Boosting Attendance's - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Boosting Attendance's

Mr.Blue

Rather than come up with ideas we think may attract people maybe we should first find out why they don't turn up. There must be many reasons that we can’t get enough support through the gates each week.

One of the things that must be a factor is the amount of folk who used to come to Cappielow regularly but have since stopped. The majority of punters don’t bother with this forum so it’s a possibility that the cross-section of opinion on here isn’t representative everyone with an allegiance to Morton. It could be the case that some people aren’t turning up as there may not be the same confidence in the town as there is among the core fan base. They maybe some who don’t look through rose-tinted glasses and see what some on here get slated for; the deficiencies in the team; it’s probably akin to glory-hunting. I’m certainly not saying that is the case though, it’s just a guess.

What seems to be the case, though, is that most folk aren’t as daft as us who follow the team through thick and thin. So, by the nature of it, I don’t know if it is something that we can solve on here. What we need to find out then is why they don’t go as often and what exactly are they are looking for on a match day. As it seems to be the consensus that there are plenty of lapsed supporters out there then the big question is, although the team are playing better than they have in years, what’s keeping them away? If they’ve come to games in the past then they must know that we’re never going to be world-beaters but there is an attraction that made them go in the first place. So, what’s changed?

Then, there is also the difficult job of attracting new fans. I don’t believe the myth that some OF fans like to revel in is that nobody is interested in football anymore. TV audiences for the big games and the amount of people who play locally show this. So if they like football why are these folk not getting off their Lazyboys and going to games?

We all attend for our own reasons so it’s not us that anyone should be asking. I think that it may well be worthwhile carrying out some sort of market research to find out what would attract these people into Cappielow. It might be a good idea to make an investment in this rather than us die-hards trying to read the minds of people who think differently from us.

I think you got it right when you said:

'What seems to be the case, though, is that most folk aren’t as daft as us who follow the team through thick and thin.'.

Why bother wasting money on market research?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rather than come up with ideas we think may attract people maybe we should first find out why they don't turn up. There must be many reasons that we can’t get enough support through the gates each week.

One of the things that must be a factor is the amount of folk who used to come to Cappielow regularly but have since stopped. The majority of punters don’t bother with this forum so it’s a possibility that the cross-section of opinion on here isn’t representative everyone with an allegiance to Morton. It could be the case that some people aren’t turning up as there may not be the same confidence in the town as there is among the core fan base. They maybe some who don’t look through rose-tinted glasses and see what some on here get slated for; the deficiencies in the team; it’s probably akin to glory-hunting. I’m certainly not saying that is the case though, it’s just a guess.

What seems to be the case, though, is that most folk aren’t as daft as us who follow the team through thick and thin. So, by the nature of it, I don’t know if it is something that we can solve on here. What we need to find out then is why they don’t go as often and what exactly are they are looking for on a match day. As it seems to be the consensus that there are plenty of lapsed supporters out there then the big question is, although the team are playing better than they have in years, what’s keeping them away? If they’ve come to games in the past then they must know that we’re never going to be world-beaters but there is an attraction that made them go in the first place. So, what’s changed?

Then, there is also the difficult job of attracting new fans. I don’t believe the myth that some OF fans like to revel in is that nobody is interested in football anymore. TV audiences for the big games and the amount of people who play locally show this. So if they like football why are these folk not getting off their Lazyboys and going to games?

We all attend for our own reasons so it’s not us that anyone should be asking. I think that it may well be worthwhile carrying out some sort of market research to find out what would attract these people into Cappielow. It might be a good idea to make an investment in this rather than us die-hards trying to read the minds of people who think differently from us.

Easy answer, scottish football is boring, corrupt & rigged towards 2 clubs, the folk who run the game would struggle to run a bath between them.

I've said it before, but i wont be back until there are major changes in the whole game in scotland, i refuse to waste my money anymore.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels that way.

The future just ain't what it used to be

Easy answer, scottish football is boring, corrupt & rigged towards 2 clubs, the folk who run the game would struggle to run a bath between them.

I've said it before, but i wont be back until there are major changes in the whole game in scotland, i refuse to waste my money anymore.

I'm sure i'm not the only one who feels that way.

I would agree with the corrupt & rigged but Morton this season have been far from boring. This is the point. There is great entertainment to had at Cappielow this season.

I would agree with the corrupt & rigged but Morton this season have been far from boring. This is the point. There is great entertainment to had at Cappielow this season.

Only 1700 there to see it today, disappointing turnout again.

Along the track the train came puffin, Morton 1 Celtic nuffin.

Only 1700 there to see it today, disappointing turnout again.

Unbelievably poor attendance. Maybe if we have a game to clinch the title we'll get over 2000...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Unbelievably poor attendance. Maybe if we have a game to clinch the title we'll get over 2000...

Would have predicted about 1700-1800 against Airdrie... so no surprise. Crowds are poor... many people are interested, but just aren't going to games. I can only say that many of those expressing their surprise/disappointment at the numbers turning up at games must either be very comfortably off and/or single!

Would have predicted about 1700-1800 against Airdrie... so no surprise. Crowds are poor... many people are interested, but just aren't going to games. I can only say that those expressing their surprise/disappointment at the numbers turning up at games are either very comfortably off and/or single!

Can't agree with that. A Morton side hitting April with an outside chance of winning the league title should be drawing more than 1700. Only 2 months ago we had another 500 on top of that for a run of the mill game.

Thistle fans are also concerned about their attendances this season

Most teams are seeing a drop in crowds, and it's mainly down to the whole of the UK being in a recession (or close to it)

Football is like going to the cinema for many. If you don't have the cash you don't go.

I can almost guarantee though that we will have more than or about 1700 fans at Firhill on Wednesday night.

Can't agree with that. A Morton side hitting April with an outside chance of winning the league title should be drawing more than 1700. Only 2 months ago we had another 500 on top of that for a run of the mill game.

Erm yes: and between then and now Morton have chucked away utterly ridiculous points at Hamilton and Raith - losing our lead into the bargain. As I've stated often before, the club have a track record of glorious failure, and you simply cannot expect the local community to buy into a side that are not only clear bookies underdogs (as we have been for the entirety of the season) but also one that has visibly 'bottled it' in the misleading, popular sense over the past few weeks.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If only we had some more Uberfans! :D

There are many reasons why folk are not turning up, here are just some of them:

1). Up until this season the team have largely delivered mediocrity and disappointment, even winning the second division was laboured and an anti-climax.

2). The country is facing some of the most economically challenging times in decades. People are not as well off, find themselves out of work and many who are in work are having to work longer thus laving less time for recreational pursuits. Some work "flexible" shift patterns meaning they work weekends sometimes and would have to take a holiday for a game.

3). Going to the football is not cheap.

4). Family commitments

5). Finishing second whilst great gives nothing in terms of playoff or promotion and some will see us as likely second place after Hamilton and Raith results.

6). It's the Easter school holidays and there will be folk away on holiday.

Crowds are down across the country.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

1). Up until this season the team have largely delivered mediocrity and disappointment, even winning the second division was laboured and an anti-climax.

2). The country is facing some of the most economically challenging times in decades. People are not as well off, find themselves out of work and many who are in work are having to work longer thus laving less time for recreational pursuits. Some work "flexible" shift patterns meaning they work weekends sometimes and would have to take a holiday for a game.

4). Family commitments

5). Finishing second whilst great gives nothing in terms of playoff or promotion and some will see us as likely second place after Hamilton and Raith results.

Spot on. Reasons are wide and varied, but all valid.

I am sure there will be more Ton fans in Maryhill on Wednesday night as there were in Cappielow on Saturday afternoon.

I know some who have saved their cash for this game by missing the previous 2, and also quite a few neutrals in Glasgow who will be coming along and supporting the Ton.

As has been mentioned, this is perhaps Scottish football's ONLY big league game this season

Up by 36% from our last home game against airdrie united. In any other business this type of growth in a period of less than 6 months would be seen as a massive success, but since this is Morton our resident doom mongers continue with the weekly "attendence was a joke" rants.

Oh and another thing - it has taken 10 years of mediocrity and under achievement(with some woeful teams during that period) to actually erode our core support down to its current level. You cannot expect to turn around such terminal decline in 1 season(no matter how great a season we have had) - it's going to take time to get the punters back.

You simply cannot wave a magic wand and the crowds will go back to what they were 10 years ago - we need a sustained period of success and improvement on the pitch before this will happen.

Then finally, as others have mentioned, you need to take the economic climate into consideration. Many people who used to be regulars now need to pick and choose the games they attend.

To be honest I am starting to get bored with hearing the same moans week in week out about crowd numbers. It is what it is, and we have went over this argument umpteen times this season so I see no point in continuously moaning about it.

