Hurricane Gaston Heading For Glasgow - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hurricane Gaston Heading For Glasgow

BishopTon

I'm always wary about posters who seem to post almost exclusively about a single issue.

The fact you seem to have checked my previous posts is odd, but yes go back 2 years and I have consistently identified a weak link, goalkeeping is far more than shot stopping, I was able to objectively look at the games and see where poor goalkeeping was blamed on defenders instead. It's just how you watch the game that forms your opinion, I used to be a goalkeeper albeit in Teir 7 of English football, but watch games on that basis.

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

The fact you seem to have checked my previous posts is odd, but yes go back 2 years and I have consistently identified a weak link, goalkeeping is far more than shot stopping, I was able to objectively look at the games and see where poor goalkeeping was blamed on defenders instead. It's just how you watch the game that forms your opinion, I used to be a goalkeeper albeit in Teir 7 of English football, but watch games on that basis.

You watch games on the basis that you used to be a pub league player?

AWMSC

You watch games on the basis that you used to be a pub league player?

Yes.. that's exactly what I meant :-)

Or actually I like to see a decent Goalie and understand that someone who can control the 18yard box is far more useful than a guy who shits himself at every cross... and watching Morton for over 30 years I can count the number of them on one hand..

Yes.. that's exactly what I meant :-)

Or actually I like to see a decent Goalie and understand that someone who can control the 18yard box is far more useful than a guy who s***s himself at every cross... and watching Morton for over 30 years I can count the number of them on one hand..

Anyone who thinks Gaston hasn't, for the most part, been a decent player for Morton over his time here is off their rocker. He's not perfect, but at the end of the day Morton are a mid-table First Divison club at best these days and we're not going to find anyone markedly better, or who isn't prone to giving away goals here and there. If there was a keeper strong in every area who didn't give away goals, he'd be nowhere near Morton.

AWMSC

Tier 7, clearly an authority then. He is a reasonable keeper at this level.  Give it a rest! 

To be fair tier 7 in England has some decent players in it.

Edit: sorry I take it back, Shilts posted while I was writing and called it a "stationary kick" so he's a wrong 'un, as you were lads

EOho8Pw.png

He can't even kick the ball in play from a stationary kick.. what game do you guys watch every week... he is a joke...

I watch the games in a reasonably objective manner. I would encourage you to do the same my friend.

I watch the games in a reasonably objective manner. I would encourage you to do the same my friend.

I do.. thanks for your comments.. like I said I don't blame the defence for our Goalies errors... like most of here seem to with blaming our defence.

Gaston was fine coming off his line for ages, he's not exactly Chilavert but he was fine for our level. Yes, his distribution is poor but his box game really was OK until he went off form. If you want to recall a keeper who could only stop shots at Morton consider Craig Coyle. Gaston is fifty times better than him at crosses. BT is being way too harsh on him.

EOho8Pw.png

I do.. thanks for your comments.. like I said I don't blame the defence for our Goalies errors... like most of here seem to with blaming our defence.

It's possible for more than one player to be at fault. Honestly from reading your posts I bet you watch the games through gritted teeth, muttering "that could have been me" when Sir Gats effortlessly plucks another inswinger from amidst a crowd of heads. Unlucks.

EOho8Pw.png

I honestly haven't gone back to check any of your posts. Your over the top criticism of Gaston sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd take your opinion more seriously if it wasn't so over the top.

Having watched goalkeepers at this level for so long you should realise what the standard is like. Gaston has been as good a keeper as we've had for a long time. That's mostly because finding a good goalkeeper at this level is a bit like finding a good left back at this level - there aren't many.

Bring back Colin Stewart. He was good.

Ill never forget the time he made an unbelievable save then went to catch the ball immediately after and dropped it in the net :lol:

Or when he won some award at an event in Inverclyde and dropped the prize.

Ill never forget the time he made an unbelievable save then went to catch the ball immediately after and dropped it in the net :lol:

Or when he won some award at an event in Inverclyde and dropped the prize.

That was against Ross County. Already 1-0 down in stoppage time, worth the entry fee alone. :D

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

his distribution is poor 

I don't meant this to have a go at your post in particular but since you've brought it up...

I've always found this to be a pretty ridiculous criteria to judge a keeper on, it's one of them bizarre phrases that gained a lot of traction in the last few years without really seeming to have any actual meaning. If we were Barcelona and required a ter Stegen type to spray the ball at the back, then it'd be a fair point but keepers in Scotland almost invariably blooter the ball up the far end of the pitch as soon as they get it. Until such times as we acquire a  keeper who starts toe-beeing the ball so wildly that it spins over his head into his own goal, I'm fairly ambivalent about a keeper's "distribution being poor"; it's largely more concerning that we usually have outfielders who can't hit a 10 yard pass than a goalie who can't land the ball on a five pence piece from forty yards.

AWMSC

Archived