East Kilbride, Celtic And The Scottish Cup - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

East Kilbride, Celtic And The Scottish Cup

EanieMeany

Been discussing this on Facebook with a few folk, so thought I'd bring it up on here too.

What's everyone's thoughts on the big drama surrounding the venue for the East Kilbride v Celtic cup-tie? The whinging from EK about their "demand" for tickets seems quite ridiculous to me, the idea of a team who don't have a ground worth mentioning thinking their entitled to use Hampden or Parkhead is vaguely insulting to other clubs who can host matches perfectly well. Why on earth should a team get an advantage out of playing in what isn't far off a public park? The situation surrounding the use of New Douglas Park seems a little odd, but the criticism from quarters directed at the SFA for the choice seems a bit silly.

More broadly, what's the thoughts on junior teams in the Scottish Cup in general? I'm not entirely sure I see the point - to be perfectly honest, with a tie like this one it just seems like letting a decent sum of money drop out of the senior game for no real return. Let's face it, EK getting a hounding by Celtic's youth team on live TV is a pretty honking advert for Scottish football...not least because it doesn't say much for the other ties if it's deemed the most attractive.

(I know this was probably mentioned at the time, but seeing as this is the first big game involving one of them...)

AWMSC

EK are senior, not junior. 

But if EK don't like rule 13 they can feel free not to enter and instead to compete in the Honest Jum's Breakfast Van Shield or whatever.

That said it's hilarious seeing how the SFA fucked it up by picking a ground that's not even available.

EOho8Pw.png

Been discussing this on Facebook with a few folk, so thought I'd bring it up on here too.

What's everyone's thoughts on the big drama surrounding the venue for the East Kilbride v Celtic cup-tie? The whinging from EK about their "demand" for tickets seems quite ridiculous to me, the idea of a team who don't have a ground worth mentioning thinking their entitled to use Hampden or Parkhead is vaguely insulting to other clubs who can host matches perfectly well. Why on earth should a team get an advantage out of playing in what isn't far off a public park? The situation surrounding the use of New Douglas Park seems a little odd, but the criticism from quarters directed at the SFA for the choice seems a bit silly.

More broadly, what's the thoughts on junior teams in the Scottish Cup in general? I'm not entirely sure I see the point - to be perfectly honest, with a tie like this one it just seems like letting a decent sum of money drop out of the senior game for no real return. Let's face it, EK getting a hounding by Celtic's youth team on live TV is a pretty honking advert for Scottish football...not least because it doesn't say much for the other ties if it's deemed the most attractive.

(I know this was probably mentioned at the time, but seeing as this is the first big game involving one of them...)

I don't think East Kilbride are a junior team.

But any team entering the competition should be made to play at their home ground if drawn at home, even if it means Celtic only getting 100 tickets.

I don't think East Kilbride are a junior team.

But any team entering the competition should be made to play at their home ground if drawn at home, even if it means Celtic only getting 100 tickets.

Meanwhile, on planet earth, the police have already KB'd that because they know hundreds more Celtic fans would appear and some would be up for 'bather.'

EOho8Pw.png

Correct, East Kilbride Thistle is the Junior team. East Kilbride play in the Lowland League.

Ah, right...oops :ph34r: Just assumed it was the same thing, wasn't aware there was two teams from there, my mistake! (Just Googled them...admitted to the SFA in 2014, so explains the confusion. I also note the chairman is one Mike Peden...is that the same chancer that was creeping about these parts during the Scott era??)

Anyway, there's still junior teams in participating in the competition, so the questions remains valid, I suppose... :blush:

AWMSC

To answer that question, imo inviting the Juniors was a generous overture and an (extremely small) step towards unification. I agreed with the decision at the time and I can still see what it was made.

The baws-oot ingratitude and feet-on-the-table entitlement of the mutant clubs, though, should see them booted out at our earliest convenience. Fuck those guys.

EOho8Pw.png

Game has moved to Airdrie.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Last time I checked, Morton play in the Scottish Cup.

Aye, but remember Dr. Zhivago didn't like seeing the word "Rangers" at the top of the main forum.

