Dumbarton Vs Morton - League Opener - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Dumbarton Vs Morton - League Opener

TheGoon

This time last year we were starting to make the loan signings which really lifted the season. The Ayr game was about our third game & the season took off after that low point. The St Mirren game has come probably too early, there are causes for concern but not panic.

I don't think our current squad has a bad first eleven at all, but this is a key point - we traditionally leave it until late in the window to fully complete the squad.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the surplus made over the previous 12 months I don't think that a wee bit of ambition shown by the board was too much to ask for.  Yet again, still trying to complete a squad after the season is well underway just doesn't work for Morton.  It's difficult to get excited about yet another season where the penny pinching by the board is blatantly obvious.

With the surplus made over the previous 12 months I don't think that a wee bit of ambition shown by the board was too much to ask for. Yet again, still trying to complete a squad after the season is well underway just doesn't work for Morton. It's difficult to get excited about yet another season where the penny pinching by the board is blatantly obvious.

I'm not so sure it's just the board. Duffy has spoke about the budget being there at times and yet not signed anyone.

I don't think our current squad has a bad first eleven at all, but this is a key point - we traditionally leave it until late in the window to fully complete the squad.

I looked at the bench yesterday and thought Duffy is putting a lot of pressure on the young guys to come on and try and change a game.

It's the one frustration I have time and time again with Duffy. No way should our bench be full of kids on the first day of the season.

Our squad should pretty much be in place by now. The budget is clearly there. It was increased this year and we lost about 9/10 players and have only brought in 4/5, 2 of which will be on peanuts probably.

You would think he would learn from his mistakes as we have never started well in his 4 seasons!

I really hope the gamble pays off once again, but it's a dangerous game!

Harkins' place should only be on the bench. He doesn't fit into our system whatsoever. Oliver playing off Jai, with Thomson out on the left is our best option I'd say. Oliver is a big miss for us, he's the one that looks to come short and make things happen between the lines.

How would he not fit in to a 4411 system? He has no business at centre mid, we have enough skillful guys who lack pace there already, but in the hole creating chances for Jai would be pretty fruitful in my opinion.

Harkins would fit into the proposed 4-4-1-1 system that we used last season as a backup option for Gary Oliver. Going forward he would be fine, however would he contribute to the high-pressing we used last season with the same intensity as Oliver? Absolutely not. Regardless of whether we're playing a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-1-1, Harkins rightful place is on the bench when all our players are fully fit. 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

How would he not fit in to a 4411 system? He has no business at centre mid, we have enough skillful guys who lack pace there already, but in the hole creating chances for Jai would be pretty fruitful in my opinion.

Jai's not a finisher and not the guy I'd be wanting to create chances for. Jai plays well as part of a front 2 dragging off defenders and running them into space where ideally you'd have Thomson or McHugh being the beneficiaries of that kind of play style. 

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

If Duffy goes back to 4411, suppose it's Oliver and Quitongo up front, then he's got McHugh and Harkins benched.

The system only works if he can get Lindsay type workrate out of Tidser in the middle, and Thompson on the left puts in a shift and is defensively minded enough to offer protection to Russell. Or goes with Tiffony and you put Thompson on the bench with McHugh and Harkins.

I fear the 4-3-3 is here to stay, if only to get the players on first team wages into the side - it might be Duffy's undoing.

If Murdoch goes off the boil or gets injured we're knackered.

If we can get money for Jai before the end of the month we need to take it. That would solve part of the problem of the squad being top heavy.

• 1 month later...

Archived