Best Takeaway In Inverclyde? - Page 4 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Best Takeaway In Inverclyde?

TheGoon

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure most kebab establishments in Greater Greenock do provide a garlic mayo option.

It's a sauce rather than mayonnaise - a small tub of the latter for a portion of chips or something is not what we're looking for here. Kilted Kebabs doesn't; Manzil at the Wellpark doesn't. The likes of East West Spice at the Murdieston Dam can't even get donner meat right, never mind the rest of the kebab.

As I said at the beginning - Greater Greenock has a piss-poor selection of third-rate kebab vendors, all of which belong in the sea.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Think that's a Yorkshire thing in the UK. 'Garlic sauce' is a richer, fattier alternative that I assume Greenock shops have.

Turkish pickles, especially the little pickled green chile peppers, are popular in London. Those would be a good addition.

The reason why so many Kebab Shops have 'Garlic Sauce' on offer is because they can get those big squeezy bottles of Garlic Mayo from their cash & carry for only a couple of quid. http://www.makro.co.uk/chefs-larder-garlic-mayonnaise-1ltr.html

It also lasts longer than fresh yoghurt too.

Edit to add: pickled chilli's in the salad is also superb.

*insert signature here*

I got a kebab in Dusseldorf the other year and it was s***e. In my drunken state, I'd assumed it would be like just back home. It wasn't, and I was very, very disappointed.

Reads like a Smiths lyric.

And if he said 'to say the least i was truly disappointed' then it would read like a Morrissey lyric. :)

*insert signature here*

In a good kebab the meat will be moist (as opposed to greasy) and flavoursome enough for no sauce to be required. Too often sauce is merely being used to disguise the fact the meat is overdone and dry as ****.

This. It's a good kebab if all you need is the meat and the bread.

A yoghurt and some salad is a nice counterbalance if your kebab has a strong marinade or is a particular spicy kebab like an Adana, Shashlik or Kofte Kebab which are also few and far between in Scottish Kebab Shops.

I recall being down in Borehamwood just north of London a couple of years back for the Scotland-England game, and myself, Toby and a couple of others went to a Kebab shop after arriving. Toby asked for Pakora and they never had any, which we found very strange but apparently very few Kebab Shops outside Scotland sell Pakora.

*insert signature here*

A yoghurt and some salad is a nice counterbalance if your kebab has a strong marinade or is a particular spicy kebab like an Adana, Shashlik or Kofte Kebab which are also few and far between in Scottish Kebab Shops.

I recall being down in Borehamwood just north of London a couple of years back for the Scotland-England game, and myself, Toby and a couple of others went to a Kebab shop after arriving. Toby asked for Pakora and they never had any, which we found very strange but apparently very few Kebab Shops outside Scotland sell Pakora.

It's rare to find pakora down here. The best kebab I've had was homemade by an Iranian guy whose mum sent him the spice mix every month. Never tasted anything as good in a shop.

This thread inspired me to have a kebab for the first time in ages. I went to the 'Amsterdam Falafelshop' here in Dallas. It was awful. The shawarma was at least from full cuts of meat but it was completely tasteless and cold. There is a massive toppings bar with some tasty pickles, hummus etc but nothing could mask the poor meat and overly-sweet bread.

It seems to be run by an actual Dutch guy, which should have been a red flag to leave (the Dutch are genetically incapable of cooking anything more complicated than a toastie.)

EOho8Pw.png

This thread inspired me to have a kebab for the first time in ages. I went to the 'Amsterdam Falafelshop' here in Dallas. It was awful. The shawarma was at least from full cuts of meat but it was completely tasteless and cold. There is a massive toppings bar with some tasty pickles, hummus etc but nothing could mask the poor meat and overly-sweet bread.

It seems to be run by an actual Dutch guy, which should have been a red flag to leave (the Dutch are genetically incapable of cooking anything more complicated than a toastie.)

Any nation that opts for mayo on chips should be treated with suspicion.

Any nation that opts for mayo on chips should be treated with suspicion.

They had six sauce dispensers, one of which was 'Dutch Mayo'. I ignored this and tried a wee bit of the curry ketchup. Let's just say it won't be keeping the Germans up at night. (Usually the Germans are the ones doing that to the Dutch, in fairness.)

EOho8Pw.png

They had six sauce dispensers, one of which was 'Dutch Mayo'. I ignored this and tried a wee bit of the curry ketchup. Let's just say it won't be keeping the Germans up at night. (Usually the Germans are the ones doing that to the Dutch, in fairness.)

Is curry ketchup the same as curry sauce? Spilling curry and/or kebab sauce down your front after a night out is a rite of passage.

Curry ketchup, as used in currywurst and the like, is simply tomato ketchup mixed with spices, usually curry powder. "Curry sauce" as served in UK chippies and the like is something else entirely... and also brilliant.

Anyone who has ever said "yeah but it's not really authentic curry and they don't even eat curry in China" should be thrown off the Erskine Bridge.

EOho8Pw.png

Curry ketchup, as used in currywurst and the like, is simply tomato ketchup mixed with spices, usually curry powder. "Curry sauce" as served in UK chippies and the like is something else entirely... and also brilliant.

Anyone who has ever said "yeah but it's not really authentic curry and they don't even eat curry in China" should be thrown off the Erskine Bridge.

Heinz make a decent Curry Ketchup which is on sale throughout Europe, which leaves me bewildered as to why most Currywurst places use Tomato Ketchup and then cover in Curry powder.

Edit to add: heinz-curry-ketchup.jpg

bratwurst_2118444a558bf1beb304aaab929178

*insert signature here*

That image is ****ing revolting.

It sounds better than it actually is, and never ceases to disappoint. I ordered one in the Munchen Hofbrauhaus a couple of weeks back, and they stung me about €12 for it.

*insert signature here*

Archived