Anyway, onto East Kilbride. I've always been of the opinion that clubs' should be forced to play cup ties at their registered grounds, but can see why K Park would have massive difficulties hosting Morton, let alone Celtic. It's located inside a massive country park with only a single lane for driving into it. I can't see any way the police would allow a Celtic game in there with the potential amount of hiding spots within the park for them to be drinking, and more importantly, given their penchant for pyros, setting them alight in such a large woodland area. My personal preference would be for them to erect temporary stands at the athletics stadium at Whitemoss in the town but as it's not a registered stadium it's not an option.

That said, the tie's reminded me of Scott's actions ahead of our tie with Rangers (RIP) in 2000. The SFA rules IIRC are that if you can't host the game at your own ground, it goes to the nearest suitable venue, but he hankered as much as possible to move that tie to Hampden in order to cash in. I wouldn't be surprised if East Kilbride had suggested to Accies that it might be in everyone's best interests to say they won't be hosting the game. I'd imagine the next nearest grounds would be either Hampden or Celtic Park (so, Hampden) and East Kilbride would be thinking that a crowd of say, 15,000 at that could pay off Hamilton to say nothing whilst also increasing their own takings from the game. Good to see the SFA have said it's at Airdrie.

I did read on the local rag's site that they think there could be about 5000 East Kilbride "fans" wanting to go to the game and they don't want to upset Celtic by giving them too small an allocation and then risk segregation problems. Quite how they can say K Park, with it's 650 capacity was above New Douglas Park on their list of preferred venues I don't know then. And segregation problems? Come on, it's not exactly Galatasaray v Fenerbahce.

East Kilbride have, IMHO come out of the whole affair very badly. This is their first real shot at putting themselves on the map and letting people know who they are, but they've appeared more interested in bleeding as much money out of it as possible, which is a real shame.

I often go to K Park if they're playing midweek and I'm free, and was tempted to go to this game given that it's the Sunday, but I've been really put off by their attitude to it all. Still hope they beat the fuckers though!

Aye, but remember Dr. Zhivago didn't like seeing the word "Rangers" at the top of the main forum.

Anyway, onto East Kilbride. I've always been of the opinion that clubs' should be forced to play cup ties at their registered grounds, but can see why K Park would have massive difficulties hosting Morton, let alone Celtic. It's located inside a massive country park with only a single lane for driving into it. I can't see any way the police would allow a Celtic game in there with the potential amount of hiding spots within the park for them to be drinking, and more importantly, given their penchant for pyros, setting them alight in such a large woodland area. My personal preference would be for them to erect temporary stands at the athletics stadium at Whitemoss in the town but as it's not a registered stadium it's not an option.

That said, the tie's reminded me of Scott's actions ahead of our tie with Rangers (RIP) in 2000. The SFA rules IIRC are that if you can't host the game at your own ground, it goes to the nearest suitable venue, but he hankered as much as possible to move that tie to Hampden in order to cash in. I wouldn't be surprised if East Kilbride had suggested to Accies that it might be in everyone's best interests to say they won't be hosting the game. I'd imagine the next nearest grounds would be either Hampden or Celtic Park (so, Hampden) and East Kilbride would be thinking that a crowd of say, 15,000 at that could pay off Hamilton to say nothing whilst also increasing their own takings from the game. Good to see the SFA have said it's at Airdrie.

I did read on the local rag's site that they think there could be about 5000 East Kilbride "fans" wanting to go to the game and they don't want to upset Celtic by giving them too small an allocation and then risk segregation problems. Quite how they can say K Park, with it's 650 capacity was above New Douglas Park on their list of preferred venues I don't know then. And segregation problems? Come on, it's not exactly Galatasaray v Fenerbahce.

East Kilbride have, IMHO come out of the whole affair very badly. This is their first real shot at putting themselves on the map and letting people know who they are, but they've appeared more interested in bleeding as much money out of it as possible, which is a real shame.

I often go to K Park if they're playing midweek and I'm free, and was tempted to go to this game given that it's the Sunday, but I've been really put off by their attitude to it all. Still hope they beat the fuckers though!

