The Big Ginormous Playoff Thread - Page 28 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big Ginormous Playoff Thread

TheGoon

As someone mentioned above, a few short weeks ago, we were going to Hibs to beat them and fight for the title.

-then it ended.

There might be a million reasons, all with some credibility.

The loss of Quitongo for almost entire season

Olvier's injury, has he actually recovered yet?

Loss of Gunning

Exhaustion of half the team and too small a viable squad

No-one wanting to come here in January?

Jim's inability to change a plan when he has been rumbled

Jim's substitution philosophy -give 'em only enough minutes for a badge -although he has improved lately

Failure to find a way to fit Tidser and Forbes on the same pitch -tho' that seems to have improved

Gaston's risible kicking

The lack of protection for the defence in last quarter of the season, maybe the inability to hold the ball

No striker and no goals from anywhere for months now.

If the first quarter of next season is the same as last 9 weeks or so, then we have reason to be worried.

I think Jim's talent for finding flawed, good players is his best attribute, he should stick to that. I don't think he is a coach -make him Director of Football.

I think half of our squad are unfit. I would say at least Kilday, Forbes, Shankland, Gaston, Scullion are slow and flabby

If he finds a striker, a centre-back and a killer defensive midfield player, we will be fine next year.

I suspect, however, that Tam has had enough.

Top 4 is achievable, but will next season be too long for us again?

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top 4 is achievable, but will next season be too long for us again?

If it is then time to find another job cos football is not it.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

If the board are to show ambition next year we really have to let Jim build a larger squad with more quality in it. Can I see it happen probably not.

I don't necessarily think the wage budget was the only reason we lacked squad depth. The wages we spent on McAleer, McDonagh, Scullion and Oyenuga combined with the wage we saved when McNeil left should have been enough to bring in two credible signings. 

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

I don't necessarily think the wage budget was the only reason we lacked squad depth. The wages we spent on McAleer, McDonagh, Scullion and Oyenuga combined with the wage we saved when McNeil left should have been enough to bring in two credible signings. 

After McAleer, McNeil and Gunning left in January we gave new contracts to the aforementioned Scullion and Oyenuga as well as adding Shankland and Donnelly. The budget clearly wasn't the issue here.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

After McAleer, McNeil and Gunning left in January we gave new contracts to the aforementioned Scullion and Oyenuga as well as adding Shankland and Donnelly. The budget clearly wasn't the issue here.

Agreed, the budget was there to sign a proven striker to cover for Jai and kick on.

Jim opted for typical Jim signings and ones he had targeted before. They bombed amd our chances ultimately bombed.

If the board are to show ambition next year we really have to let Jim build a larger squad with more quality in it. Can I see it happen probably not.

We can either have a larger squad with more ringers or as mall one with more quality. We can't have both. In January we opted for a larger pool of strikers instead of one or two quality replacements and that was the wrong decision. Duffy's resources will largely be the same as he had to build a team that finished in the play-offs last time round, and we certainly didn't extract full value from that budget. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived