really bothered by the title-stripping argument.

I get that there's a wider issue at stake regarding what this says about SFA & SPFL transparency in general beyond the Rangers issue in isolation, but while I think stripping the titles would be the right thing to do I don't particularly care. Compared to the issue of, for example, what league the new club were to be placed into at the time those votes were taking place, it's insignificant. Correcting the historical record would be nice but it's not going to make any difference for the future of the game in the way that letting them off the hook by parachuting the new club into the top flight would have. Either way you'll have a Juventus style argument in perpetuity with Rangers insisting they did win the titles and everyone else insisting they didn't.

Incidentally, if title stripping was to go ahead it should only be league titles awarded to other teams, with cups they won just expunged rather than awarded to runners-up. That's fair as you just award all their league results as 3-0 wins to the opposition and calculate the winner that way, but you can't just award the cups to losing finalists when the teams Rangers knocked out in earlier rounds could have defeated the eventual runners-up.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I think there should be transparency here. If there has been corruption it should be rooted out. If some of the involved people are still in positions of power and influence within the governing bodies, they should be removed.

We run the risk of similar actions happening again, with a virtually unquestioning media being complicit in any underhand goings on.

We can't expect the likes of FIFA to clean up their act if we're not bothered with secret closed door deals in our own country.

I'd love to have you both for dinner

. Compared to the issue of, for example, what league the new club were to be placed into at the time those votes were taking place, it's insignificant. Correcting the historical record would be nice but it's not going to make any difference for the future of the game in the way that letting them off the hook by parachuting the new club into the top flight would have.

Being pedantic here, but they were elected to join the League by taking up the vacant slot in what is now League 2.

Parachuting implies they were dropped from the top flight to the bottom, and follows the media misapprehension that they were relegated three leagues. They fended off zero competition (wrong procedure IMO) and were shamelessly voted in by the majority of the member clubs. Even more shameful were the minority who wanted them put straight into the second tier. Not shameful at all were Stranraer, who voted to not let them in at all.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Being pedantic here, but they were elected to join the League by taking up the vacant slot in what is now League 2.

Parachuting implies they were dropped from the top flight to the bottom, and follows the media misapprehension that they were relegated three leagues. They fended off zero competition (wrong procedure IMO) and were shamelessly voted in by the majority of the member clubs. Even more shameful were the minority who wanted them put straight into the second tier. Not shameful at all were Stranraer, who voted to not let them in at all.

Read the post again.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

I think there should be transparency here. If there has been corruption it should be rooted out. If some of the involved people are still in positions of power and influence within the governing bodies, they should be removed.

We run the risk of similar actions happening again, with a virtually unquestioning media being complicit in any underhand goings on.

We can't expect the likes of FIFA to clean up their act if we're not bothered with secret closed door deals in our own country.

If there is to be transparency there has to be full disclosure regarding all of the avoidance issues. Not just EBTs but also image rights arrangements, which also reduce both club and players NIC/PAYE exposure, and contrived loss making partnership schemes. There has already been press disclosure about the involvement of Celtic execs, managers and players in such illegal schemes.

Some fuel to the fire here. Regan is now trying to paint it as a Celtic-only matter. If this is indeed the reasoning for rejecting the review it wouldn't surprise me to see some more club statements quite soon http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/41228081

Bold from Regan, because he's now gambling on nobody else coming forward. If no other club does submit a request, he's in the clear. If others do so...

EOho8Pw.png

Bold from Regan, because he's now gambling on nobody else coming forward. If no other club does submit a request, he's in the clear. If others do so...

Celtic said in that statement it had the same position as the SPFL board. That's more than one club then isn't it?

There's history of SFA Chief Executives losing their job after incurring the wrath of Celtic.

Archived