The Big Ginormous Playoff Thread - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Big Ginormous Playoff Thread

TheGoon

Here we are then. Thought it'd make sense to have one big thread rather than various match threads. I have no confidence, none, and even though these are some of the biggest games in the club's history, I could not be more unarsed than I am currently.

By all accounts, we had a decent showing today and United couldn't beat our under-strength side. There's no reason we can't get past them if we play as well as we're capable of doing. We've only lost to them once, and a lot of their fans have already turned on the manager. A result in the first leg then a shitfest draw in front of a incessant with rage Tannadice would be perfect.

Falkirk can't beat us. If this were a one off game, I'd be pretty optimistic, despite their tendency to score late goals against us. The real difficulty lies in them having more match fitness, as well as having scouted us twice the week previously. Given we've looked shattered for about two months now, it's hard to see us being anything other than shattered heading into the second leg. We could use the momentum of getting past United in our favour though, you never know.

If we somehow scrape though we'll be facing one of Motherwell, Hamilton, Dundee or Inverness. Hamilton, please.

For Tuesday, I'd go -

Gaston

Doyle O'Ware Kilday Lamie

Forbes Murdoch Tidser Nesbitt

Oliver

Kudus

I don't like leaving Lindsay out, but someone like Tidser in the middle to calm things down could be invaluable. We could of course start with Lindsay and bring Tidser on later on as he'll never be able to do 180 minutes in three days, but I'd rather he was on there as much as possible. I still think Duffy will end up playing Shankland, despite Kudus looking like the better option, but we'll see. Having the latter to come off the bench may be a decent asset as well.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too long; didn't read.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We'd have played 2 more games, but they'd have more match fitness? Contradicting yourself a bit there.

And Shankland is better than Kudus.

Sorry, that should just read fitness. What is Shankland better at exactly? He's slower than a week in the jail, squanders chance after chance and at times looks totally uninterested. Kudus for all his flaws always puts a shift in and has shown he's at least capable of scoring against our upcoming opponents.

Here we are then. Thought it'd make sense to have one big thread rather than various match threads. I have no confidence, none, and even though these are some of the biggest games in the club's history, I could not be more unarsed than I am currently.

By all accounts, we had a decent showing today and United couldn't beat our under-strength side. There's no reason we can't get past them if we play as well as we're capable of doing. We've only lost to them once, and a lot of their fans have already turned on the manager. A result in the first leg then a s***fest draw in front of a incessant with rage Tannadice would be perfect.

Falkirk can't beat us. If this were a one off game, I'd be pretty optimistic, despite their tendency to score late goals against us. The real difficulty lies in them having more match fitness, as well as having scouted us twice the week previously. Given we've looked shattered for about two months now, it's hard to see us being anything other than shattered heading into the second leg. We could use the momentum of getting past United in our favour though, you never know.

If we somehow scrape though we'll be facing one of Motherwell, Hamilton, Dundee or Inverness. Hamilton, please.

For Tuesday, I'd go -

Gaston

Doyle O'Ware Kilday Lamie

Forbes Murdoch Tidser Nesbitt

Oliver

Kudus

I don't like leaving Lindsay out, but someone like Tidser in the middle to calm things down could be invaluable. We could of course start with Lindsay and bring Tidser on later on as he'll never be able to do 180 minutes in three days, but I'd rather he was on there as much as possible. I still think Duffy will end up playing Shankland, despite Kudus looking like the better option, but we'll see. Having the latter to come off the bench may be a decent asset as well.

I thought you weren't arsed?

Even during our horrific run we are unbeaten against Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Hibs so we have nothing to fear.

I am strangely going in to these games with blind optimism considering our run of form.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Even during our horrific run we are unbeaten against Dundee Utd, Falkirk and Hibs so we have nothing to fear.

I am strangely going in to these games with blind optimism considering our run of form.

Oddly enough I feel similarly. We have weaknesses but so do everyone else. Anything can happen.

EOho8Pw.png

Don't know about everyone else but anyone I know has no excitement for this at all. Shows how damaging the poor form has been. I'd give Kudus a go. I thought he did a good job today and took his goal well. But the fact Shankland was completely rested and Kudus got almost 90 mins tells that he won't be starting.

All the teams in the playoffs are/will be gubbins. I can't see us getting through six matches without losing - and we've never looked like winning a game comfortably to allow us to lose the other leg narrowly. Dundee United are abysmal though so we have a genuine 50-50 chance in this first round.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Oddly enough I feel similarly. We have weaknesses but so do everyone else. Anything can happen.

I feel the same. If we can play to the best of our ability, we can beat United and Falkirk, then it's all to play for in the Final. My only worry is tiredness will play a huge part the more we play. We don't have the squad size to rotate and remain competitive.

Our form has been horrendous, but im still buzzing for these games.

Its an end of season reward that we have earned and i think were going to show up surprising well, we will be taken as the underdogs and we have done very well in those situations this season.

Dundee united are utter gubbins aswell there is no reason we shouldn't be able to take a lead upto Tannadice on Friday. 

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

On the one hand, I'm worried with the form were are in, no wins in 9 is horrendous. It's also been 12 games since we scored more than 1 goal in a game.

On the other hand. Our first eleven have been rested and we should be in good physical shape for playoffs. DU are pish. 4 wins in their last 18 games and their fans are pretty angry about the state of their club. Also only lost once to them this season and that was at the start of the season when we were struggling.

I think we can certainly get passed them but probably need a lead going into 2nd leg and ideally score a couple of goals on Tues(something we haven't done in a long time)

We deserve to be there and we have as much chance as them IMO, bring it on.

On the one hand, I'm worried with the form were are in, no wins in 9 is horrendous. It's also been 12 games since we scored more than 1 goal in a game.

On the other hand. Our first eleven have been rested and we should be in good physical shape for playoffs. DU are pish. 4 wins in their last 18 games and their fans are pretty angry about the state of their club. Also only lost once to them this season and that was at the start of the season when we were struggling.

I think we can certainly get passed them but probably need a lead going into 2nd leg and ideally score a couple of goals on Tues(something we haven't done in a long time)

We deserve to be there and we have as much chance as them IMO, bring it on.

Good post and I fully agree. Despite our horrendous run of form I still fancy us to get by Utd and we've nothing to fear from Falkirk. Unfortunately I don't see us having the legs to get through 6 games and come out victorious. How incredible would it be if we could pull it off?

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It's a hell of an ask, but these players have been full of surprises this season so wouldn't put it past them pulling another one out the bag.

One things for sure, we have performed well against the top teams , 2 losses in 14 against the top 3 as well as beating killie, Hamilton and giving The Rangers a right good game.

Let's do this!

Hope the guys can pull a couple of decent performances out of the bag as neither Falkirk or United are anything beyond average. Goal scoring remains our achilles heel but if the defense can keep it tight and not gift goals, we've a chance. No-one realistically has high expectations after our dismal finish to the season but that could work in our favour if JD can get the team galvanised.

Here's hoping we can demonstrate the qualities that got us here.

Archived