Greenock Juniors - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Greenock Juniors

TheGoon

What a load of selective s***e being posted on here. Football is for playing not just watching or using as an excuse to hide in your bedroom from the the female sex by staying in at weekends and posting drivel VT. Greenock Juniors played at Hampden in the Scottish Junior Cup final in the early 60s when the attendance was certainly bigger than last Sunday's with at least 10,000 from Greenock there.

Even in these days of development squads Junior Football could still be a stepping stone and provide opportunities for Greenock footballers.

Hear hear, Edmund!

4809731.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Point of order: Morton do not have "pathetic gates". They are entirely in the middle of the pack for the current division - not helped by the fact that the two teams with big crowds in this division are based on the east coast and don't travel well to the Theatre of Dreams

Our current attendances are also entirely standard by the past records of the club. Some people have got the 95-96 season and a bit of the early Rae period embedded in their mind as the benchmark of 'how things ought to be' and have discarded all the years of gubbins crowds in a more credible First Division than we're in now. Here are the facts though:

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/club_records_league_attendance.php

From 1971, when a credible set of data becomes available, the pattern of crowds is clearly linked to Morton's league status in any given campaign. See our sub-2000 average in 1975-76, with a mediocre side in the second tier of a 10-14 league setup - just before the famous Andy Ritchie team! The Famous won the second tier in 1984 and 1987 with entirely comparable crowds to those that we enjoy at the moment. We have obviously had far smaller crowds outside of the top flight than within it - at its greatest extreme decades ago - because we didn't benefit from thousands of away fans every week as well as having big home games. That is comparable to any other credible football club moving between the same divisions in Scottish football though. 

I'd argue that the core support appears to be growing slightly over time. The minimum attendance figure (leaving aside the Scott boycott and admin period) indicates just how flaky the support could be over the course of a season - that seems less so now.

Morton's crowds are dire this season considering our position no matter how you try and dress it up. It's nothing to do with the 95/96 season invoking memories of what they should be. I started following Morton at the end of the 80s at a time when the club was under the guidance of Wilson and showed no ambition to progress outwith the anomaly of the 95/96 season. Our core support up until the mid-90s was woeful, slightly less than it is now but then again we were pissing about in either mid-table or the lower reaches of the 1st Division. This was the most stagnant period in the clubs recent history and attendances reflected that. Any time the club has shown genuine ambition crowds have flocked back except this time; why? Because quite simply the club aren't making the right noises and people have been turned off to the point of no return by Rae. The support doesn't even show for big games anymore. Under 2,000 Morton fans yesterday? Go back even a decade and I bet you could add at least another 50% of locals for a game of that magnitude.

The support is there, the problem is Morton as a club aren't a convincing proposition. Biggest underachievers in Scottish football bar none.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I'm not sure how Morton actually get fans back to Cappielow. I think every Morton fan knows a lot of folk that used to go to Cappielow but for whatever reason now do not. I'm not entirely convinced change of ownership would have much of an impact either. I doubt anyone's going to see "Rae Gone" on the back of the Tele one day and be rushing out the door to see us play Dumbarton. New ownership would perhaps bring fresh marketing and engagement ideas, but other than beaming Thomas O'Ware's face onto the moon I'm struggling to think of much else that could be done that isn't already.

I was getting some food before the Rangers cup game last week and the guy serving asked this other guy if he was going to watch Morton today. 

His answer: no, i'm running errands today. 

1. the urge just doesn't seem to be there for some - be that to go along to Cappielow or support us away (especially in a pretty big cup game)

2. who the fuck even says errands. Makes me boak

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I was getting some food before the Rangers cup game last week and the guy serving asked this other guy if he was going to watch Morton today.

His answer: no, i'm running errands today.

1. the urge just doesn't seem to be there for some - be that to go along to Cappielow or support us away (especially in a pretty big cup game)

2. who the **** even says errands. Makes me boak

Aye. Half the folk I know that no longer go claim they have other things to do on a Saturday. My arse, either apent in the house watching Soccer Saturday, or spent in the pub, watching Soccer Saturday. We're not alone in that regard though.

What IS being done already>?

Nothing has to be done other than a tangible display of ambition.

When Rae spoke of plans to get to the SPL years ago it made casual fans sit up and take notice. We as a club appeared driven and it restoked the fires of the fanbase who literally flocked back in their droves.

He spent money and appeared serious in what he was trying to achieve.

Now it's all soundbites none of which will encourage lapsed fans to return.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

What IS being done already>?

The community trust are doing a lot of the leg work but we are involved in schools and obviously offer the Under 12s go free/ £5 for U16s thing, so I think in getting the bairns to go to games we're alright. But, I take your point. If you're a lapsed fan there's nothing really being done to get you back other than word of mouth.

Being able to have a beer at Cappielow - or any ground - would make the experience better and would maybe encourage the people that sit in watching SSN to come along.

Is it just me that thinks sitting in watching scores come in is a bit pish?

See, I think that would work for a few games, puely on a novelty basis. But, at the end of the day folk are still going to have a likely cheaper pint in the warmth of their living room. It'll never happen so long as the ugly sisters play here anyway.

Being able to have a beer at Cappielow - or any ground - would make the experience better and would maybe encourage the people that sit in watching SSN to come along. 

Is it just me that thinks sitting in watching scores come in is a bit pish?

To be fair, I love a day in a pub watching Sky Sports News. That has been one of the most enjoyable things about some of the early kick-offs we've had recently.

*insert signature here*

A wee idea which would be good way of Morton doing something for their hapless neighbours. Play them in a pre-season fundraising friendly - get a trophy and call it The Pride Of Greenock Cup - then absolutely horse them for the privilege of playing us.

We get a trophy and they get enough coppers to pay for their grounds rent. Everyone's a winner.

*insert signature here*

To be fair, I love a day in a pub watching Sky Sports News. That has been one of the most enjoyable things about some of the early kick-offs we've had recently.

Yes, but not when in direct competition with a live Morton game.

Give me a day away in Cowdenbeath over sitting at home. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

The community trust are doing a lot of the leg work but we are involved in schools and obviously offer the Under 12s go free/ £5 for U16s thing, so I think in getting the bairns to go to games we're alright. But, I take your point. If you're a lapsed fan there's nothing really being done to get you back other than word of mouth.

Yeah, that was the point I was getting at. The community trust are doing a great job at positioning the Morton brand as an important part of the community, a brand that cares about the local community and the people within it and also getting people signed up to their initiatives. That's all great and is important for any big institution in a community to do. The younger initiatives will help in getting some future fans on boardtoo.

There's little going on to pitch Morton as a full time, professional football club who play games that people can go and watch and one that should be considered as an entertainment option for people to come spend their money on.

Yeah, that was the point I was getting at. The community trust are doing a great job at positioning the Morton brand as an important part of the community, a brand that cares about the local community and the people within it and also getting people signed up to their initiatives. That's all great and is important for any big institution in a community to do. The younger initiatives will help in getting some future fans on boardtoo.

There's little going on to pitch Morton as a full time, professional football club who play games that people can go and watch and one that should be considered as an entertainment option for people to come spend their money on.

All correct. 

What i would say though, is that we'rein the infancy of Warren's tenure as CEO. I'd like to think that we're also still in the early stages of implementing some of his ideas as a result. 

Something has to be done and there's no time like the present, given we have an entertaining product on the pitch. Yesterday was a prime example of that. Thoroughly enjoyable game of football. 

I'd love to see a proper social club at Cappielow. The one that QoTS have is excellent. If not in Cappielow, something should be done to the Norseman.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived