Club Stature - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club Stature

TheGoon

That was the Weirs from Largs, who were regularly at hospitality at Cappielow as invitees of Rae for a while after their win. Not sure why they eventually chose to invest in Partick instead but we can't rely on luck sending someone like that our way anyway.

It is perfectly obvious why they made that choice. Regardless of their team preference they were looking to invest in something that will have a lasting legacy rather than squander it on shite. One look at Partick's professional business model compared to Rae's bottomless pit of IOUs from Golden Casket and the decision would have been entirely straightforward.

Rae's failure to run the club in a competent, professional and modern manner meant that the club missed one of the few opportunities for outside investment with relatively few strings attached.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're Partick Thistle fans. Shame they couldn't have been Morton supporters :(

They're not Partick fans. They're from Largs and invested heavily in Largs Thistle, which was misinterpreted into Partick Thistle by the media.

As mentioned above, Rae was courting them for a while. I'd love to have seen their reaction when they asked to see the books.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Reading between the lines I think the investment that the Weirs/GMFC were talking about was a specific one: if we beat Partick to the league title they would contribute to the (then) necessary cost of putting up the WDE stand. As it was, we missed out, the rules changed, and the money went elsewhere (could be 2+2=5, but a very similar amount of money to that which was being discussed went to Thistle to fund their academy). 

I'm sure it was more complicated than that, and I might have picked that up wrongly, but that's my recollection.

Reading between the lines I think the investment that the Weirs/GMFC were talking about was a specific one: if we beat Partick to the league title they would contribute to the (then) necessary cost of putting up the WDE stand. As it was, we missed out, the rules changed, and the money went elsewhere (could be 2+2=5, but a very similar amount of money to that which was being discussed went to Thistle to fund their academy). 

I'm sure it was more complicated than that, and I might have picked that up wrongly, but that's my recollection.

What was the proposed fee for erecting the WDE stand? 

They invested around £4m in Thistle's youth academy. 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

They're not Partick fans. They're from Largs and invested heavily in Largs Thistle, which was misinterpreted into Partick Thistle by the media.

As mentioned above, Rae was courting them for a while. I'd love to have seen their reaction when they asked to see the books.

I'm sure as soon as they won the euro millions he said he was a Partick Thistle fan.

Colin Weir is definitely a Partick fan. Did they not pay for a new Astro at Largs' ground?

I heard on the radio on the way home from Cappielow one week that a Thistle fan won a fair amount on the lottery and gifted the club a one-off sum. Apparently has been set aside to supplement their wage budget over the next few years.

Aye. They've also helped build their new multi-million quid training centre and are getting a stand named after them apparently.

The Largs fatties.

I blame Davie McA for not doffing his cap to them.

That was the Weirs from Largs, who were regularly at hospitality at Cappielow as invitees of Rae for a while after their win. Not sure why they eventually chose to invest in Partick instead but we can't rely on luck sending someone like that our way anyway.

They're Thistle supporters, therefore they are definitely wrong'uns. We can do without their sort.

*insert signature here*

they also spent over 1million on the Weir 3G indoor at the Inverclyde National Centre in Largs.

It's uncanny that they've managed to find all these things to invest in with the same surname as themselves.

*insert signature here*

This reminds me of an old joke about broadcast legend Tom Weir and celebrity chef Fanny Cradock.

If Fanny Cradock married Tom Weir, would that make her Fanny Weir?  :blink:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Aren't we all dwelling on the past a bit much here? Keep the past in mind, definitely, but Scottish football dwells on it too often.

The club has made huge strides with their highly regarded community activity, Warren and Jonathan ramping up our activity off the pitch, we bettered our league position from the previous season and I thought the only time I'd see Morton at Hampden would be against Queen's Park, so getting to the League Cup semi was great.

There's progress and gains being made. Sustainable growth is important. Will we be patient enough to let it happen?

The club has made huge strides with their highly regarded community activity

Last time that I checked, running under-12s, multicultural futsal sessions has absolutely no bearing on the club's stature in the professional football pecking order. I doubt that Real Madrid are willing to swap their eleven CL titles for "greater community activity". 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Last time that I checked, running under-12s, multicultural futsal sessions has absolutely no bearing on the club's stature in the professional football pecking order. I doubt that Real Madrid are willing to swap their eleven CL titles for "greater community activity". 

No of course not. But thinking about the club's stature overall, with the original post mentioning our narrative within the media too, our SFA award winning community efforts get a lot of positive coverage. 

No of course not. But thinking about the club's stature overall, with the original post mentioning our narrative within the media too, our SFA award winning community efforts get a lot of positive coverage.

Outside of media reports of the award being given, how much positive coverage has it received?

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Outside of media reports of the award being given, how much positive coverage has it received?

Coverage doesn't just encompass what goes on in the media. Just a quick trawl through their mentions on Twitter brings up loads of examples of positive sentiment towards the activities on offer. Plus the Trusted Trophy Tour stopped by Cappielow last month too if you didn't spot that http://trustedtrophytour.co.uk/tours/greenock-morton-fc-2017 

Archived