Summer Football - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Summer Football

TheGoon

Where do people on here stand on this? Been talked about for a while now, but worryingly appears to be gathering steam with a few notable chairmen backing it.

I don't want it. The perceived benefits of it won't actually happen and there is no real successful model of it in Europe. Funnily enough talk of it resurfaced when St Johnstone made an arse of themselves on Thursday, and I suspect it will really gather momentum when some no marks put Rangers out.

Is anyone on here actually in favour of it?

It is worthy of consideration but amongst other things, how would you make the changeover? Say the season was March - December. Do you play a one off short season?

More importantly, we have to look at shortening the season a bit, maybe by having two or three weeks with scheduled midweek league games. If teams are involved in play offs or the cup final the season extends well into May and the new league cup format sees competitive games starting mid July. Realistically players have to be back for pre season mid June. It's not enough time for players, particularly at clubs with small heavily involved squads, to recharge their batteries both physically and mentally.

Apart from anything else, clubs can start to run into issues with the legal minimum holiday time. Getting the start of the season back to around the end of July start and ending early May latest is what's needed.

It is worthy of consideration

In all seriousness - why? I've followed this debate for years and I have yet to see a convincing argument beyond "well we have to do SOMEthing" (which isn't convincing either).

EOho8Pw.png

In all seriousness - why? I've followed this debate for years and I have yet to see a convincing argument beyond "well we have to do SOMEthing" (which isn't convincing either).

That's pretty much it. If someone could point to a comparable country where it could be deemed a success then perhaps I wouldn't dismiss it. Fact of the matter is, none exist.

Anyone advocating a change to summer football is just demanding a change for change's sake. There is no evidence it would increase attendances, no evidence it would improve standards, no answer to the logistical problems of how to schedule the season into a summer calendar and no answer to the obvious point that this is Scotland and it's entirely normal for it to piss down in June & July or for games to be called off due to weather in October & November.

While we should always look for ways to improve the game, Scottish league football is genuinely excellent by most barometers when compared to other European countries of a similar size: summer football would be a massive threat to that with a serious danger of turning us into a backwater.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It is worthy of consideration but amongst other things, how would you make the changeover? Say the season was March - December. Do you play a one off short season?

22/23 season would be a logical place to start it due to the winter World Cup in Qatar

Scottish teams do s*** in Europe because the scouting systems here are s*** and lazy, and they pay well over the odds for crap journeyman from the UK.

That's a good point as well. The village team that beat St Johnstone had some Brazilian running the show.

Part of this is also due to the UK's work permit system which, while easily abused in many industries, is fairly robust when it comes to football (as, in my view it, it should be.) That doesn't excuse the poor scouting of Europe, though.

EOho8Pw.png

That's a good point as well. The village team that beat St Johnstone had some Brazilian running the show.

Central Eastern/Eastern Europe will be filled with good players who could do a job for SPFL sides at a fraction of the costs they currently pay to domestic players. It's absolutely embarrassing that teams like Trakai with an average attendance of 900 have better players than St Johnstone. Stop spending 2k a week on domestic shite like Murray Davidson and cast the net out to countries like Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic etc

Nope.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Winters are depressing as it is, but without football to look forward to it would be unbearable. Also with improvements in pitch maintenance technology and global warming there are far fewer problems with the weather. Plus there are far more other things to do in the summer.

Can't see one single positive argument for summer football. 

Winters are depressing as it is, but without football to look forward to it would be unbearable. Also with improvements in pitch maintenance technology and global warming there are far fewer problems with the weather. Plus there are far more other things to do in the summer.

Can't see one single positive argument for summer football.

Beer gardens before and after the game.

Archived