From this outsider's perspective EK just seem like a bunch of dicks, right down to the 1871 'formation' date on their logo. I don't really blame them for wanting to make a bit of scratch off this but their usual haughty arrogance, combined with the "we deserve clarity :angry: " statement (right out of the Celtic playbook, appropriately enough) leaves a sour taste.

Now, that said, I do think there could be segregation issues because any one-off game like this will also attract local Rangers fans from EK.

EOho8Pw.png

From this outsider's perspective EK just seem like a bunch of dicks, right down to the 1871 'formation' date on their logo. I don't really blame them for wanting to make a bit of scratch off this but their usual haughty arrogance, combined with the "we deserve clarity :angry: " statement (right out of the Celtic playbook, appropriately enough) leaves a sour taste.

Now, that said, I do think there could be segregation issues because any one-off game like this will also attract local Rangers fans from EK.

The formation date's a weird one. Think they were a merger of two amateur clubs, hence the date of the oldest on the badge- but aye, it's a nonsense. I even felt that once the tie was drawn, they seemed to treat it as a forgone conclusion that it would be they, and not LTHV who would get through the to play Celtic.

Regarding the segregation though, how many in the crowd of up to 5000 East Kilbride supporters will actually be East Kilbride supporters? I'd say it would be double figures, 60-70? The rest will be fans or Rangers and even Celtic fans from the town, and maybe the odd guy like myself that supports someone else. It's an absolute stick on that there'll be a mix of clubs' fans in that crowd anyway. How they manage it is the only real issue. That would have happened in any of their chosen venues and doesn't really cut it as a reason not to hold it at Hamilton.

Too long, didn't read.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

The formation date's a weird one. Think they were a merger of two amateur clubs, hence the date of the oldest on the badge- but aye, it's a nonsense. I even felt that once the tie was drawn, they seemed to treat it as a forgone conclusion that it would be they, and not LTHV who would get through the to play Celtic.

Regarding the segregation though, how many in the crowd of up to 5000 East Kilbride supporters will actually be East Kilbride supporters? I'd say it would be double figures, 60-70? The rest will be fans or Rangers and even Celtic fans from the town, and maybe the odd guy like myself that supports someone else. It's an absolute stick on that there'll be a mix of clubs' fans in that crowd anyway. How they manage it is the only real issue. That would have happened in any of their chosen venues and doesn't really cut it as a reason not to hold it at Hamilton.

That's the thing - the amateur club went under in the 19th century. There isn't a club with anything even approaching an unbroken record of football in EK from 1871 (or 1873 for that matter). Source: Brian McColl's spreadsheet here: http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk/club-directory.html .

None of Stewartfield, Jackton, or EK Diamonds are even approaching 150 years old (Stewarfield in particular were founded in 2000.)

Put it this way: Sevco claiming continuity with the old club is less of a cheek because at least they formed right after and joined the league with the same name etc. This is just posturing. EK was formed in 2010.

I realize this is a really petty thing to get exercised about but what can I say, Morton's 1874 formation date is a source of pride for me and when other clubs just say "oh yeah we're dead old too" it cheapens it a bit.

EOho8Pw.png

I go the impression that they knew fine well the SFA would say NDP was the first alternative, hence why they put it at the bottom of their list so they could piss and moan about it. It seems odd that Hamilton took a few days to say NDP was unavailable too, for all the SFA's failings I find it hard to imagine Hamilton wouldn't have had some kind of inclination that they're ground was potentially being lined up either when they draw was made or after the replay; certainly, you'd think someone there reads some kind of news outlet. I don't think either of the three parties emerges well from this.

As you say, it appears K Park probably couldn't deal with Morton at this stage of the tournament (and probably not earlier). It does beg the question of what the point of having teams in the tournament who can't host games in it, to be honest. I like getting drawn against non-league teams, but at the same time if the club isn't capable of hosting even a fairly low-profile tie like Morton then that seems to be quite a sizeable failing.

AWMSC

Archived