Duffy - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Duffy

TheGoon

Kilmarnock are looking for a new manager. Naturally, Duffy's name is being tossed about. A Kilmarnock fan I've just spoken to seems to think he'd "walk over hot coals to manage them." I am not particularly convinced. However, if he was offered the Killie or Dundee job in the summer, if we've failed to gain promotion, could anyone see him taking it?

Both are bigger clubs than Morton, not by much, but have better resources are more money and would offer Duffy the chance to manage in the Premiership again. I can see him being tempted.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we aren't promoted he'd jump at the chance and rightly so.

He had to go down to managing Clyde to rebuild his career so he knows just how fragile the life of a manager can be. Plenty fans wanted him sacked even this season and a bad start next season will see the same calls.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I don't think he would go to Kilmarnock, one thing about Duffy is he is loyal and probably to a fault. wouldn't blame him if he did go but he will be managing us in the SPL next season...................I HOPE

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

I don't think he would go to Kilmarnock, one thing about Duffy is he is loyal and probably to a fault. wouldn't blame him if he did go but he will be managing us in the SPL next season...................I HOPE

Did he not leave Clyde to come to us when still under contract?

Gordon Sawers rant on Facebook is hilarious about Clark leaving worth a look.

Used to be a customer of mine, the guy is a tadge

I have no compunction in saying that if some chap starts throwing grenades or starts using pistols, we shall kill him

I'm more worried about Duffy being offered the Motherwell job.

I'm not terribly concerned about losing Duffy- outwith Morton I still think he's shaking off the reputation that we all tarred him with on arrival, and with age not really on his side I do think it's unlikely he'll be going anywhere.

Related to your point though, I've always had a nagging worry that at some point Mark McGhee will get the Morton job. With him being an ex-Morton player, a perpetual failure in management that always seems to pick up jobs in spite of this, and us having a relatively high turnover of managers, I just hope the day never comes.

I'm not terribly concerned about losing Duffy- outwith Morton I still think he's shaking off the reputation that we all tarred him with on arrival, and with age not really on his side I do think it's unlikely he'll be going anywhere.

Related to your point though, I've always had a nagging worry that at some point Mark McGhee will get the Morton job. With him being an ex-Morton player, a perpetual failure in management that always seems to pick up jobs in spite of this, and us having a relatively high turnover of managers, I just hope the day never comes.

I'm not overly worried about it, but out of the teams that might be looking for a manager at some point in the near future I'd say Motherwell would be the most likely to go for Duffy.

Let's just hope whenever Duffy does leave that McGee isn't his replacement.

I'm not overly worried about it, but out of the teams that might be looking for a manager at some point in the near future I'd say Motherwell would be the most likely to go for Duffy.

Let's just hope whenever Duffy does leave that McGee isn't his replacement.

Aye, but the options for a guy like Duffy are fairly limited. You can rule out the big city clubs (except Dundee and Partick) and anybody in England realistically, whilst he's not going to go to anyone worse off than ourselves. I'd also like to think that he'd fancy the job at Morton ahead of the Highland clubs or Hamilton given travel/potential, so it only really leaves Motherwell, Partick, St. Johnstone and Kilmarnock. The only other possibility would be Falkirk, but like Dundee it's a case been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt.

The McGhee thing is more a concern that I've had for years, when we've been a bit less stable than we are nowadays. Although I probably had the same fear about appointing Duffy.

It'd be hella harsh on him if that was the case. Every challenge he's faced with Morton he's met. Also we're now darlings of the Glasgow media - barely a month goes by without the kind of "Renaissance on the Clyde" articles once reserved for the Accies or even Thistle. If, despite the fact he's built a young squad that's punching well above his weight, he's still regarded as a 4-4-2 dinosaur, that's pretty damn unfair.

I remember scoffing when people pointed out how much John Terry liked him. Terry was and is a complete bam and a decent outside bet for a custodial sentence in the next few years: if someone like Duffy can work with him and help him become one of the best central defenders in the world (in his day) then surely his man-management skills are beyond reproach. He's turned a lot of journeymen into would-be Premiership players. Tactically he can be a bit odd, but the table doesn't lie.

I've gone completely 180 on Duffy, from believing him a no-hoper to thinking he's hard-done-by. I'm not saying he should have got Ian Cathro's job or anything, but if people are really looking at him and saying "oh, he's almost 60, no thanks" it's entirely their loss.

And fair play to DDF as well, it'd be easy to second-guess him and say "oh he got lucky, he only picked him because he knew him already" but, again, the league table and perhaps more importantly the balance sheet don't lie.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived