Club Stature - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Club Stature

TheGoon

Been thinking about this for a few weeks. What are we? We've had increased media attention this season but the narrative has always been that of a small fairytale. "Look at how good a job Jim Duffy is doing at Morton, they're punching well above their weight." If it was Raith, QOTS or even Dunfermline in their first year back finishing fourth I can't imagine the same terminology being used, or subtle-patronising going on. Are we not pretty much where we should be?

I've always considered us a bigger club than both Raith & QOTS, and not that much off Dunfermline. Similarly, I've always seen us as equal to the likes of Inverness, St Johnstone, Ross County, Thistle & St Mirren - despite them enjoying top flight stability for a good period. Recently, wether it's the spell in League 1, I feel like we've sank to a level of Ayr United diddyness.

Like a lot of the support, I've never seen us play top flight football but it has always been drilled into me we should be. As has the notion there's thousands more Morton fans ready to come to games when we eventually do. I'm not convinced that's the case anymore.

A few seasons finishing in and around the playoff spots might rid us of this diddy mentality, I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm reading too much into lazy media coverage. I do feel like there's a certain acceptance of mediocrity at Morton now, when there shouldn't be. We can get promoted, and similar sized teams have shown we can be more than cannon fodder up there.

TL;DR, Are we a complete diddy team now?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we are.

Decades of underachievement mean nobody sees us as anything more than a yoyo club between the Championship and League 1, with the odd unexpected fairytale unsuccessful tilts at promotion to the top flight, once in a blue moon.

The talk of us being bigger than all the clubs you listed is nothing more than looking at it through blue and white tinted specs. The majority of those clubs are streets ahead of us off the field, and more successful on average in recent times than us on the field.

The fact that so many of our fans accept the plucky, punching above our weight opinion and celebrate the failure just adds to it.

Remember its not our first time back, we came 5th last season.

Agree with what you are saying. Tam McManus on radio other night sayings Morton's objective would have been staying in the league. Bollox. We came 5th last season and our target would have been the playoffs like most teams in the league and luckily we achieved that relatively easily.

Our last 4 seasons in this division has been 4th, 5th, 10th and 2nd.

I've never seen us in the top flight either and I regard us a decent championship club who should but haven't jumped up to the top league for a season or two. When you look at others in the last 25 years who have went up, no reason we shouldn't be doing the same.

We are where we are though and there will be another 6 or 7 teams fighting it out next season. The signs are good and it seems like we are heading in the right direction with Hawke etc so I'd like to think we won't be far away over the next few years.

Main concern for me is our crowds. Skunks, Pars, Falkirk are drawing in min 3-4k every second week which gives them a big advantage over us. Our crowd seems to have levelled at about 18-1900 regardless how good or bad we are doing. Really don't know what the answer is. We are doing a lot of work in the community but we just can't seem to attract the numbers we did 10-15 years ago.

Main concern for me is our crowds. Skunks, Pars, Falkirk are drawing in min 3-4k every second week which gives them a big advantage over us. Our crowd seems to have levelled at about 18-1900 regardless how good or bad we are doing. Really don't know what the answer is. We are doing a lot of work in the community but we just can't seem to attract the numbers we did 10-15 years ago.

This part is completely false.

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

Our crowds this year averaged at over 2300 over the league campaign: 200 higher than when we finished 2nd in 2012/13 and higher than a comparable season at this level such as 1998/99. I'm not sure what people are expecting but the facts show that our core support is gradually increasing on what it was in the supposed good old days, at least for comparable campaigns.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is sort of what I'm getting at -http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/15270866.Tam_McManus__When_it_comes_to_Manager_of_the_Year__there_ought_to_be_a_statue_mounted_outside_Cappielow/

The job is "unbelievable" because Duffy made an arse of both windows. He's refused to blame the board, so the blame lies with him that we looked like relegation candidates early on despite finishing 5th in a stronger division the year previously.

I presume the headline of that article is referring to Brian Wake or Sir Gavin.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's relative to success then? That'd make sense I suppose. Though, Raith & QOTS have done hee haw for decades as well and I think they're perceived differently.

But both have had 'success' more recently than us. Raith were last in the top league in the 90s, won a cup, got into Europe. Queen of the South, cup final in the 00s, got into Europe.

We were last in the top flight in the 80s, and have a cup semi to our name.

The patronising pats on the head are all to do with JD and his status in the media and nothing to do with us. We have been out of the main stream for so long that all these guys can comment on are Andy Ritchie and how Cappielow is a quaint old ground that used to be a mudbath.

Until we actually do something, we'll be treated as a diddy club and frankly we deserve little more.

It's nice to hear the word Famous being used by some fans on here but you need to ask what are we famous for? You can't dine out on a cup win 95 years ago forever.

You can't dine out on a cup win 95 years ago forever.

I think you'll find that we can and we shall. When people are claiming that we're a smaller club than Queen of the South (Queen of the South; Wake wept!) then it remains our priceless trump card. They will never win a meaningful trophy; nor will Raith. It offers an important perspective on our actual place within the pecking order. 

It is however rather depressing to see the only fanbase in Scottish football to have started a riot because the team failed to secure a league and Scottish Cup double stooping to the level of happy-clapping dross like last night's showing and result. Declining ambition has had a greater effect on the terraces than on the first-team squad or behind the scenes.

I think you'll find that we can and we shall. When people are claiming that we're a smaller club than Queen of the South (Queen of the South; Wake wept!) then it remains our priceless trump card. They will never win a meaningful trophy; nor will Raith. It offers an important perspective on our actual place within the pecking order. 

It is however rather depressing to see the only fanbase in Scottish football to have started a riot because the team failed to secure a league and Scottish Cup double stooping to the level of happy-clapping dross like last night's showing and result. Declining ambition has had a greater effect on the terraces than on the first-team squad or behind the scenes.

I've always been impressed with your ability to magnificently defend a lost cause in the face of overwhelming odds :)

I have to agree that we seem to have a fair proportion of fans who are remarkably undemanding when it comes to Morton. That truly is the mark of diddyness.

This in my view is firmly down to DDF, who talked Morton down at every opportunity and focuses on the can'ts instead of the cans. I'm not saying running a provincial Scottish full-time club is easy but he did himself no favors over the years in this respect, and our standing in the game bears this out.

EOho8Pw.png

Id say we are where we belong. Under the current regime we are nothing more than a mid table championship team who punched above our weight this season. Won't change until there is real investment on and off the park.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

St Johnstone are in Europe once again. They may have capitalised on Rangers, Hearts, Hibs & United's recent implosions but they're now an established top half Premiership team. They're not much bigger than us.

St Johnstone are in Europe once again. They may have capitalised on Rangers, Hearts, Hibs & United's recent implosions but they're now an established top half Premiership team. They're not much bigger than us.

Wasn't that long ago we were at McDiarmid around this time of year with a chance of winning the title. Admittedly it was a slim chance and they won that day, but how our fortunes have diverged since then.

But remember, these things can and do change on a dime. Dunfermline have been in Europe twice this century, Livingston were in it once, Inverness just last season.

EOho8Pw.png

St. Johnstone are the biggest club on Tayside and are a feature of the top six, they're in a different world to us.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

This part is completely false. http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

Our crowds this year averaged at over 2300 over the league campaign: 200 higher than when we finished 2nd in 2012/13 and higher than a comparable season at this level such as 1998/99. I'm not sure what people are expecting but the facts show that our core support is gradually increasing on what it was in the supposed good old days, at least for comparable campaigns.

We're incapable of pulling big game crowds now which was never an issue before.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

But our average crowds are higher, because we have a much larger core support now than the 800 that used to show up for games against Meadowbank at Cappielow. That is the basis on which the club can develop sustainably, as opposed to Rae tilting at windmills by demanding an average gate of 4000 in the Scottish second tier. 

Archived