Erm yes: and between then and now Morton have chucked away utterly ridiculous points at Hamilton and Raith - losing our lead into the bargain. As I've stated often before, the club have a track record of glorious failure, and you simply cannot expect the local community to buy into a side that are not only clear bookies underdogs (as we have been for the entirety of the season) but also one that has visibly 'bottled it' in the misleading, popular sense over the past few weeks.

:unsure:

4). Family commitments

All self evident and I agree with you they have an impact, but it's still hard to accept that we still can't break 2000 when we're in last chance saloon.

Have to say, the club must be rightfully scunnered at the lack of additional folk through the gates despite having our best season in ages.

I would have hoped to have routinely seen crowds up at the 2,500 and nudging 3,000. Admittedly the weather hasn't helped but with only a few home games left, the club will rightly feel that we have missed an opportunity to boost Morton's finances during a good season - which will surely limit our ambition for next season (especially if we stay in the 1st).

Thing is - we can still pull decent crowds for the odd big game so it shows people are out there, but they just have other commitments and can only attend a handful of games in a season.

The club is priced very fairly, in the context of the division, and when you think a few seasons ago clubs like St Johnstone and Dundee were charing £18 in - £15 is hardly robbery. Are there really 1000 people would would turn up it it was £13 or £14?!?

When a team are going for the title, people can find £15 every other week. It seems they just choose not to.

I think Raith was £17 last week!!

The Raith and Hamilton matches were disappointing, and big set backs, but I wouldn't call dropping points away from home to those sides "utterly ridiculous." Both teams have taken something from Partick too, and both - despite having had poor seasons - have enough good players to cause any team in this league some problems. Any team challenging for a title will drop points along the way, sometimes in the strangest places, the important thing is how the team responds to that. By and large we've responded very well to any setbacks, hence we are in the position to reclaim top spot with a win on Wednesday. There were fans ready to chuck in the towel after both games, which says more about our support (and maybe our history too) than it does about this team's ability and bottle.

All of this is really to say - set backs happen. And if there are people who will turn away from an otherwise successful and entertaining season because of the odd set back along the way then, yes, that's their prerogative, but the club can do nothing about that and cannot realistically hope to win them back in the short term.

I would have hoped to have routinely seen crowds up at the 2,500 and nudging 3,000. Admittedly the weather hasn't helped but with only a few home games left, the club will rightly feel that we have missed an opportunity to boost Morton's finances during a good season - which will surely limit our ambition for next season (especially if we stay in the 1st).

This, for me, is the big worry. If we can't rely on 2000+ when we are playing good football, at the right end of the league, then - if we fail to go up - the club has a decision to make as to how it approaches next season.

Obviously there will be an increase, but next seasons attendances will be interesting.

Will we see an increase in the number of home fans if we are in the SPL? Some glory hunters crawling out of the woodwork perhaps...

If we don't go up I can see attendances plummeting and us really struggling next year.

Obviously there will be an increase, but next seasons attendances will be interesting.

Will we see an increase in the number of home fans if we are in the SPL? Some glory hunters crawling out of the woodwork perhaps...

If we don't go up I can see attendances plummeting and us really struggling next year.

I tend to agree with this. I see this season as an 'all or nothing' effort to get up to the big league and that we will go back to mid-table fodder next season if we fail to get promotion. If we are still in the first then Tidser will almost certainly be sold and he is such a crucial part of our set-up. Also the league will be much stronger next season with Dundee and Queen of the South back in the fold. If the above is correct then I can see us having attendances of between 1000-1500 for most games next season.

If we are in the SPL then I would think that we would average about 4-5000 (including larger away supports) over the first five or six home games, before it falls away to about 3000 or so (as we will probably be isolated at the bottom a la Dundee).

Mon the Ton

I tend to agree with this. I see this season as an 'all or nothing' effort to get up to the big league and that we will go back to mid-table fodder next season if we fail to get promotion. If we are still in the first then Tidser will almost certainly be sold and he is such a crucial part of our set-up. Also the league will be much stronger next season with Dundee and Queen of the South back in the fold. If the above is correct then I can see us having attendances of between 1000-1500 for most games next season.

If we are in the SPL then I would think that we would average about 4-5000 (including larger away supports) over the first five or six home games, before it falls away to about 3000 or so (as we will probably be isolated at the bottom a la Dundee).

If we are fortunate enough to grace the SPL with our presence our crowds will depend on two things:

1) How well we are performing

2) Where we play our home games.

FIRST DIVISION RUNNERS UP 2012/13

Hey Man - Enough of your Stupidness

Archived