Morton Vs Ayr - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Vs Ayr

TheGoon

Meant to add though, beat Ayr this week we are at least in it. We then have a couple of weeks to regroup. We aren't the only side who've gone weeks without a goal. Just the first time its happened to us this year. I'd have bitten someones hand off to be here after the early league cup games, I thought we were relegation fodder at the start.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not having a go at him, but Kilday said in today's Tele it'd be good to win on Saturday and secure the playoffs to "take the pressure off the final few matches." Erm, naw, there should be "pressure" to finish second in that case.

I'm not having a go at him, but Kilday said in today's Tele it'd be good to win on Saturday and secure the playoffs to "take the pressure off the final few matches." Erm, naw, there should be "pressure" to finish second in that case.

I think you're reading too much into that tbh.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

eeee some funny people on this forum.

The point I was making was this team have lost their way, lets hope it is temporary. They have forgotten the great progress they made this season basically without their new star.

If we stagger on with 0-0, 1-0 til the play-offs, then we are no no fit state to beat three teams in a row.

Maybe we are not ready to go up, but I would rather we went out with a bang and not a whimper.

5-0 would send a bl**din' message. 1-0 would send a different message and would say we are no threat..

That screen showing our form over the past 6 and 10 games is a shocker.

Who knows, 5-0 might even convince Tam to stick around for another year, and maybe even some others.

I'm not saying we are capable of scoring 5 against anyone just now, I'm just saying Jimbo should send them onto the park with that message ringing in their ears.

If he sends them out with an 'wan-nil' will just fine do boys ........... we're Morton, we're worse than you think.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

"Well Tam, Wolves have met Morton's valuation. Would you like me to start contract negotiations? I reckon we can increase your current wages fivefold, before a signing on fee, and if you can break onto the first team you'll be playing in front of twenty thousand fans. Players in their league have had international callups too, of course."

"I appreciate it but we just beat a part-time team five nil."

"Say no more, son, say no more." *casts Wolves' opening offer into the fireplace*

EOho8Pw.png

eeee some funny people on this forum.

The point I was making was this team have lost their way, lets hope it is temporary. They have forgotten the great progress they made this season basically without their new star.

If we stagger on with 0-0, 1-0 til the play-offs, then we are no no fit state to beat three teams in a row.

Maybe we are not ready to go up, but I would rather we went out with a bang and not a whimper.

5-0 would send a bl**din' message. 1-0 would send a different message and would say we are no threat..

That screen showing our form over the past 6 and 10 games is a shocker.

Who knows, 5-0 might even convince Tam to stick around for another year, and maybe even some others.

I'm not saying we are capable of scoring 5 against anyone just now, I'm just saying Jimbo should send them onto the park with that message ringing in their ears.

If he sends them out with an 'wan-nil' will just fine do boys ........... we're Morton, we're worse than you think.

What an absolute omni-shambles of a post.

26/4/18

A Decade of Wakeism.

Another shan, injury time winner against the worst team in the division will be enough to finish the supposed playoff issue, but I don't see how it would build any confidence or momentum going into the play-offs. So the manner of a victory does matter to an extent here - unless the sum of our ambitions for the campaign is to traipse out of the playoffs in the first stage.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

One thing we do need is a big support on Saturday. Vocal and plenty numbers. Look at the lift st Mirren Must be got last week. Over 2000 of them at cappielow and apparently 1500 at falkirk.

We go to raith with 280.

I know we all can't make every game but team needs our support now

Stick to watching Queens Park reserves if that is the utter drivel you wish to contribute about the real level of the game.

By your own reckoning Morton must have had one-fifth of Saint Mirren's crowd at Grangemouth and yet somehow secured a far better result. The number of fans or their "vocal" backing is irrelevant to 22 professional footballers shelling a ball around a pitch for their living. It is far from the "one thing that we need" to pull out of a typical, end of season slump that had absolutely nothing to do with the support.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Stick to watching Queens Park reserves if that is the utter drivel you wish to contribute about the real level of the game.

By your own reckoning Morton must have had one-fifth of Saint Mirren's crowd at Grangemouth and yet somehow secured a far better result. The number of fans or their "vocal" backing is irrelevant to 22 professional footballers shelling a ball around a pitch for their living. It is far from the "one thing that we need" to pull out of a typical, end of season slump that had absolutely nothing to do with the support.

A good support does nothing but help to be fair. It at least offers encouragement to the players and gives the opposition a disadvantage. McCall basically said after the last Ayr game at Cappielow that his players shat themselves after the reaction from the home crowd from the disallowed goal, which led to us winning the game. 

I'm not saying we absolutely need a better support to succeed, but it does help.

Morton weren't playing at an obvious disadvantage when they won at Grangemouth two months ago in front of several thousand, baying cretins in the home end, with just a couple of hundred away fans as the game was in council TV. Saint Mirren's much vaunted attendances throughout the season haven't stopped their team from stinking the division out. A complete absence of support didn't hold back Gretna from beating comparably strong teams at this level to the title a decade ago. There really isn't any causal link. Ian McCall was simply looking to deflect attention in that match from his own failures as a coach, manager and human being.

A larger (home) support boosts the club coffers, which is good for next season's campaign, but the idea that any of it affects what occurs on the pitch is a myth. You'd think that after years of gormless Morton sides with bumper crowds falling behind the pace of Stranraer, Brechin, Dumbarton, Hamilton etc. then it would have been buried once and for all. But here we are.

A big support is great if you're a fan. Who wouldn't prefer watching a game in a packed and noisy Cappielow. However there's no end of nonsense spouted about it's positive effect on players and performances. After 50 odd years of following Morton the size of crowd or level of backing have not had any discernible influence on results.

Managers yes, players yes, crowds and noise - you're deluded.

Managers yes, players yes, crowds and noise - you're deluded.

I totally disagree. Look at Celtic to take just one example. Pulled off umpteen shock results at home in Europe yet couldn't buy an away win. That's down to the support being the proverbial 12th man. There's no doubt a support can have a match-winning influence.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

It's pretty obvious that adrenaline improves performance, concentration and confidence and one of the most obvious ways a team of players can be filled with adrenaline is a large, noisy support I've crowd as has been proven plenty times in football history.

There are also players who crumble under that sort of pressure and expectation so it can work the opposite way but I'd say that's more or less the expection that proves the rule.

Of course that's only one small part of what it takes to get a win, and talent outweighs everything, but to say a crowd can have no effect on a game is absolutely wrong.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I totally disagree. Look at Celtic to take just one example. Pulled off umpteen shock results at home in Europe yet couldn't buy an away win. That's down to the support being the proverbial 12th man. There's no doubt a support can have a match-winning influence.

No, that's because their managers were singularly incapable of playing an effective style of football in an away European tie. 

It's pretty obvious that adrenaline improves performance, concentration and confidence

Professional footballers play with adrenaline on a regular basis, at every level of the sport.

one of the most obvious ways a team of players can be filled with adrenaline is a large, noisy support I've crowd as has been proven plenty times in football history.

Anecdotal accounts can't prove anything of the sort. Home advantage in sports has been subjected to rigorous study for decades. The only significant factor of home crowds appears to be their influence on the marginal decisions of referees; not on the performances of the home team:

Tl;dr - 'Bring a friend to Cappielow so that we can concede one or two fewer fouls per game' is not the best marketing slogan, but comes closest to the established facts. Having more people putting money through the gate at Cappielow is fine; but it has no influence on home performances and only marginally to the match's outcome. 

Absolute rubbish.

The likes of Martin O'Neill were tactical dinosaurs on the European stage who got found out whenever Celtic tried to adjust their game plan for away matches. Indeed, the litany of apparent injustices that were somehow responsible for their away defeats points to the real role of home crowds as an influence on the referee. Well that and the fact that Celtic FC wallow in self-pity as a matter of course. 

Opening the Cowshed to away fans should never ever be called getting it 'live', Warren, that is Sean Dyche levels of wankspeak.

With that said, great news and well done to all.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived