Duffy - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Duffy

TheGoon

There's been at least three times over the past few months where Duffy has bemoaned us losing a lead or hanging on in his post match interview because they've sat too deep when he's been wanting them to push up a bit. A lot easier said than done though, especially when we have such a young team. We constantly go through 10-15 minute spells most weeks at all different times in the game where we can't get our foot on the ball and invite constant pressure on to us, so it's no surprise that this happens towards the end of the game when nerves are at their highest.

It's a negative about this team amongst a sea of positives and has been since the first day of the season, but the good far outweighs the bad and it's a testament to their heart and commitment that they haven't allowed it to become a major problem this season because we've generally defended our box very well this season, including today i thought.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't there today, but I don't think Duffy makes a conscious decision to sit in on a lead. You can see that in his body language when we do so. Just a consequence of the other team getting on top of possession.

I'd say that is exactly what he does. In the 2 and a half years that Duffy has been here he has been terrific but one thing that we have been guilty of in the past is is going in at half time with a slender lead and coming out and defending for the whole of the second half and drop points because if it. I know that he has came out after games and spoke about how deep we were but surely it's his job to make sure this doesn't happen by discussing it with the squad, working on it at training and making tactical and personnel changes? Today was a prime example of this and for me has been the most frustrating aspect of Duffy's time here. Maybe I'm being harsh but I've had the same opinion since he first came to the club.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I'd say that is exactly what he does. In the 2 and a half years that Duffy has been here he has been terrific but one thing that we have been guilty of in the past is is going in at half time with a slender lead and coming out and defending for the whole of the second half and drop points because if it. I know that he has came out after games and spoke about how deep we were but surely it's his job to make sure this doesn't happen by discussing it with the squad, working on it at training and making tactical and personnel changes? Today was a prime example of this and for me has been the most frustrating aspect of Duffy's time here. Maybe I'm being harsh but I've had the same opinion since he first came to the club.

I seriously doubt that - doesn't chime with his body language during games or his post-match analysis.

ETA: I'm sure yet do talk about/prepare for it - but when a decent teams gets a grip of the ball, and you're tired, it's much easier said than done.

The problem today wasn't "sitting in"; Dundee United simply put us under a lot of pressure in the second half and we didn't have an effective out ball to relieve it. In large part because we simply have backup players playing in the forward positions. Shankland put in as much effort as he could but was ineffective as a forward today.

You're going to come under that pressure at Tannadice; the issue is that we conceded a really soft goal.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Especially hard when we're missing Oliver and Quitongo.

Yes, that's what I was trying (but failed) to get at. I don't really begrudge a weakened Morton team being under pressure away to Dundee United.

EOho8Pw.png

We had this problem a while ago under Duffy. We'd go a goal or two up and then just drop tools seemingly. We stopped it, and look where we are now. Hopefully it isn't back.

We did stop it, Jim even started doing tactical substitutions. Maybe today was an aberration.

With the two pushing forward, I just don't think we need to back off, but it was easy for me today of course, nowhere near Marmalade City.

... proud to be apart from the groupthink tree ...

The front two weren't pushing forward enough to stop Dundee United retaining the ball and attacking again. Shankland isn't quick enough to apply serious pressure to the defenders.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'd honestly be surprised if Duffy moved to Motherwell for what is a very real relegation dog fight. If Motherwell were 10-12 clear of the drop, I could absolutely see him going for it but he seems to be really enjoying it here, will feel very confident about the play offs and seems to have great respect for Rae etc so I just can't see him moving right now.

The timing is poor. If this was June and he'd just guided us into the playoffs (whether we went up or not), and Motherwell were safe, there'd be a decent case for him going (bigger budget etc).

Coming now, with us still fighting for the playoffs, and them still fighting relegation, it's a big risk to take (that could see him out of a job come the summer if it doesn't go well with his stock damaged).

Can't see him going just now (if Motherwell even want him).

If Robinson gets the gig until the end of the season, then we should have more reason to be concerned.

The timing is poor. If this was June and he'd just guided us into the playoffs (whether we went up or not), and Motherwell were safe, there'd be a decent case for him going (bigger budget etc).

Coming now, with us still fighting for the playoffs, and them still fighting relegation, it's a big risk to take (that could see him out of a job come the summer if it doesn't go well with his stock damaged).

Can't see him going just now (if Motherwell even want him).

If Robinson gets the gig until the end of the season, then we should have more reason to be concerned.

Do managers really take that type of approach though? It's like Robbie Neilson joining a relegation battle at MK Dons or Jack Ross joining a winless St Mirren - both left clubs in a very good position where they could have built on their reputation. Even when there's a real risk that it could go wrong very quickly, managers nearly always make the move to the bigger club. 

Do managers really take that type of approach though? It's like Robbie Neilson joining a relegation battle at MK Dons or Jack Ross joining a winless St Mirren - both left clubs in a very good position where they could have built on their reputation. Even when there's a real risk that it could go wrong very quickly, managers nearly always make the move to the bigger club.

Both had more than 2/3 months to turn it around and had a transfer window though. Duffy would be stuck with that squad at Motherwell.

Both had more than 2/3 months to turn it around and had a transfer window though. Duffy would be stuck with that squad at Motherwell.

I still think you're looking a type of logic which usually doesn't rule the decision making of managers when an approach is made. Managers seldom turn down the opportunity to make a move up - bigger salary, bigger budget, better chance of higher division next season, more media exposure, etc.. I think more than anything managers know that football is a fickle business and opportunities to move up can be few and far between, so they grab any such opportunity that comes along. 

I don't think that Motherwell would make a move for Duffy right now, but if they did I think Duffy would take it. I can't be sure, because there are a number of factors that I simply don't know about, but generally speaking a manager will pretty much always make that move - despite many fans thinking that it's an illogical decision.

Jim Duffy is in the first year of a two year contract and while I'm sure Mr Rae wouldn't stand in his way if a really big move came along going to a fan owned club like Motherwell would not come into that category. I don't expect Jim to be going anywhere soon. I certainly hope not.

The one thing that JD has proved over the last couple of years is that he believes in himself, He'll also believe he has what it takes to get more out of a struggling Well outfit than they've showed so far. If the opportunity comes along to manage in the  top league he'd be daft to give it a miss, given how the odds are stacked against championship sides getting promoted.

Hope he proves to be a bit daft.

Archived